2012 Presidential Debates

Mitt Romney ate the Presidents lunch tonight. He had a command of the facts, an exceptional presentation looking calm cool and in command of the facts. And very strong body language. Obama on the other hand stumbled and when pushed tried to change the subject. He looked down at his notes and scowled several times.

Two of my favorite moments:

The first is when Obama tried to say that corporations get tax credits for opening up over seas and Romney looked at him and said something to the effect “I’ve been in business for over 30 years and your wrong in fact. I have no idea what your talking about.” Obam looked down and scowled with no response forthcoming.

My second favorite line in the debate was by Romney: “Mister President you get your own private home and private jet but you don’t get to make up your own private facts.”

If this were a three round UFC fight it was a three round sweep for Romney on all the judges cards. If Romney does not get at least a 3 point poll bump from his performance tonight I will be surprised.

The media could not protect their golden boy tonight. Left on his own Obama went down in flames!

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
First to Beans: http://www.ehow.com/list_6911600_tax-benefits-outsourcing.html
Also you can write off moving costs, even if it is overseas I believe.

[/quote]

Homie, I’m a CPA. Nothing on the list is a benefit given by the IRC. It is a benefit of moving to a country who doesn’t ass rape you in taxes.

Rather large difference between the bullshit Obama is trying to sell, and the truth.

Kinda like “economic patriot”…

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:Christ Matthews absolutely losing it.[/quote]I guess the thrill has left his leg now. Or maybe it’s a pain in his other one.
[/quote]

The chill that he felt up his leg has now moved to the lower center of his body and has become a pain in his ass.

(Man! This “Romney Bro-Mance” is just making feel all squishy inside!)

Romney won.

Much more polished. Much more prepared to address what he was going to be attacked on. Absolutely controlled Lehrer (not the other way around). He even “moved-the-needle” on those who felt that he was “out-of-touch”.

Mufasa

And no, foreign tax credit isn’t some super special benefit. It prevents you for paying taxes twice, it doesn’t save you shit, it stops you from having to pay twice.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Mitt Romney ate the Presidents lunch tonight. He had a command of the facts, an exceptional presentation looking calm cool and in command of the facts. And very strong body language. Obama on the other hand stumbled and when pushed tried to change the subject. He looked down at his notes and scowled several times.

The first is when Obama tried to say that corporations get tax credits for opening up over seas and Romney looked at him and said something to the effect “I’ve been in business for over 30 years and your wrong in fact. I have no idea what your talking about.” Obam looked down and scowled with no response forthcoming.

My second favorite line in the debate was by Romney: “Mister President you get your own private home and private jet but you don’t get to make up your own private facts.”

If this were a three round UFC fight it was a three round sweep for Romney on all the judges cards. If Romney does not get at least a 3 point poll bump from his performance tonight I will be surprised.

The media could not protect their golden boy tonight. Left on his own Obama went down in flames![/quote]

3 points was the first number that came into my head after the debates. It isn’t enough to win, especially in Ohio, but it puts him on his way.

[quote]ZEB wrote:<<< If Romney does not get at least a 3 point poll bump from his performance tonight I will be surprised. >>>[/quote]I won’t be surprised at all and if he does it will be temporary. Of course I’d love to be wrong. If the other two go this way it may be a different matter. We may see a much better Obama in the next one with his now having gone a round with the enemy. Maybe not. He may just be the amateur I always thought he was. The media may have played a bigger role in the 08 campaign than even I thought.

Just to add to what smh23 said:

It is doubtful (but who knows) that the President will do as poorly as he did tonight.

Will the “bump” that Romney got from this debate hold? Will “Killer Joe” end up helping or hurting the President in HIS debabte? Will the next two debates put Romney or the President “over-the-top”?

Time will tell!

Mufasa

Haha! That was awesome.

Obama defensive and irritated, Romney relaxed, confident, and far more, ahem, presidential, as the press loves to say about Democratic challengers only.

I loved when Obama suggested Jim Lehrer “might want to change the subject.”

Even my Japanese wife commented that Romney was clearly winning.

What a drubbing. Hope a whole lot of undecided Ohians were watching tonight.

I think Ryan will hammer Biden fer sher. One great thing about this debate compared to the ones with McCain is that there actually was SOME difference. Though Romney did a bit of it, ol Johnny spent most of his time trying to out spend and out government Obama.

