T Nation

2014 IFBB Pro Schedule. Has The Wind Shifted?


#1

Even at the professional level, this schedule I think reveals the gradual shift towards Physique. Many shows on this list don't even have bodybuilding :frowning:

2014 IFBB Pro Schedule
Bodybuiding, Physique, Fitness, Figure, & Bikini

***** FEBRUARY *****

Feb 1 - Legends Pro - Las Vegas, Nevada
Bikini
Feb 28 - Arnold Classic - Columbus, Ohio
Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure, Bikini

***** MARCH *****

Mar 7 -Australian Pro Grand Prix - Melbourne, Australia
Bodybuilding, Figure, Bikini
Mar 8 - St. Louis Pro - St. Louis, Missouri
Figure, Bikini, Women's Physique
Mar 8 - Musclecontest.com Pro - Culver City, California
Bikini

Mar 28 - Battle on the Beach Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Bikini, Masters Bikini
Mar 29 - Governors Cup - Sacramento, California
Figure

***** APRIL *****

Apr 11 - Orlando Europa - Orlando, Florida
Bodybuilding, Men's Physique, Bikini, Women's Physique
Apr 12 - Grand Prix - Culver City, California
Men's Physique, Women's Physique
TBD - Mr. Europe Santa Susana, Spain
Bodybuilding

Apr 26 - Arnold Classic Brazil - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Bodybuilding, Fitness
Apr 26 - Emerald Cup Pro - Bellevue, Washington
Women's Physique

***** MAY *****

May 3 - Mozolani Pro Zilino, Slovakia
212 Pound Division, Figure
May 3 - Pittsburgh Pro Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
212 Pound Division, Figure, Bikini
May 9 - Dallas Europa Dallas, Texas
Bodybuilding, 212 Pound Division, Men's Physique, Figure, Bikini, Women's Physique
May 16 - Bodypower Birimingham, UK
212 Pound Division, Wheelchair Bodybuidlding
May 17 - NY Pro New York, NY
Bodybuilding, 212 Pound Division, Men's Physique, Figure, Bikini, Women's Physique
May 24 - Optimum Pro Shreveport, LA
Women's Physique
May 30 - Toronto SuperShow Toronto
Bodybuilding, 212 Pound Division, Men's Physique, Female Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure, Bikini, Women's Physique
May 31 - Mile High Denver, Colorado
Men's Physique, Women's Physique

***** JUNE *****

Jun 7 - Omaha Pro - Omaha, Nebraska
Men's Physique, Female Bodybuilding, Women's Physique
Jun 7 - Northern California Pro - California
Bikini
Jun 20 - Greater Gulf States Pro - New Orleans, Louisiana
Men's Physique, Masters Men's Physique, Bikini, Women's Physique

***** JULY *****

Jul 4 - Chicago Wings of Strength Chicago
Bodybuilding, 212 Pound Division, Female Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure, Women's Physique
Jul 5 - Patriots Pro - Las Vegas, Nevada
Bikini

Jul 11 - San Jose Pro - San Jose, California
Men's Physique, Women's Physique
Jul 12 Tournament of Champions (Jon L) San Diego
Figure

***** AUGUST *****

Aug 2 - Golden State Grand Prix - California
Bikini
Aug 8 -Tampa Wings of Strength - Tampa, Florida
Bodybuiding, 212 Pound Division, Men's Physique, Female Bodybuidling, Fitness, Figure, Bikini, Women's Physique
Aug 9 - Orange County Muscle Classic - Culver City, California
Bikini
Aug 16 - Dallas Pro - Dallas, Texas
Men's Physique, Bikini
Aug 23 - St. Louis Pro Bikini - St. Louis
Bikini

***** SEPTEMBER *****

Sep 19 -Mr. Olympia - Las Vegas, Nevada
Bodybuilding, 212 Pound Division, Men's Physique, Female Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure, Bikini, Women's Physique
Sep 26 - Arnold Madrid - Madrid, Spain
Bodybuilding, Fitness
Sep 27 - IFBB Kroean Pro - Korea
212 Pound Division, Bikini

