T Nation

2012 Olympic Judo Starts Today

http://www.london2012.com/judo/

get on it bitches

Kayla Harrison…USA Gold

Don’t like the new “attempting single or double leg takedown is grounds for instant discualification” rule. I understand that the Judo rules committee wants to prioritize other throws and takedowns, but the woman from Cuba got totally screwed for just grabbing her opponent’s leg (even though she almost immediately let go).

Soto-makikom

F.T.W.

I have been pissed about the rules changes for a few years - I can understand it
but still sucks balls.

Jimmy Pedro doing a decent job with his charges.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Don’t like the new “attempting single or double leg takedown is grounds for instant discualification” rule. I understand that the Judo rules committee wants to prioritize other throws and takedowns, but the woman from Cuba got totally screwed for just grabbing her opponent’s leg (even though she almost immediately let go). [/quote]

I am pretty sure the Judo governing bodies were jealous of how badly FILA shits on wrestling and wanted to fuck up even worse.

Seriously, grappling is getting ever more popular and they elected to remove one of the most “common” and “practical” throws from competition. I am guessing they were worried judoka might do well at ADCC or in MMA and help build the sports popularity. Thank god they knocked that off.

Regards,

Robert A

EDTA: Maybe I am just pissy that the Brits are forcing lasers instead of firearms for some of the gun games?

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Don’t like the new “attempting single or double leg takedown is grounds for instant discualification” rule. I understand that the Judo rules committee wants to prioritize other throws and takedowns, but the woman from Cuba got totally screwed for just grabbing her opponent’s leg (even though she almost immediately let go). [/quote]

I am pretty sure the Judo governing bodies were jealous of how badly FILA shits on wrestling and wanted to fuck up even worse.

Seriously, grappling is getting ever more popular and they elected to remove one of the most “common” and “practical” throws from competition. I am guessing they were worried judoka might do well at ADCC or in MMA and help build the sports popularity. Thank god they knocked that off.

Regards,

Robert A

EDTA: Maybe I am just pissy that the Brits are forcing lasers instead of firearms for some of the gun games?[/quote]
Ex wrestlers were killing experienced judokas that’s why they got rid of both moves.

I haven’t competed in Judo since 2005. And even though the changes happened after that, I was still on the fence with the new rules. It’d be sweet to see the leg attacks make a comeback but I must admit, it’s actually good to see a different side of the judo. Proper Judo. With better, proper controlled throws.

It has been wonderful to see a lot of Olympic competitors trying to achieve ippon instead of, like in the past, fishing for minor points with leg grabs/throws.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Regards,

Robert A

EDTA: Maybe I am just pissy that the Brits are forcing lasers instead of firearms for some of the gun games?[/quote]
Ex wrestlers were killing experienced judokas that’s why they got rid of both moves.[/quote]
This^^^

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
I haven’t competed in Judo since 2005. And even though the changes happened after that, I was still on the fence with the new rules. It’d be sweet to see the leg attacks make a comeback but I must admit, it’s actually good to see a different side of the judo. Proper Judo. With better, proper controlled throws.

It has been wonderful to see a lot of Olympic competitors trying to achieve ippon instead of, like in the past, fishing for minor points with leg grabs/throws.
[/quote]

^ its back to kodokon- and even in kodokon the new rules eliminated a few things.
basically - the new rules go back to ‘pretty judo’ and in all honesty- its lame but does make the sport a bit more like
what it started out as

FILA shits on all grappling- it has Ruined Greco Roman.

as for ex wrestlers- killing judoka- it certainly doesnt happen at the olympics , elsewhere sure but not there.
Rhadi Ferguson might have been the closest to it- and he was never ranked highly in international

Could see this girl doing well in MMA(Gold for brazil in 48kgs)…

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Kayla Harrison…USA Gold[/quote]

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/judo/story/kayla-harrison-wins-womens-78-kilogram-gold-medal-first-for-united-states-080212

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Kayla Harrison…USA Gold[/quote]

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/judo/story/kayla-harrison-wins-womens-78-kilogram-gold-medal-first-for-united-states-080212[/quote]

She deserved it. She has been consistent from start to finish in today’s competition.

Was disappointed with the French girl though. Expected her to at least make the final.

Looking forward to seeing the 100+(mens) and 78+ (womens) tomorrow.

Kayla was on fucking fire. Nice to watch.

Good throws today in both the men’s and the women’s.

I have to admit watching the Judo matches inspired me to find a place to train. Sincere question, does a mid 20s male who’s new to the art have a chance of competing in the Olympics one day?

