2012: End Times or The Next Y2K?

The Maya calender does not end in 2012. More importantly is the concept of time in Maya society. They did not think of time s we do in the west as a past,present, and future , instead they regarded time in a cyclical manner . This means that in 2013 the Maya calender does not end , instead it restarts a new cycle in measured time. So if you are worried don’t be it is all a sham .

[quote]admbaum wrote:
[/quote]

Aye mr adambaum, but they did. See story i have quoted. I don’t believe it will happen, but there is unfortunately that minute possibility however small it may be. I don’t personally worry about it, because it would do me no good. Story is from cnn.com and was dated 09/02/2003.

[quote] LONDON, England (Reuters) – A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors.

But for those fearing Armageddon, don’t be alarmed – the chances of a catastrophic collision are just one in 909,000.

Asteroid “2003 QQ47” will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government’s Near Earth Object Information Centre told BBC radio.

The Centre issued the warning about the asteroid after the giant rock was first observed in New Mexico by the Lincoln Near Earth Asteroid Research Program.

“The Near Earth Object will be observable from Earth for the next two months and astronomers will continue to track it over this period,” said Dr Alan Fitzsimmons, one of the expert team advising the Centre.

Asteroids such as 2003 QQ47 are chunks of rock left over from the formation of the solar system 4.5 billion years ago. Most are kept at a safe distance from the Earth in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

But the gravitational influence of giant planets such as Jupiter can nudge asteroids out of these safe orbits and send them plunging towards Earth. [/quote]

I dont believe it in, I believe in God, So I do believe in “The end of days” but I wont be here ya sinful bastards! lol

^ YUP there I said it!!

[quote]MangoMan305 wrote:
I mean if people believe in an imaginary God who could blame them for believing in 2012

AMIRIGHT OR AMIRIGHT?[/quote]

Except that the elders have no clue what these people are talking about. They took knowledge that was supposed to be secret and exploited it with misuse. If someone thinks the world is going to end 2012 they should actually study it then just take someone’s word off the internet.

honestly, seeing the way people treat one another nowadays, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone felt the need to wipe the slate clean so to speak.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
honestly, seeing the way people treat one another nowadays, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone felt the need to wipe the slate clean so to speak. [/quote]

x2 The world is turning pretty damn sick, even more so than it has been.

[quote]Nate112 wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
honestly, seeing the way people treat one another nowadays, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone felt the need to wipe the slate clean so to speak. [/quote]

x2 The world is turning pretty damn sick, even more so than it has been.[/quote]

I think the problem is that there are so many people now that the interactions between people that become fucked up are just much, much higher as people interact a lot more. Also, there is the internet.

^ I agree with that

Internet is changing deeply the society and there is no turning back. Maybe there will be less ‘‘them and us’’ feelings and hate war, but we are getting more and more cynic

but what do I know

[quote]ukrainian wrote:

[quote]Nate112 wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:

x2 The world is turning pretty damn sick, even more so than it has been.[/quote]

I think the problem is that there are so many people now that the interactions between people that become fucked up are just much, much higher as people interact a lot more. Also, there is the internet.[/quote]

Exactly this, we just know whats going on everywhere in the world and are given instant access to news all over the world.

The internet screws my head and depresses me.

2012 is by no means gonna be the end of times but the maya should be taken seriously, I would like to see any of you go under ground in complete darkness for a week then after you have lost all recolection of time come out at night look up at the stars and know what day is was.

First of all, the only asteroids which are accounted for are ones which have already established orbits. However, at any time, collisions in the asteroid belt could casscade and send another asteroid out of the belt into the inner solar system, it actually happens pretty regularly. If this were to occur, there would be very little time to react to such an event and we may only realize something is coming when it is within a few days or hours to impact. It is unlikley we will have something pick it up with much warning if it’s first foray into the inner solar system puts it on a collision course with earth.

