T Nation

2010 Tour De France Champion Tests Positive for Clenbuterol

Rider suspended over minute traces of clenbuterol

The International Cycling Union (UCI) has confirmed the suspension of Tour de France champion Alberto Contador after traces of clenbuterol were found in a sample from July 21. The governing body highlighted that the amount of clenbuterol was 400 times less than the amount World Anti-Doping Agency accredited labs must be able to detect.

The following is the UCI's release in full addressing the matter:

â??The UCI confirmed today that Spanish rider Alberto Contador returned an adverse analytical finding for clenbuterol following the analysis of urine sample taken during an in competition test on 21st July 2010 on the second rest day of the Tour de France. This result was reported by the WADA accredited laboratory in Cologne to UCI and WADA simultaneously.

â??The concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms (or 0,000 000 000 05 grams per ml) which is 400 time less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect.â??

â??In view of this very small concentration and in consultation with WADA, the UCI immediately had the proper results management proceedings conducted including the analysis of B sample that confirmed the first result. The rider, who had already put an end to his cycling season before the result was known, was nevertheless formally and provisionally suspended as is prescribed by the World Anti-Doping Code.

â??This case required further scientific investigation before any conclusion could be drawn. The UCI continues working with the scientific support of WADA to analyse all the elements that are relevant to the case. This further investigation may take some more time.

â??In order to protect the integrity of the proceedings and in accordance with the World Anti-Doping Code, the UCI will refrain from making any further comments until the management of this adverse analytical finding has been completed."

Contador's press officer announced earlier today the Spaniard would hold a press conference in Spain later today to detail his version of events, which was when news of the adverse finding first surfaced. That release pointed the finger at food contamination as the cause behind the issue.

,,,,some interesting facts.

Anti-doping expert: Clenbuterol contamination plausible

News that Tour de France winner Alberto Contador has tested positive for the banned stimulant clenbuterol has raised the question: is his assertion that food or supplement contamination is responsible for the result plausible? Cyclingnews spoke with expert Dr. Don Catlin of Anti-Doping Research, Inc. to find out.

"Without knowing what the level [of clenbuterol] in his sample is, it's impossible to say," Catlin said. His laboratory works with supplement makers to detect drug contaminants, and Catlin said that clenbuterol is one of the more common contaminats found in supplements.

In 2008, Catlin's lab worked on the case of swimmer Jessica Hardy, who sat out of competition for two years after testing positive for clenbuterol, and found the drug in supplements that she was taking. Hardy used the information to sue the manufacturer.

The drug is a stimulant as well as an anabolic agent, and because of these properties it is not prescribed in its primary use an anti-asthma medication in the US.

I was just reading about this on ESPN.

Of course he tested positive. Dont all cyclists these days? (except lance)

I hope they strip Contador of the Tour Win just like they did with Landis.

Was just going to post this. I don't know, food contamination seems off...

Word. First, I'm surprised at the notion of treating cattle bred to be eaten with Clen, that would seem kind of counterproductive. Yes I suppose it would help build more lean tissue, but wouldn't it also burn through much of that precious marbling that makes beef taste so good?

And I would think it would decrease body weight overall, and isn't that how beef is sold? Thereby decreasing profits for the farmer...so that part sounds shady to me to begin with.

Secondly, I assume you'd have to eat a metric fuckton of the mysteriously contaminated beef for it to show up in your blood, even at 50 picograms, but I'm no chemist.

Nevertheless, if anything is to be learned from the trainwreck that is Floyd Landis, Contador needs to be up front about it now and not blame it on the beef, write a book about it, and then have it blow up in his face 3-5 years later.

I for one would be happy to see him taken down a peg if in fact he is/was cheating.