***** OCTOBER *****

Oct 1 -Dubai Pro - Dubai, UAE
Bodybuilding
Oct 4 -EVLS Prague Pro - Prague, Czech Republic
Bodybuilding, 212 Pound Division, Bikini
Oct 4 -Border States - San Diego, California
Figure
Oct 11 - Nordic Pro - Lahti, Finland
Bodybuilding, Bikini
Oct 18 -Titans - Culver City, California
Men's Physique, Women's Physique
Oct 18 -Ft. Lauderdale Cup - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Men's Physique, Bikini
Oct 25 -Asian Pro - Zhengzhou, China
Bodybuilding
Oct 25 - Phoenix Europa - Phoeniz, Arizona
Bodybuilding, 212 Pound Division, Men's Physique, Fitness, Figure, Bikini, Women's Physique
Oct 30 Sacramento Pro - Sacramento, California
Men's Physique, Bikini

***** NOVEMBER *****

Nov - 8 Kentucky Muscle Pro - Louisville, Kentucky
Men's Physique, Figure
Nov - 8 Irongames Pro - Culver City, California
Bikini
Nov - 8 Iowa Pro - Davenport, Iowa
Bikini
Nov 14 - Tijuana Pro - Tijuana
Bodybuilding, Bikini
Nov 14 - Felicia Romero Classic - Mesa, Arizona
212 Pound Division, Fitness, Figure
Nov 28 - Ferrigno Legacy - Santa Barbara, California
Bodybuilding, Men's Physique, Bikini, Women's Physique
Nov 28 - Russian Pro - Russia
Bikini


#2

To be fair a lot of the comps don’t have physique either.

Koing


#3

Unless I counted wrong bodybuilding and men’s physique show up the same amount of times. That is not even including 212 in the bodybuilding category. What I find odd is that most shows have EITHER bodybuilding or physique. Only the really big shows seem to have both. I guess it comes down to who is sponsoring the show?


#4

My point being there are now Physique shows, rather than a Physique class at a bodybuilding show.


#5

[quote]Myosin wrote:
My point being there are now Physique shows, rather than a Physique class at a bodybuilding show.[/quote]

That is what I thought. Does this come down to sponsors wanting to back physique shows or are there just more physique competitors now?


#6

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:
My point being there are now Physique shows, rather than a Physique class at a bodybuilding show.[/quote]

That is what I thought. Does this come down to sponsors wanting to back physique shows or are there just more physique competitors now?[/quote]

I am not sure at the Pro level but it seems like every other young guy I talk to in the gym is “going Pro” next season. I am sure their ranks will be filled nicely.


#7

[quote]Myosin wrote:

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:
My point being there are now Physique shows, rather than a Physique class at a bodybuilding show.[/quote]

That is what I thought. Does this come down to sponsors wanting to back physique shows or are there just more physique competitors now?[/quote]

I am not sure at the Pro level but it seems like every other young guy I talk to in the gym is “going Pro” next season. I am sure their ranks will be filled nicely.[/quote]

So you feel like the “younger” generation is more interested in physique than bodybuilding? why do you think that is?


#8

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:
My point being there are now Physique shows, rather than a Physique class at a bodybuilding show.[/quote]

That is what I thought. Does this come down to sponsors wanting to back physique shows or are there just more physique competitors now?[/quote]

I am not sure at the Pro level but it seems like every other young guy I talk to in the gym is “going Pro” next season. I am sure their ranks will be filled nicely.[/quote]

So you feel like the “younger” generation is more interested in physique than bodybuilding? why do you think that is? [/quote]

Just based on personal observation of Physique competitors that I have seen at local bodybuilding shows and a “guess” that the barrier to entry is a bit lower than bodybuilding. I previously post several possible reasons (genes, drugs etc), but I would probably add lack of patience to the list as well.

