2010 College Football

[quote]Dustin wrote:
It’s one of the more retarded things I have seen sport fans do; cheer for the conference even if their team isn’t playing.[/quote]

I understand the idea of rooting for the conference - more money for the conference, more prestige with a win, etc. However, as hard as I’ve tried, I still can’t root for texas in a big game. That USC-texas game was so difficult, I didn’t know when to be happy.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Shit my bad forgot about this Redstar[/quote]

Looks awesome I might well sign up for that. I’ll have to find a team to follow next.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:
It’s one of the more retarded things I have seen sport fans do; cheer for the conference even if their team isn’t playing.[/quote]

I understand the idea of rooting for the conference - more money for the conference, more prestige with a win, etc. However, as hard as I’ve tried, I still can’t root for texas in a big game. That USC-texas game was so difficult, I didn’t know when to be happy.[/quote]

Since I am at heart a fan of football is what I go with. However, I feel the same way watching the Sooners play in big games, very conflicted. You should be more conflicted with the number of kids from Texas that play for the Sooners. :slight_smile: Dont shoot me PMPM.

[quote]redstar144 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Looks awesome I might well sign up for that. I’ll have to find a team to follow next.[/quote]

Okay if you like old school football with a pro style type offense than watch the SEC, pick a team. If you like high scoring explosive offense watch the Big 12 and Texas is the best. I am biased so I dont like the Big 10 or the PAC 10.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]redstar144 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Looks awesome I might well sign up for that. I’ll have to find a team to follow next.[/quote]

Okay if you like old school football with a pro style type offense than watch the SEC, pick a team. If you like high scoring explosive offense watch the Big 12 and Texas is the best. I am biased so I dont like the Big 10 or the PAC 10. [/quote]

I reckon I’ll probably sample a bit of each and see what takes my fancy. I like the idea of the high scoring spread offences.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

I understand the idea of rooting for the conference - more money for the conference, more prestige with a win, etc. However, as hard as I’ve tried, I still can’t root for texas in a big game. That USC-texas game was so difficult, I didn’t know when to be happy.[/quote]

I actually rooted for Texas. It was the first and last time.

I hated those SC teams that much.

And to the rooting for the conference. I find it comical when a fan of Kentucky’s football program, for example, makes fun of the Texas program because Alabama beat them. It’s like Kentucky “won” or is also great by extension because they are in the same conference as Alabama.

edited

[quote]DJHT wrote:
You should be more conflicted with the number of kids from Texas that play for the Sooners. :slight_smile: [/quote]

I have absolutely no qualms with individuals who are trying to better their lives.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
You should be more conflicted with the number of kids from Texas that play for the Sooners. :slight_smile: [/quote]

I have absolutely no qualms with individuals who are trying to better their lives.[/quote]

LOl, you always crack me up.

Well, looks like it’s a thread packed with Big 12 fans here, going to be a tough crowd.

I was raised a Florida fan and have enjoyed their elite success the last few years, indeed. Definitely too bad they played Bama on their worst week in the season. I’m pumped about their #4 ranking in the AP poll but I still don’t believe that anyone is taking them seriously as a contender, which is too bad.

John Brantley, who is taking over for Tim Tebow, is a different style of player but a polished pocket passer who knows the offense well (as a Junior.) There’s also Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey, both of which run sub 4.3s and just have stupid speed.

My only question about the team is how the defense will respond with losing key starters like Brandon Spikes, Joe Haden, and Carlos Dunlap.

Oh well, they’ve had awesome recruiting classes the last few years, and hope that they can pull together for a National Championship run… but I will definitely ‘settle’ for a BCS game.

Is it me or does it seem like a TON of talent went pro. Seems like all the big teams are starting over, Bama has Ingram but everyone else is an unknown.

Go Hogs.

/thread

[quote]SSC wrote:

My only question about the team is how the defense will respond with losing key starters like Brandon Spikes, Joe Haden, and Carlos Dunlap.

[/quote]

I think this is why Florida isn’t projected to be quite as good as they have been the last few years. They not only lost starters but the heart and soul of their team in Tebow and Spikes to a lesser extent.

As much as I can’t stand all the Tebow Mania, I think his leadership and ability to motivate his team mates will be sorely missed.

But as you said, Urban recruited well so I don’t see Florida having a down year (4 or 5 losses).

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Is it me or does it seem like a TON of talent went pro. Seems like all the big teams are starting over, Bama has Ingram but everyone else is an unknown. [/quote]

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the most even and fair of all the BCS years this year. I don’t know if anyone is good enough to run the table (we’ll see with a team like Boise, though.) I doubt the National Champion this year is going to be undefeated.