V

On May 19, 1996 a 300â??500 m asteroid, 1996 JA1, passed within 450,000 km of Earth; it had been detected a few days before.

On March 18, 2004 a 30 m asteroid, 2004 FH, passed within 40,000 km of Earth only a few days after it had been detected. This asteroid probably would have detonated in the atmosphere and posed negligible hazard to the surface, had it been on impact course.

On March 31, 2004, a 6 m meteoroid, 2004 FU162 made the second closest approach on record (closest so far was The Great Daylight 1972 Fireball) with a separation of only 1.02 Earth radii from the surface (6,500 km). Because this object is certainly too small to pass through the atmosphere, it is classed as a meteoroid rather than an asteroid.

Path of risk where 99942 Apophis may impact Earth in 2036.In 2004, a newly discovered 320 m asteroid, 99942 Apophis (previously called 2004 MN4), achieved the highest impact probability of any potentially dangerous object. The probability of collision on April 13, 2029 is estimated to be as high as 1 in 17 by Steve Chesley of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, though the previously published figure was the slightly lower odds of 1 in 37, calculated in December 2004. Later observations showed that the asteroid will miss the earth by 25,600 km (within the orbits of communications satellites) in 2029, but its orbit will be altered unpredictably in a way which does not rule out a collision on April 13 or 14, 2036 or later in the century. These possible future dates have a cumulative probability of 1 in 45,000 for an impact in the 21st century.

Asteroid 2004 VD17, of 580 m, previously was estimated to have a probability of 1 in 63,000 of striking earth on May 4, 2102 (as of July 2006), with risk 1 on the Torino scale, but further observations lowered the estimate. As of the observation on December 17, 2006, JPL assigns 2004 VD17 a Torino value of 0 and an impact probability of 1 in 41.667 million in the next 100 years.

Asteroid (29075) 1950 DA has a potential to collide with Earth on March 16, 2880. The probability of impact is either 1 in 300 or zero, depending on which one of the two possible directions for the asteroid’s spin pole is correct. This asteroid has a mean diameter of about 1.1 km. The energy released by the collision would cause major effects on the climate and biosphere and may be devastating to human civilization.

Asteroid 2007 TU24, with an estimated diameter between 300â??500 meters, came very close to earth orbit by 1.4 ld (lunar distance) on January 29, 2008. The orbit of the asteroid is shown on NASA’s website.[25]

Relatively small objects that burn up in the atmosphere can be dangerous beyond their own capabilities. In 2002, U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. Simon P. Worden told members of a U.S. House of Representatives Science subcommittee that the U.S. has instruments that determine if an atmospheric explosion is natural or man-made, but no other nation with nuclear weapons has that detection technology. He said there is concern that some of those countries could mistake a natural explosion for an attack, and launch nuclear retaliation. In the summer of 2001 U.S. satellites had detected over the Mediterranean an atmospheric flash of energy similar to a nuclear weapon, but determined that it was caused by an asteroid.

As of March 2008, the Near-Earth Asteroid with the highest probability of impact within the next 100 years is 2007 VK184, with a Torino scale of 1.[26][27][28]

[quote]NATOR wrote:
The Maya calender does not end in 2012. More importantly is the concept of time in Maya society. They did not think of time s we do in the west as a past,present, and future , instead they regarded time in a cyclical manner . This means that in 2013 the Maya calender does not end , instead it restarts a new cycle in measured time. So if you are worried don’t be it is all a sham .[/quote]

This. The Mayans didn’t predict the end to be 2012. It is only the end of a cycle. They actually have Mayan predictions that occur post 2012.

The historians have it wrong. The Mayans didn’t predict 2012, they predicted 2112– and they were right. 2112 fucking ROCKED.

God, did it ever!! To hell with the Mayans, they can’t hold a candle to the priests…of the temples…of Syrinx!!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
The historians have it wrong. The Mayans didn’t predict 2012, they predicted 2112– and they were right. 2112 fucking ROCKED.[/quote]