2011 NFL Draft

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
^ Nice thought but JJ has invested heavly in Romo and he is a Arkansas grad so if he really wanted a QB in the Draft he would stay where he is and take Mallet. So I take it you are a Cards fan? You do not think they will invest in Skelton? Kid is huge and with a full off season may be servicable for the next few years. [/quote]
I’m the only Card fan I know around here!
I know they will work hard with Skelton. the coaching staff says he’s having some difficulty learning the playbook but now he will be working with the starters in camp instead of the backups and practice squad. Having a decent backup instead of Anderson will help the team and Skelton.
Hightower is a free agent so I hope we can keep him. Wells still has not impressed me. if we don’t draft another rb McClain of Baltimore, Bush of Oak, Smith of Det, or Norwood of Atl would be an interesting addition. if we do draft a rb I like Locke of Ken, Hunter of Ok St, Murry of Ok, and fb/lb Marecic of Stanford because he will bring attitude.
of course te Williams of Ark would be a nice pickup in the 2nd rd and te Saunders of SC will be a steal in the late rds or as a fa. they might even reunite brothers and pick up te Stephen Skelton.
ilb Matthews of Org has the genes and would be a good mid/late rd pickup as would Bird of TT, and Jacobs of Fres St and olb’s Reed of Ari, Daniels of TCU, and Davie of Nrthwstn.[/quote]

Wow how many picks do the Cards have? :slight_smile: Ive only watched a few games of the Cards, of course this last one against my boys. I have not been impressed with their running game, I had Hightower as my FF RB for awhile. [/quote]
when the passing game sucks just load up the box and shut down the run.
I’m figuring that they can trade down and pick up an extra couple of picks. 2 in the 2nd rd and 2 in the 3rd or 4th could really help. I’m just listing players that I think could help and that might still be available in the mid to late rds. [/quote]

To be honest I think the Cards are in worse shape than the 49ers, although I guess this weekend will decide that (and I’m a 49ers fan).

Both teams 100% have to find a franchise QB. Personnel-wise they shouldn’t even think about anything else until they think they’ve taken care of that.

Don’t expect any of those Ohio state players who have been suspended to come for the draft who are eligible. They made a pledge to return next year or they wouldn’t get to play in the Sugar Bowl.

^ And Why cant they change there minds after the bowl game? The BCS going to suspend them in the Pros?

They could lie about it, but for some reason I think they will hold to their pledge.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
[/quote]silverblood wrote:
[/quote]DJHT wrote:
[/quote]silverblood wrote
when the passing game sucks just load up the box and shut down the run.
I’m figuring that they can trade down and pick up an extra couple of picks. 2 in the 2nd rd and 2 in the 3rd or 4th could really help. I’m just listing players that I think could help and that might still be available in the mid to late rds. [/quote]

To be honest I think the Cards are in worse shape than the 49ers, although I guess this weekend will decide that (and I’m a 49ers fan).

Both teams 100% have to find a franchise QB. Personnel-wise they shouldn’t even think about anything else until they think they’ve taken care of that.
[/quote]
I think qbs Dalton of TCU, Locker of Washington, Taylor of Vir Tech and hopefully Foles of Arizona and Weeden of Ok St(if they declare for the draft) will be there in the late 1st or 2nd and 3rd rds. Skelton looks good and will improve. 1st rd picks don’t mean 1st class talent. you draft what will help you. look at Oakland’s draft record. Al Davis drafts who he likes, not who fits his system and needs. if we trade down in the 1st rd we will still have a 2-4 pick in the 2nd and a mid to late in the same rd.
say that Dal, Hou, or Cle wants to trade up for Newton. we would have 2 top 10 picks in the 2nd rd and would probably still be able to get someone like dt Darius, de Bowers, qb Mallet, or cb Amukamara in the 1st.

if someone in the 20-32 slots wants to move up we could get a 2nd and 3rd(and maybe a veteran) or a 2nd, 4th, and 5th to 6th and still pick up someone like de Watt, de Clayborn, or even rb Ingram in the 1st if they don’t fit the needs of other teams or have a bad bowl game or combine. it’s all a crap shoot but you try to fill the needs.

All I know about the draft, is that the Lions aren’t getting the first pick. Finally.

First 20 picks for the 2011 Draft.

