2014 NFL #1 Draft Pick

Road Crew: Jadeveon Clowney 97-yard touchdown run - YouTube

Yeah, that hit today was absolutely freaking brutal. He’s definitely going to be a high draft pick, barring injury.

That being said, it’d be no surprise to see a team reach at #1 for a QB pick (as will probably happen this year with Geno Smith,) so I’d definitely say his status as the bonafide #1 isn’t solidified at all.

I saw this live and it was nasty. The best part is him snatching the ball up with the left hand.

Haha, that was such a sweet hit. If that was an NFL game the refs probably would have thrown a flag for a defenseless and scared running back.

He’s good but he’s no Manti Te’o…

…he might just be better!

But seriously, he says he’s going to win the Heisman, c’mon that’s pretty amateur.

That might be the biggest hit I’ve ever seen, especially considering the timing (after the BS first down).

I’d like to find the person who encouraged this kid to play football and personally thank them for allowing us to see him play.

And I’m a Michigan fan, devout and rabid supporter.

After that hit I thought to myself: “That’s ballgame.”

The ol’ Ball Coach, for whatever reason, found some lightning in a bottle with Clowney. No telling what this kid is capable of next year and into the pros.

We all thought Nebraska’s Suh was going to be the gamechanger for DL’s, but Clowney is a whole new spectacle all by himself. I haven’t seen footspeed like that out of a down lineman EVER and I’m focused on line play when I’m watching games. He hits like a truck and makes offensive scheming a nightmare.

In the first half of that game yesterday he made a backside pursuit tackle 8 yards down the field from a motherfucking PASS PLAY. He literally got to the ball after it left the QB’s hands in roughly six steps, got there before any of the secondary could come off their zone responsibility.

Guys, he’s crazy good and the sky is the limit barring a fuckup or serious injury.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I’d like to find the person who encouraged this kid to play football and personally thank them for allowing us to see him play.

The ol’ Ball Coach, for whatever reason, found some lightning in a bottle with Clowney. No telling what this kid is capable of next year and into the pros.

We all thought Nebraska’s Suh was going to be the gamechanger for DL’s, but Clowney is a whole new spectacle all by himself. I haven’t seen footspeed like that out of a down lineman EVER and I’m focused on line play when I’m watching games. He hits like a truck and makes offensive scheming a nightmare.

In the first half of that game yesterday he made a backside pursuit tackle 8 yards down the field from a motherfucking PASS PLAY. He literally got to the ball after it left the QB’s hands in roughly six steps, got there before any of the secondary could come off their zone responsibility.

Guys, he’s crazy good and the sky is the limit barring a fuckup or serious injury.

[/quote]

This guy brings me back to the thread about what sports produce the best athletes, or whatever the exact title was. absolute freak

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[/quote]

This guy brings me back to the thread about what sports produce the best athletes, or whatever the exact title was. absolute freak
[/quote]
But this kid could not play basketball with Jordan so obviously Basketball produces the best athletes. Damnit man when will you ever learn.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
But this kid could not play basketball with Jordan so obviously Basketball produces the best athletes. Damnit man when will you ever learn.[/quote]

Take a charge against jordan, and when crowley doesnt move and jordan doesnt get back up, he can dunk on his corpse. D linemen are starting to get scary freaky athletic

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
But this kid could not play basketball with Jordan so obviously Basketball produces the best athletes. Damnit man when will you ever learn.[/quote]

Take a charge against jordan, and when crowley doesnt move and jordan doesnt get back up, he can dunk on his corpse. D linemen are starting to get scary freaky athletic [/quote]

I can see that. I agree and in 10 years what will it look like? Now that is scary

From the standpoint of line play, I can see the attraction in gravitating toward playing on the defensive side of the ball.

When you’re an OL, you protect, clear holes, protect some more, push and pull to keep a guy in front of you who often has a downhill/running headstart. Your only real fun is the rare play when you get to pull and potentially clean someone elses clock, but even that depends on at least three other guys getting their big asses off the line and out of your way. There’s a snap count to remember, blitz pick-ups, inside to outside responsibility depending on play, etc. It’s truly thankless and completely sans positive recognition, only negative. It’s brainy, white-knighty, and devoid of individual accolades until pro-bowl votes come out.

However, on the defense, you get to go huntin.

And if that killer instinct in your personality, you have a good fuckin time on the other side of the ball.