Again, none of this is particularly bad, just an observation of the growth of the Physique class and the smaller numbers of bodybuilders showing up for local shows.


#9

[quote]Myosin wrote:
Just based on personal observation of Physique competitors that I have seen at local bodybuilding shows and a “guess” that the barrier to entry is a bit lower than bodybuilding. I previously post several possible reasons (genes, drugs etc), but I would probably add lack of patience to the list as well.

Again, none of this is particularly bad, just an observation of the growth of the Physique class and the smaller numbers of bodybuilders showing up for local shows.[/quote]
At the risk of opening up a can of worms… I honestly think the main reason is a lack of desire to look like pro bodybuilders look today. Modern day physique competition is basically just like old school bodybuilding. Back when a lot of people actually liked the way bodybuilders looked rather than the freakshow it is today.

Not that many people could even achieve that freakshow level if they tried, but still.


#10

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:
Just based on personal observation of Physique competitors that I have seen at local bodybuilding shows and a “guess” that the barrier to entry is a bit lower than bodybuilding. I previously post several possible reasons (genes, drugs etc), but I would probably add lack of patience to the list as well.

Again, none of this is particularly bad, just an observation of the growth of the Physique class and the smaller numbers of bodybuilders showing up for local shows.[/quote]
At the risk of opening up a can of worms… I honestly think the main reason is a lack of desire to look like pro bodybuilders look today. Modern day physique competition is basically just like old school bodybuilding. Back when a lot of people actually liked the way bodybuilders looked rather than the freakshow it is today.

Not that many people could even achieve that freakshow level if they tried, but still.[/quote]

Good point.


#11

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:
Just based on personal observation of Physique competitors that I have seen at local bodybuilding shows and a “guess” that the barrier to entry is a bit lower than bodybuilding. I previously post several possible reasons (genes, drugs etc), but I would probably add lack of patience to the list as well.

Again, none of this is particularly bad, just an observation of the growth of the Physique class and the smaller numbers of bodybuilders showing up for local shows.[/quote]
At the risk of opening up a can of worms… I honestly think the main reason is a lack of desire to look like pro bodybuilders look today. Modern day physique competition is basically just like old school bodybuilding. Back when a lot of people actually liked the way bodybuilders looked rather than the freakshow it is today.

Not that many people could even achieve that freakshow level if they tried, but still.[/quote]

Yeah I would agree that that is a major reason. I think the whole gene and drug argument ties in with this as well.


#12

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:
My point being there are now Physique shows, rather than a Physique class at a bodybuilding show.[/quote]

That is what I thought. Does this come down to sponsors wanting to back physique shows or are there just more physique competitors now?[/quote]

I am not sure at the Pro level but it seems like every other young guy I talk to in the gym is “going Pro” next season. I am sure their ranks will be filled nicely.[/quote]

So you feel like the “younger” generation is more interested in physique than bodybuilding? why do you think that is? [/quote]

Because bodybuilding takes more work and people want satisfaction NOW not later.


#13

It’s definitely a can of worms, in that you don’t want to offend people with different goals than yourself, but I think all of the possible reasons are certainly plausible. Also, realize that the NPC (and resultantly the IFBB) are businesses, and they will always try to bring in as many people to the sport as possible.

They did the same thing when Bikini became a class, quickly filling out the pro ranks, and offering opportunities to get onstage (and pay those entry fees!) as many times a year as possible.

Of course bodybuilding has a very storied and rich history, and despite the fact that a handful of top pros do well financially, I don’t think too many bodybuilding competitors went into the sport (especially in earlier days) with the goal of being wealthy, or even famous.

If you’ve ever read the actual Pumping Iron book, these guys did it out of pure enjoyment. Arnold won something like $1000 for one of his Olympia wins. Most of the Physique guys I know think that they’re gonna be famous on supplement ads, or rich from youtube monies.

S


#14

As a result of the physique class gaining popularity do you think the supplement companies will start sponsoring more of them instead of bodybuilders? Its a lot easier to say “My supplement will make you look like Jeff Seid” than saying “Take my supplement to look like Phil Heath.”