1. Panthers – 2-14
  2. Broncos – 4-12
  3. Bills – 4-12
  4. Bengals – 4-12
  5. Cardinals – 5-11
  6. Browns – 5-11
  7. 49ers – 6-10
  8. Titans – 6-10
  9. Cowboys – 6-10
  10. Redskins – 6-10
  11. Texans – 6-10
  12. Vikings – 6-10
  13. Lions – 6-10
  14. Dolphins – 7-9
  15. Rams – 8-8
  16. Jaguars – 8-8
  17. Patriots (from Raiders) – 8-8
  18. Chargers – 9-7
  19. Giants – 10-6
  20. Buccaneers – 10-6

[quote]DJHT wrote:
First 20 picks for the 2011 Draft.

1. Panthers – 2-14
  2. Broncos – 4-12
  3. Bills – 4-12
  4. Bengals – 4-12
  5. Cardinals – 5-11
  6. Browns – 5-11
  7. 49ers – 6-10
  8. Titans – 6-10
  9. Cowboys – 6-10
  10. Redskins – 6-10
  11. Texans – 6-10
  12. Vikings – 6-10
  13. Lions – 6-10
  14. Dolphins – 7-9
  15. Rams – 8-8
  16. Jaguars – 8-8
  17. Patriots (from Raiders) – 8-8
  18. Chargers – 9-7
  19. Giants – 10-6
  20. Buccaneers – 10-6

[/quote]

Are picks 7 to 13 already decided or do they have to do a coin flip(s)?

Those are the real spots as determined by opp reocrds/division I always forget which they go to first for the draft.

As to Locker, who has failed to look like he can throw through an open barn door consistently, I see hi, going the way of Jimmy Clausen and Colt Mccoy last year. I dont know if he will get better in the league or not, but I think he will be sitting there waiting to be called for a while.

WC just copied off NFL.com. I think this is the determined by record and strength of opponent etc.

Ayers just declared for the draft. He’s a dominant LB prospect that should be a great addition to any team picking in the first round.

Locker will be the biggest bust of all the Qb’s in this draft. He’s not accurate with the ball, and accuracy is THE most important attribute for QB’s nowadays. They have to throw into tight windows, ON TIME, and Locker hasn’t shown the ability to do so. I’m talking about dropping it over the LB’s where DB’s can’t get to the ball and throwing into small spots with velocity, but more importantly, on time where the DB can’t make a play on it and before a safety can come across the field to make a play.

Luck is the clearly the best prospect in the draft. We’ll see how Mallett does tonight. I think how well he throws the ball with accuracy tonight will be a very good indicator of how he’ll fare in the NFL. Ohio State has some very good, fast and athletic corners and safeties. To succeed tonight, he’ll have to throw with good timing and good accuracy, and if he can’t do it against Ohio State, then I don’t think he’ll be able to do it against NFL db’s either.

After last night, I’m pretty much sold on Luck. Unless you’re the Colts, Pats, Jets, Rams, Steelers, or a couple other teams that are SET at Qb, I’d investigate the possibility of trading everything to move up to #1 if Luck declares. I think he’ll be that good.

^ Agreed on all counts, however I will say that Locker MAY that is MAY have potential with the right coaching and situation. Do I think it will happen NO, but you never know.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
^ Agreed on all counts, however I will say that Locker MAY that is MAY have potential with the right coaching and situation. Do I think it will happen NO, but you never know. [/quote]

I don’t think it will happen either. I mean, Steve Sarkisian has a pretty good reputation as a developer of QB’s and accuracy is definitely a coachable talent. Some have it naturally, but good mechanics and good footwork can really improve accuracy in a QB who otherwise doesn’t have it. But Locker seems to have regressed a bit in this respect.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Luck is the clearly the best prospect in the draft.

After last night, I’m pretty much sold on Luck. Unless you’re the Colts, Pats, Jets, Rams, Steelers, or a couple other teams that are SET at Qb, I’d investigate the possibility of trading everything to move up to #1 if Luck declares. I think he’ll be that good.[/quote]

Wrong. Only the 49ers should investigate the possibility of trading up for Luck. Other than that, I completely agree with you, and have long had a man crush on Andrew Luck, which is quite easy to do as both a Stanford and 49er fan.

Mallet’s receivers are dropping way to many balls. Either way, his accuracy looks pretty poor as does his overall performance against a solid college defense.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Luck is the clearly the best prospect in the draft.