I think in order to combat this uprising of incredibly athletic and nasty DL’s, the OL positions have to respond somehow. To make it more “fun.”

It’s going to be interesting to see this thing unfold, and it’s pretty fun to see the chess match. Clowney was up against a senior Tackle from Michigan (Taylor Lewann) who is/was ranked as a top 15 OL coming out for the draft. While Lewann did prove serviceable for his responsibility, Clowney still got his. How do you find and develop a “Clowney-stopper?”

It’s yet to be seen.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
It’s going to be interesting to see this thing unfold, and it’s pretty fun to see the chess match. Clowney was up against a senior Tackle from Michigan (Taylor Lewann) who is/was ranked as a top 15 OL coming out for the draft. [/quote]

Hell, Lewan is ranked as Top 3 on most preliminary Mock reports I’ve read at this point, right behind those two TAMU tackles.

But good point with your overall sentiment. I still hold that a dominant defensive player will win the individual match-up over a dominant offensive player most of the time, due to natural inherent dispositions. - But that could also be my natural bias towards defense coming out.

FWIW guys,

Clowney went unblocked. Tackle blocked down, TE went deep to pick up an LB and the FB leaked out to pick up the CB. Clowney got to Smith untouched. How the motherfuck that happens is baffling, but there you go.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

From the standpoint of line play, I can see the attraction in gravitating toward playing on the defensive side of the ball.

When you’re an OL, you protect, clear holes, protect some more, push and pull to keep a guy in front of you who often has a downhill/running headstart. Your only real fun is the rare play when you get to pull and potentially clean someone elses clock, but even that depends on at least three other guys getting their big asses off the line and out of your way. There’s a snap count to remember, blitz pick-ups, inside to outside responsibility depending on play, etc. It’s truly thankless and completely sans positive recognition, only negative. It’s brainy, white-knighty, and devoid of individual accolades until pro-bowl votes come out.

However, on the defense, you get to go huntin.

And if that killer instinct in your personality, you have a good fuckin time on the other side of the ball.

I think in order to combat this uprising of incredibly athletic and nasty DL’s, the OL positions have to respond somehow. To make it more “fun.”

It’s going to be interesting to see this thing unfold, and it’s pretty fun to see the chess match. Clowney was up against a senior Tackle from Michigan (Taylor Lewann) who is/was ranked as a top 15 OL coming out for the draft. While Lewann did prove serviceable for his responsibility, Clowney still got his. How do you find and develop a “Clowney-stopper?”

It’s yet to be seen. [/quote]

Playing OL can be fun as hell. You get to beat the hell out of the guy you’re assigned to block every play, all day. You don’t have to worry about finding a ball carrier, or whether it’s run or pass (since you already know), you just have to beat the fuck out of the dude across from you. It’s all in how you approach it.

There are some nasty motherfuckers playing O-line.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:How do you find and develop a “Clowney-stopper?”
[/quote]

Playing OL can be fun as hell. You get to beat the hell out of the guy you’re assigned to block every play, all day. You don’t have to worry about finding a ball carrier, or whether it’s run or pass (since you already know), you just have to beat the fuck out of the dude across from you. It’s all in how you approach it.

There are some nasty motherfuckers playing O-line.[/quote]

Joe Thomas would give clowney something to think about. But he is also a 6 time pro-bowler and imho the best left tackle in the NFL.

Okay, hypothetical scenarios and all -

Jonathan Ogden vs Reggie White. Who wins the most times out of 10 on a 5-step drop-back, and why?

(Feel free to sub with Orlando Pace / Willie Roaf - LT / Bruce Smith / Deacon Jones, etc.)

[quote]SSC wrote:
Okay, hypothetical scenarios and all -

Jonathan Ogden vs Reggie White. Who wins the most times out of 10 on a 5-step drop-back, and why?

(Feel free to sub with Orlando Pace / Willie Roaf - LT / Bruce Smith / Deacon Jones, etc.)[/quote]

Can Deacon still swat 'em in the head?

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
FWIW guys,

Clowney went unblocked. Tackle blocked down, TE went deep to pick up an LB and the FB leaked out to pick up the CB. Clowney got to Smith untouched. How the motherfuck that happens is baffling, but there you go. [/quote]
Looked like the Tackle was trying to hook Clowney he just was to fast off the ball for the tackle to reach and the RB was probably going off tackle to the left.

It was just a tackle. It didnt even cause a fumble…