I’d say yes. In 5-7 years you’ll be hitting your physical stride. If you spent a substantial number of hours on the mat and turn out to be exceptional, it’s possible. I wouldn’t expect a medal, or even a win past the second round.

My impression was, that unlike BJJ, Judo is a mature sport, and the top ranks are filled with not just great technicians, but great athletes. There were no Ciao Terra’s at this Olympics. Everyone I saw was a physical beast including the women. AND they were beasts who dedicated themselves to their art. Note: this excludes the HW div, where a pretty green Teddy Riner (google him) took Bronze 4 years ago.

Competing in the Olympics is a neat goal, but be real. If you’re a decently athletic dude with a job, bills to pay etc, it’s going to be tough to reach that level. You can be a pretty damn good judoka though.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:
I have to admit watching the Judo matches inspired me to find a place to train. Sincere question, does a mid 20s male who’s new to the art have a chance of competing in the Olympics one day? [/quote]

great to get inspired Judo is awesome

as far as making an olympic trials no so much
unless you want to move to a much smaller country
the realistic chances are pretty small

you can be very competitive- and could excel -
allot of it depends on you’re athletic background

on a serious note- on the physical side
( discounting logistics and mental shit)
if someone who is already a great athlete
ok an amazing athlete
shit a truly amazing athlete
like a winning DI athlete in their sport- who already is an advanced competitor
with great motor skills no serious structural malady’s or injuries with incredible balance
and an a vast aptitude for picking up new motor skills

the potential is there.

people have asked - I wrestled in HS can I wrestle DI as a walk on-
and those expectations have been discetedhere too
or Im a HUGE big dude who lifts this, and I excel at my strength sport
can I be a Truly competitve UFC fighter

not to be a jerk but Id say your question is in a similar category

that being said - good luck - tear it up find a good gym and enjoy some Judo.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
I’d say yes. In 5-7 years you’ll be hitting your physical stride. If you spent a substantial number of hours on the mat and turn out to be exceptional, it’s possible. I wouldn’t expect a medal, or even a win past the second round.

My impression was, that unlike BJJ, Judo is a mature sport, and the top ranks are filled with not just great technicians, but great athletes. There were no Ciao Terra’s at this Olympics. Everyone I saw was a physical beast including the women. AND they were beasts who dedicated themselves to their art. Note: this excludes the HW div, where a pretty green Teddy Riner (google him) took Bronze 4 years ago.

Competing in the Olympics is a neat goal, but be real. If you’re a decently athletic dude with a job, bills to pay etc, it’s going to be tough to reach that level. You can be a pretty damn good judoka though.[/quote]

I think you have to get a c’mon son

unless your BJ penn.

Maybe if you repatriate to like haiti or somewhere similar in size where you can qualify.
its not BJJJ where you can be a shitty athlete or do it a few days a week
and rock out a local tournament.

It not like being a US college wrestler and jumping into BJJ and tearing shit up.

Its not archery- a sport if you call it that you can pick up in a year or so

Rhadi Ferguson had some great detailed shit up on one of his sites about how much money
he spent on training and traveling to qualify for his olympics
It was something like 100 grand in one year - on housing - food - mostly on travel
to get to the big gigs.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:
I have to admit watching the Judo matches inspired me to find a place to train. Sincere question, does a mid 20s male who’s new to the art have a chance of competing in the Olympics one day? [/quote]

Anything is possible, but you’ll be competing against people that have been doing this shit since grade school.

[quote]zerocharisma wrote:

[quote]rundymc wrote:

Competing in the Olympics is a neat goal, but be real. If you’re a decently athletic dude with a job, bills to pay etc, it’s going to be tough to reach that level. You can be a pretty damn good judoka though.[/quote]

I think you have to get a c’mon son

unless your BJ penn.

Maybe if you repatriate to like haiti or somewhere similar in size where you can qualify.
its not BJJJ where you can be a shitty athlete or do it a few days a week
and rock out a local tournament.

It not like being a US college wrestler and jumping into BJJ and tearing shit up.

Its not archery- a sport if you call it that you can pick up in a year or so

Rhadi Ferguson had some great detailed shit up on one of his sites about how much money
he spent on training and traveling to qualify for his olympics
It was something like 100 grand in one year - on housing - food - mostly on travel
to get to the big gigs.
[/quote]

That’s what I was getting at dude. You’d have to be exceptional. Even then, starting this late and this close to your prime… Guess it didn’t come through enough in the post. It’s “possible” but in no way or form “likely”. Talent pool, even in the States, is too deep.