2012 Comp Season

Very sorry, haven’t been keeping up with yawl.
Average temp last week, Mon-Sat, 99-100. Average no. hours at work, 11.
Still hit the gym, swam 2 nights, threw (HG) 1
Thurs night, woke up starving. Realized all I’d ate for 2 days was some canned fruit. Got home from gym so late just showered and hit the bed. Dagwood type attack on refer ensued. Midnight gorge. No purge.
Funny thing is been having some really great work outs.
School starts here tomorrow so people will be back from vacation. Hours should go down. Try to catch up with all.
Projected temp tomorrow: 99. Maybe Al Gore knew a little something sides how to get the happy ending from the masseuse.

Hey, glad to see you made it back from the general forums unharmed! That was mighty brave venturing out like that! It’s a real shitstorm out there! :wink:

Happy to see you back.

Steely, been a long time since I’ve even read anything out there. Really gotta wade thru a ton of shit to find the good stuff. Thanks bdog, get to missingthis place.

After work

Bench
135,225wu
275x8
315x5x5

Incline (smith)
225x8
275x6
315x3,3,3,2,2

cable xover
60x12x4

standing flyes
50x10x3

sldl
225x8
315x8x4

hypers w/35 plate
3x max

Harry, as always, weights I would be very happy to come within 75% of. Do you ever do the squat versions of those twists? As far as I understand it, you hit the bottom of the squat straight forward, but twist as you come up. I saw those mentioned in the HG forums. Next squat day I’m going to try some.

Also, some questions about your HG technique. What versions do you do? Feel free to answer or ignore as time and interest allows you.

Two turns with the weights? If I go slow at the beginning and keep low this seems to be pretty easy.

How many winds on the hammer? I’m finding track and field hammer gives me some motor patterns to unlearn, but to get any effect from even 3 winds, I have to keep the first two pretty slow and controlled.

Open stone: spin, glide, shuffle, depends on the field conditions? I figure if the field is too slippery, my half spin should do pretty good.

WOB, spin or the standard over the head technique? This might be my weakest event. I can’t even clear 10’ with the over the head technique, sometimes get about 12’ with a spin.

Sheaf: I’ve tried the spin, but haven’t been able to get the timing down yet. Also, the damn sheaf has a tendency to slip off the fork when I spin.

Caber: I’ve noticed some of the guys carry it pretty high. arms straight seems more natural and to give better balance, but carrying it higher gives it more height to begin with. How do you carry it?

1. 2 turns on the weights. First turn is just getting the weight moving and doesn’t advance you toward the front. Low and slow at first works best for me and setting up an high to low pattern on the weight.

2. I’m only using 2 winds. Find that any more isn’t adding anything. Don’t use spikes and tent to throw “baseball bat” release style.

3. Open stone depends on the shape of the stone. I’ve used a spin but it’s more of a South African starting sideways to the front. If i can’t get a good feel of the stone pressed into the side of my face/neck: shuffle.

4. WOB, 56# definitely standard. Haven’t used the spin in a meet with the 44# but been trying it in practice and may use it soon.

5. Sheaf. No spin. Of everything I do this event seems to be affected the most by my past injuries. Not getting it high enough at release or getting the right jerk. Best I’ve managed is a 18’ and that sucks.

6. Caber. Long straight arms. I don’t think the foot or so higher you can carry it gives that much of an advantage. Plus the balance thing comes into play. Higher you hold it more caber above you shoulder. Most guys who carry it high I know have been at it a while.

Hope these answers help.
Oh yeah, I’ve never tried the squat twist. I’ll give it a try. Sounds like some balance may be involved.

Thats some fine incline presses Harry.

Nice benching. Your flat & incline are impressive.

Thanks Joe and Scott. The inclines on the smith really hit the upper pecs. Thinking of giving up flat benching for a while and just concentrating on the incline.
Fell in with a young friend of mine last night. Super “kid” who’s a Class A in the highland games and would have a shot at pros except for his day job as some kinda electrical engineer. We’re doing the upcoming Ringold meet together. Different work out as I was following him and everything was sets of 5. As he’s still a youngun, 32, I took it easy on him. Oh yeah, his nickname’s “Tree”.

All lifts time 5, (xx) = what “Tree” kept going to.

We’ve got a machine you can use for press, squats, calve raise,etc. Has 3 bars you slide in or out to adjust the starting heigth and you add free weights on a back tbar. Think it’s an older hammer machine.

Unnamed machine
kinda Hack squats with more leverage: 90,180,270,360,(540)
Mil Press (you can leaned into the machine so you get some leverage): 90,180,270,290,310,320 (410)

hang cleans
135,185,225x2 sets (325)

sng arm db snatch
Right: 40,50,60,70 (130)
Left: 40,50,60,70 (120)

sng arm deadlift in the smith machine
Right: 90,180,270 (380)
left: 90,180, 270 (380)

That was it. Not my kinda workout but I thought I’d give it a try.

Got off work with no over time today. Hit the river and did a good paced 1500m. Waters low and warm. Need some rain bad.

Rain has been scarce around here as well. Your friend sounds more like a sequoia then a regular tree. Great workouts as always.

Thats an interesting lifting day harry. Its also been hotter than the hinges of hell down here south of the Ham. We’ve had some of those short and hard summer rains but not too many.

Good lifting, and swimming… maybe I should get back in the pool.

Glad to see your keeping on…

S’pose to cool off next week, Joe. Only gonna be in the low/mid 90’s. Swimming doesn’t even count as working out for me Schmidt. It’s more of a relaxer than anything. Tryin Null.
Thurs night

Front squat
135,155,175x8
205x6

Back squat
315x5x5

one leg (rear elevated) squat
135x8x4

Twists w/135

Friday
Throws
28,56# WFD
56# WOB
16# hammer
20 something stone

swim

This mornin

skullcrushers
60,70,80x12
90x10

straight bar curls (In the squat rack and didn’t no one dare say nuttin. Oh wait, I was the only one in the gym.)
45,55,65,75x10

CGB
135wu,225x10x3

ez curl bar
bar+50,60,70x10

two handed over head tri extension, sng db
60,70,80x10

hammer curls
45x10x3

I’m gonna get me some pretty gunz.

3 day weekend, gonna do 3 days in gym.

Great squatting Harry, it looks like were trying to catch up with the missing rain today in one storm.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
I’m gonna get me some pretty gunz.
[/quote]

Next thing you know, you’ll be posting in “teh bodeebildin’ forim”

Noce work in here, Harry. How are the front squats treating you? Do you think they are helping you throw stuff farther?

How do you do a one legged (rear elevated) squat? Sounds complicated

^^^ I would call that a static lunge.

Jack, too soon to tell on the throwing but I’m definitely feeling them in the quads.
US42, Here’s a clip of the great shot putter Wurner Gunthor doing them. It’s where I got them from.
I like that name for them, kpsnap. Sounds better than what I call them.

This morning,
Bench
135,225wu
315x6
335x5
355x3
365x2 (w/pause)
375x1 (w/pause)

Incline (smith)
225x8
275x6
295x4
305x2
315x2,2,2

cable xovers
55x10x3

standing flyes
50x12x3

dl
135,225,315wu
365,385x5
405,425x4

hypers

3x max w/35

Cooked my world famous pancakes at the vets home for breakfast. One of my brothers called to invited me to lunch at his place. “On yeah, and bring your chainsaw”. Think he may have an ulterior motive. Off again tomorrow so hitting the gym early again.