Where can I find the full debate?? All I can find are highlights and it’s really bothering me…

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

The media could not protect their golden boy tonight. Left on his own Obama went down in flames![/quote]

3 points was the first number that came into my head after the debates. It isn’t enough to win, especially in Ohio, but it puts him on his way.[/quote]

I was speaking nationally. But the election was close in both Ohio and Florida before the debates. I have no idea what sort of bump that Romney gets (or even if he gets one) regionally. But as I’ve been saying he must win Ohio and Florida. I’ve read various reports on how he can win the election without Ohio and quite frankly none of them make sense to me.

But what this debate does is shift momentum and if you’re a sports fan you know what that means.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Where can I find the full debate?? All I can find are highlights and it’s really bothering me… [/quote]I may have it sometime tomorrow, but it will take a long time to download.

most of the Obama voters don’t watch this stuff anyway. Too much other shiny stuff to look at.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:<<< If Romney does not get at least a 3 point poll bump from his performance tonight I will be surprised. >>>[/quote]I won’t be surprised at all and if he does it will be temporary. Of course I’d love to be wrong. If the other two go this way it may be a different matter. We may see a much better Obama in the next one with his now having gone a round with the enemy. Maybe not. He may just be the amateur I always thought he was. The media may have played a bigger role in the 08 campaign than even I thought.
[/quote]

Yes, it could be temporary or it could shift the election in Romney’s favor just as the first Reagan/Carter debates did. Reagan trailed by 6-8 pts. going into the first debate according to Gallup. After the debate he took the lead and held it to election day.

Obviously, the media will jump all over Romney over the next several weeks and try to drive down his momentum (if the debate created any). That didn’t happen in 1980, while the media tipped to the left back then as well it was far less obvious.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I think Ryan will hammer Biden fer sher. One great thing about this debate compared to the ones with McCain is that there actually was SOME difference. Though Romney did a bit of it, ol Johnny spent most of his time trying to out spend and out government Obama.[/quote]

Don’t underestimate Joe Biden’s debating skills. I know he can be a loose cannon on the campaign trail but that guy is seasoned and been through this before. Paul Ryan on the other hand is young and inexperienced. And while Ryan has a good command of the facts all Biden has to do is show a little personality and deflect, deflect, deflect. Also, Biden will be ready thinking that he must bring the team back.

In short Biden is not an idiot don’t assume he’s going to lose big to Ryan.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Where can I find the full debate?? All I can find are highlights and it’s really bothering me… [/quote]

Its on youtube. I downloaded it from the itunes music store for free in the previous election

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I think Ryan will hammer Biden fer sher. One great thing about this debate compared to the ones with McCain is that there actually was SOME difference. Though Romney did a bit of it, ol Johnny spent most of his time trying to out spend and out government Obama.[/quote]

Don’t underestimate Joe Biden’s debating skills. I know he can be a loose cannon on the campaign trail but that guy is seasoned and been through this before. Paul Ryan on the other hand is young and inexperienced. And while Ryan has a good command of the facts all Biden has to do is show a little personality and deflect, deflect, deflect. Also, Biden will be ready thinking that he must bring the team back.

In short Biden is not an idiot don’t assume he’s going to lose big to Ryan.[/quote]

Agree with Zeb 100%.

Their approach to the debate will be MUCH different. “Killer Joe” ain’t gonna’ try to “out-fact” Ryan; and after this debate, Joe will be on the attack.

Biden also really DOES have an affinity for “working folk” and knows how to tap into it.

I think Ryans biggest job will not be to “knock Joe out” but simply not lose any of Romney’s momentum.

Mufasa

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
And no, foreign tax credit isn’t some super special benefit. It prevents you for paying taxes twice, it doesn’t save you shit, it stops you from having to pay twice.

[/quote]

I don’t disagree with you on this point-to me it seems pretty much equivalent to somebody working in one state and living in another that are not reciprocating. Just fill out a form and don’t get double taxed.

Technically, for a business I would argue it does save you money by allowing you to take advantage of the other savings you can incur by moving operations overseas by removing a potential penalty, at least in forms of the effective tax rate you pay as a company. It does appear that bills have been proposed and discussed in Congress that discuss the same issue Obama is now discussing.

I am not trying to open a whole new can of worms here-Romney’s response undoubtedly earned him points tonight. My only point is that there is absolutely currently a strong incentive to move operations out of the US and that there can subsequently be steps taken to reverse this trend and simultaneously raise revenue by introducing penalties or reducing breaks.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

In short Biden is not an idiot don’t assume he’s going to lose big to Ryan.[/quote]I didn’t even think Biden dominated Palin in 08 though he probably won overall. I dunno. Ryan’s a lot more focused and levelheaded.