2010 Mr. Olympia World's Strongest Bodybuilder

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
I usually put my blinders on hoping to not see a seam burst and all that weight come tumbling down.
[/quote]

Does that happen a lot?

And DD, what do you mean by “dumping the weight”. I can assume I know what you are talking about, but I hate assuming.[/quote]

i’m definitely not going to get into some gear vs. raw debate but yes i’ve seen some really nasty gear injuries. i’ve seen seams go and it’s like a deck of cards tumbling down.

dumping the weight usually happens when shirt lifters are lowering the weight and because of the restricted movement of the shirt, they drop the bar on themselves.

I mean rolling the bar either towards their head or their feet to the point they essentially drop the weight.

When guy can’t correctly touch in a shirt, it seems like they many times will naturally roll the weight toward their feet (to the point their forearms can’t stay vertical and once they are titled, they lose the ability to exert force on the bar and hence dump it.

I may be wrong, but I just can’t remember seeing many, if any, raw lifters do that. If they fail, the are still exerting force on the bar and they don’t dump the weight on themselves.

And, yes, for the record, I’ve never worn any gear myself, this is just my observation.

I usually put my blinders on hoping to not see a seam burst and all that weight come tumbling down.
[/quote]

Does that happen a lot?

And DD, what do you mean by “dumping the weight”. I can assume I know what you are talking about, but I hate assuming.[/quote]

i’m definitely not going to get into some gear vs. raw debate but yes i’ve seen some really nasty gear injuries. i’ve seen seams go and it’s like a deck of cards tumbling down.

dumping the weight usually happens when shirt lifters are lowering the weight and because of the restricted movement of the shirt, they drop the bar on themselves.
[/quote]

I’m not dissing gear. I’m not debating which is better. I don’t care how people choose to lift. I just don’t buy the gear for safety argument I see a lot of.

LOL, yeah no need for debates… Those train wreaks are better in the PL forum.

Those youtubes, particularly the one where he almost drops it on his mellon are kinda stomach turning to watch.

Hey thanks for the Update you guys… I looked everywhere online, but could only find the physique contests results… Still Bummed that Johnny didn’t compete (even if he announced it months in advance). There has been too much trash talk between him and Stan to not follow it up with a competition…

[quote]SkinnyFatWhitey wrote:
Hey thanks for the Update you guys… I looked everywhere online, but could only find the physique contests results… Still Bummed that Johnny didn’t compete (even if he announced it months in advance). There has been too much trash talk between him and Stan to not follow it up with a competition…[/quote]

Stan lifted 100 pounds more than JOJ did last year. Johnnie can’t come close to the dude.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

Does that happen a lot?

[/quote]

I’m not dissing gear. I’m not debating which is better. I don’t care how people choose to lift. I just don’t buy the gear for safety argument I see a lot of.[/quote]

i personally think gear has gotten way out of hand. IMO, anything over single ply is out of hand. anyway… i’ve never used gear and could careless who uses it. although it is a little annoying when someone says they bench a certain weight and then i find out that it’s in a bench shirt. i feel that there’s a bench press and then there’s a geared bench press.

i find that if one trains raw they have a much better control over the weight. geared lifting always appears to be this balancing act where at any moment the lifter is going to topple over when squatting or dump the weight on their head or chest when benching. i don’t see how that can be safer.

The guys at Super Training put this up on their youtube account