#15

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:
As a result of the physique class gaining popularity do you think the supplement companies will start sponsoring more of them instead of bodybuilders? Its a lot easier to say “My supplement will make you look like Jeff Seid” than saying “Take my supplement to look like Phil Heath.”[/quote]

With average joe getting wise to the fact they aren’t going to turn into Kai Greene by consuming carnivore (its the fucking drugs) it would be a smart choice for supplement companies to move towards competitors whose physiques are more appealing and more attainable.

The fact that many average joes believe the likes of Seid are drug free adds to the chance of them believing the products they are endorsing are the reasons they look awesome also.


#16

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

The fact that many average joes believe the likes of Seid are drug free adds to the chance of them believing the products they are endorsing are the reasons they look awesome also.[/quote]

Very good point Rattle. I have aspirations of competing for a pro card in physique (albeit in a tested federation) in the not too distant future, so I follow the physique pros pretty closely. It’s a little beside the point, but I love the look the top IFBB physique guys have, but am embarrassed to call myself a “physique guy” when I see the way guys like Seid conduct themselves. The only physique pro that I admire for reasons other than his physique is Steve Cook. It’s funny but also sad seeing beginning lifters arguing tooth and nail that their hero Jeff Seid is natural; supplement companies would definitely do well by taking advantage of naiive fans looking to achieve “aesthetics”…hate how that word is thrown around in physique by the way haha


#17

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

The fact that many average joes believe the likes of Seid are drug free adds to the chance of them believing the products they are endorsing are the reasons they look awesome also.[/quote]

Very good point Rattle. I have aspirations of competing for a pro card in physique (albeit in a tested federation) in the not too distant future, so I follow the physique pros pretty closely. It’s a little beside the point, but I love the look the top IFBB physique guys have, but am embarrassed to call myself a “physique guy” when I see the way guys like Seid conduct themselves. The only physique pro that I admire for reasons other than his physique is Steve Cook. It’s funny but also sad seeing beginning lifters arguing tooth and nail that their hero Jeff Seid is natural; supplement companies would definitely do well by taking advantage of naiive fans looking to achieve “aesthetics”…hate how that word is thrown around in physique by the way haha
[/quote]

Not sure I’d heard of Seid before this thread, so went to YouTube to see what they had. What I found is one of the biggest douchebags on the internet, and that’s no small feat.


#18

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

The fact that many average joes believe the likes of Seid are drug free adds to the chance of them believing the products they are endorsing are the reasons they look awesome also.[/quote]

Very good point Rattle. I have aspirations of competing for a pro card in physique (albeit in a tested federation) in the not too distant future, so I follow the physique pros pretty closely. It’s a little beside the point, but I love the look the top IFBB physique guys have, but am embarrassed to call myself a “physique guy” when I see the way guys like Seid conduct themselves. The only physique pro that I admire for reasons other than his physique is Steve Cook. It’s funny but also sad seeing beginning lifters arguing tooth and nail that their hero Jeff Seid is natural; supplement companies would definitely do well by taking advantage of naiive fans looking to achieve “aesthetics”…hate how that word is thrown around in physique by the way haha
[/quote]

Not sure I’d heard of Seid before this thread, so went to YouTube to see what they had. What I found is one of the biggest douchebags on the internet, and that’s no small feat.[/quote]

I think we’re talking bout the same guy :wink:


#19

Haha. Only got through about 30 seconds of the vid, but it was enough. But, in the kid’s defense, he’s apparently only 20 or so. I remember how douchey I was at that age so I’ll cut him some slack.


#20

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Haha. Only got through about 30 seconds of the vid, but it was enough. But, in the kid’s defense, he’s apparently only 20 or so. I remember how douchey I was at that age so I’ll cut him some slack. [/quote]

On top of that, he’s part of BB.com’s misc community. So he’s been basically idolized like a god online for some time now, so it’s probably gone to his head.