Don’t forget about Trent Richardson behind Mark Ingram either. He’s a nasty part of that offense and a nice relief for one of the best RBs in the country right now. I like to use Darren McFadden and Felix Jones of Arkansas a few years back.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Is it me or does it seem like a TON of talent went pro. Seems like all the big teams are starting over, Bama has Ingram but everyone else is an unknown. [/quote]

Yes, I think college football will be down collectively.

That’s why I think a TCU or Boise State has a decent chance of sneaking into the big game.

I’m a UO student and occassionally work out with some of the players… My guess is this year we will be decent if only because we have LaMichael James on RB, assuming he manages to stay out of jail… So fucking frustrating when all three of our best players manage to fuck up in one season and either end up in jail or with season long suspensions…

Texas student here. Texas should be ranked exactly where they are. The prestige of the program speaks for itself. Muschamp raises a top 5 defense every year- regardless of who he graduates (Orakpo anyone?). Aaron Williams at corner, an experienced Gideon, among other returners in the secondary makes this unit once again one of the best. Look for Sam Acho to have no problem filling the void of Kindle.

Offensively, things get a bit more interesting. For those who say we need “time to adjust”…I have followed Texas forever and EVER YEAR they claim you will see more and more I Form. While I think they will show more of this due to Gilbert, do not think that we will attempt full fledge smash mouth football. Brown is not going to switch the entire system when he thinks we have a chance at a BCS game (and yeah, we do). We will run more pro style offense this year simply to help Gilbert adjust without so much pressure. Offensive line will be our sticking point. Marquis Goodwin will carry the receiver corps. We have healthy tied ends for once in the last 3 years.

Prediction…1 loss to Nebraska in Lincoln. That’s if they get their shit together offensively. Texas isn’t going anywhere and, assuming we can take care of OU, will take the conference again.

[quote]Houston07 wrote:
Texas student here. Texas should be ranked exactly where they are. The prestige of the program speaks for itself. Muschamp raises a top 5 defense every year- regardless of who he graduates (Orakpo anyone?). Aaron Williams at corner, an experienced Gideon, among other returners in the secondary makes this unit once again one of the best. Look for Sam Acho to have no problem filling the void of Kindle.

Offensively, things get a bit more interesting. For those who say we need “time to adjust”…I have followed Texas forever and EVER YEAR they claim you will see more and more I Form. While I think they will show more of this due to Gilbert, do not think that we will attempt full fledge smash mouth football. Brown is not going to switch the entire system when he thinks we have a chance at a BCS game (and yeah, we do). We will run more pro style offense this year simply to help Gilbert adjust without so much pressure. Offensive line will be our sticking point. Marquis Goodwin will carry the receiver corps. We have healthy tied ends for once in the last 3 years.

Prediction…1 loss to Nebraska in Lincoln. That’s if they get their shit together offensively. Texas isn’t going anywhere and, assuming we can take care of OU, will take the conference again. [/quote]

I do think Texas will need some time to adjust offensively. You are tweaking an offense that has not changed in probably six years. Texas also brings in an unproven quarterback with a questionable line. This is what OU faced last year and it was painful to watch at times.

I can’t see Texas losing much more than one or two games, but I don’t see how they will be as good as they have been the last two years. Texas still has to prove that they can run the ball because they no longer have a QB who was also the leading rusher.

[quote]Houston07 wrote:
Texas student here. Texas should be ranked exactly where they are. The prestige of the program speaks for itself.
[/quote]

And I couldn’t let this go.

Why do say, “they should be ranked exactly where they are”?

The prestige of the program has zero to do with who Texas has coming back or who has the left the program.

I’m not sure how you can expect them to not miss a beat after Colt McCoy graduated (along with Shipley), not to mention several key defensive players.

Fair enough. Put simply though, Landry Jones isn’t Garrett Gilbert. The guy had virtually no preparation and showed his ability against Alabama. Yeah, he made some mistakes. The guy was NINETEEN. I woulda shat myself if I was put in such a situation. Not to mention, his receivers (save Shipley in the second half) actually hurt him. Dropped balls everywhere, a la Malcolm Williams in the endzone.

The kid is special. Watched him in high school-- has a bigger gun than some NFL quarterbacks. I acknowledge the O Line deficiency, as I noted. If they hold the pocket, he will pick secondarys apart.

And yeah, he isn’t Colt McCoy, but the dude is more mobile than some other traditional quarterbacks (Bradford). If he continues to grow into his frame, Big 12 defenses are in trouble.

By prestige of the program, I meant good recruits and excellent coaches. I think that;s fair in summing up how prestigous a college football organization is.

I also never said they won’t miss a beat. I do humbly predict a loss. I don’t, however, see a meltdown.