After last night, I’m pretty much sold on Luck. Unless you’re the Colts, Pats, Jets, Rams, Steelers, or a couple other teams that are SET at Qb, I’d investigate the possibility of trading everything to move up to #1 if Luck declares. I think he’ll be that good.[/quote]

Wrong. Only the 49ers should investigate the possibility of trading up for Luck. Other than that, I completely agree with you, and have long had a man crush on Andrew Luck, which is quite easy to do as both a Stanford and 49er fan.[/quote]

I apologize. I, too am a Stanford and Niners fan. Carolina says they’ll take him if he declares so hopefully he says fuck Carolina and doesn’t come out. I don’t think there’s any way the Niners have the bottle to do what it takes to land the #1 pick. If I were Jed York, I’d call Carolina the second that Luck declares and offer them my first three picks plus Frank Gore for the chance to take Luck. As much of a fan of him that I am, even being totally objective I think Luck could be one of the all-time greats.

The guy’s as athletic in the pocket as Brett Favre or Brady, he runs well outside of the pocket, he looks almost as tough to bring down as Roethlisberger, he’s accurate in the pocket and on the move, he has SOLID fundamentals that have his feet in proper position to throw no matter where he’s moving and he clearly has a firm grasp of not only a pro-style offense but also how to check down through receivers very quickly out of the play-action fake. I think the only knock on him is that his arm isn’t huge (it’s above average though) and we don’t really know how well he handles adversity.

His arm strength isn’t really an issue though. He has excellent touch (how many times have we seen Alex Smith drill the fucking ball from 5 yards out?) and arm strength is overrated in the NFL. He has a strong enough arm to throw the deep out and that’s really the only throw that requires a strong arm that an NFL QB HAS to be able to make. There’s some other throws that require a lot of velocity, but his release is quick enough and his timing is impeccable, so that can make up for an inability to really smoke the ball in there. And it isn’t like he’s Chad fucking Pennington out there; he just doesn’t have elite status arm strength, which isn’t important in the NFL. Matt Ryan, Brady, Manning, Brees, they don’t have Favre or Elway-type arm strength and it hasn’t hindered them. Look at Joe Montana: average arm strength, didn’t really hold the ball high, had kind of a long release. But he was extremely accurate with quick decision-making abilities that got the ball out with impeccable timing. Luck has all that plus the physical tools that Montana didn’t have.

But the adversity thing worries me just a tad. When the shit started to hit the fan against Oregon, he wasn’t able to right the ship, and Oregon isn’t exactly a powerhouse on defense. He hasn’t faced a whole lot of adversity other than that this year. But I’m nitpicking a little bit now.

Carolina doesnt need another RB so Gore is not an option. What about Vernon Davis? Patrick Willis? They might take that with this years 1st next, years 1st, and a 2 and 3.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Carolina doesnt need another RB so Gore is not an option. What about Vernon Davis? Patrick Willis? They might take that with this years 1st next, years 1st, and a 2 and 3. [/quote]

I don’t know about that. What about Delanie Walker? The best tight end you’ve never heard of. I mean, the guy’s a TE who runs fucking kickoffs back! Plus, I think Gore’s done. I think he’ll be 28 next year, coming off a broken hip, and he hasn’t played a full season since I believe his second season. On top of that, when he is healthy he gets pretty much all the carries, except for some bullshit 3rd and long draw play, so he’s had a big workload already. Trading Gore and some picks for the #1 might be a good way to get rid of a player who I think is done a year early rather than a year late.

How about this year’s 1st and 3rd, next year’s 4th and 5th plus Delanie Walker and a cool 1 million in cash for the #1 overall pick?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Carolina doesnt need another RB so Gore is not an option. What about Vernon Davis? Patrick Willis? They might take that with this years 1st next, years 1st, and a 2 and 3. [/quote]

I don’t know about that. What about Delanie Walker? The best tight end you’ve never heard of. I mean, the guy’s a TE who runs fucking kickoffs back! Plus, I think Gore’s done. I think he’ll be 28 next year, coming off a broken hip, and he hasn’t played a full season since I believe his second season. On top of that, when he is healthy he gets pretty much all the carries, except for some bullshit 3rd and long draw play, so he’s had a big workload already. Trading Gore and some picks for the #1 might be a good way to get rid of a player who I think is done a year early rather than a year late.

How about this year’s 1st and 3rd, next year’s 4th and 5th plus Delanie Walker and a cool 1 million in cash for the #1 overall pick?[/quote]

Well if you and I know Gore’s medical history what do you think Carolina is going to know? Picks are what counts not $. Carolina needs WR more than anything besides QB. How about Crabtree and Davis and next years #1?