2010-2011 NBA Season 3.0

I think it’s really important for the Lakers to win tonight to secure the number 2 seed because I want the Spurs and the Thunder to beat up on each other. I’d rather see Dallas in the second round and then deal with the Spurs/Thunder in the Western Conference Finals.

does anyone here follow college ball?

It’s looking like the Raptors will have the 3rd best chance in the lottery this year and I’m wondering is there a big pick in this year’s draft?

Is this year’s draft class looking strong?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

It’s looking like the Raptors will have the 3rd best chance in the lottery this year and I’m wondering is there a big pick in this year’s draft?

Is this year’s draft class looking strong?[/quote]

No, it’s actually pretty weak. There are supposedly some intriguing Euro prospects but those guys are so hit-or-miss that I really don’t put any stock in their scouting reports until I can see 'em against serious comp. I do think Harrison Barnes will eventually be a pretty good player, but not sure he’s coming out this year.

[quote]randman wrote:
Another article that rips apart all of Hollinger’s analysis rankings PER and power rankings.

All you have to do is go to google and type “Hollinger’s power rankings flawed” and go through the mountainous volume of articles debunking this idiot’s prowress of a basketball analyst trying to dehydrate basketball into pure “stats”. Yes, I’m talking to u sjc119 Aka the guy who laughs at player injuries.[/quote]

Shit man it’s going to be fun watching you wiggle your way out of some comments you’ve made – most notably: Celtics will win the East, Miami won’t reach the ECF, LA will win the title.

You were already wrong on the comment you made a while back when you boldly declared this year’s Lakers are the best ever. You’ve made more out of adrenaline comments than I’ve made, that’s the truth. The only real controversial comment I’ve made this year is when I said I couldn’t imagine Miami beating the Celtics in a 7 game series. I guess we will see how that pans out. Until then just worry about how your Lakers are doing.

[quote]randman wrote:
I think it’s really important for the Lakers to win tonight to secure the number 2 seed because I want the Spurs and the Thunder to beat up on each other. I’d rather see Dallas in the second round and then deal with the Spurs/Thunder in the Western Conference Finals.[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for. A lot of people have been sleeping on the Mavs. It’s gotten to a point in their recent history where people have kind of given up on them making any serious playoff push, no matter what their regular season record is. Maybe without all this attention Mark Cuban and the Mavs can be the ones doing the upsetting instead of being the ‘upsetees’.

[quote]randman wrote:
Another article that rips apart all of Hollinger’s analysis rankings PER and power rankings.

All you have to do is go to google and type “Hollinger’s power rankings flawed” and go through the mountainous volume of articles debunking this idiot’s prowress of a basketball analyst trying to dehydrate basketball into pure “stats”. Yes, I’m talking to u sjc119 Aka the guy who laughs at player injuries.[/quote]

Ofcourse you don’t like Hollinger. He represents a threat to the Laker fan way of thinking. “Hey look at us we got Kobe and size down low, we’re unstoppable!”

[quote]randman wrote:
There is very little “we” when it comes to DHoward, mostly “you”[/quote]

Maybe you’re jelly Dwight Howard has big shoulders and you don’t? I hear shoulder envy syndrome is common among older folk.

[quote]randman wrote:
You took one statistic FG % and compared him to other PGs. You neophytes keep trying to make the NBA a completely stat based sport. There is no one in the league that made his teammates better by his pure commitment to a new coach, and a new offensive and defensive system. No one. You can argue it all you want, I’m willing to bet he’s going to win and deservedly so.

I swear some of you guys know shit when it comes to basketball but argue your opinions like your scholars. [/quote]

â??noun
a beginner or novice: He’s a neophyte at chess.
Roman Catholic Church . a novice.
a person newly converted to a belief, as a heathen, heretic, or nonbeliever; proselyte.
Primitive Church . a person newly baptized.

Origin:
1540â??50; < Late Latin neophytus newly planted < Greek

Nice to see you’ve been paying attention in Church and not sneakily watching League Pass on your iPhone during sermons.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]randman wrote:
I think it’s really important for the Lakers to win tonight to secure the number 2 seed because I want the Spurs and the Thunder to beat up on each other. I’d rather see Dallas in the second round and then deal with the Spurs/Thunder in the Western Conference Finals.[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for. A lot of people have been sleeping on the Mavs. It’s gotten to a point in their recent history where people have kind of given up on them making any serious playoff push, no matter what their regular season record is. Maybe without all this attention Mark Cuban and the Mavs can be the ones doing the upsetting instead of being the ‘upsetees’.[/quote]
Mavs need to sort out how much time they allocate to certain players.

Today’s games against NOH was basically how I have felt it should be. Less time for Roddy, only bring him on when they really need his speed. The guy hasn’t been shooting very well and from what I have seen of him, takes on too much of the hero role.

West - Spurs, Lakers, OKC
East - Bulls, Heat, Knicks and Magic

I’m not game enough just yet to decide between POR and DAL. My heart says Dallas but my head says Portland. I’m even sitting on the fence with Denver and OKC to some extent.

I do have a Lakers v Bulls finale. Bulls taking it in 7.

[quote]randman wrote:
But based on the most recent prognosis on Bynum, even a 50% Bynum in the Western conference finals I think would be enough to eke by the Thunder still.[/quote]

I agree with this. Bynum isn’t so much important statistically as he is for being a big body who can neutralize guys like Perkins, which allows Gasol to work uninhibited.

At least that’s what I noticed in the Finals vs. the Celtics last year, where an also injured Bynum was good enough to let Gasol do well whenever he was on the court. When he wasn’t there Gasol had trouble and the Lakers lost.

But I disagree with the prediction of the Celtics making the Finals. They’re already beat up, getting tired, missing their two best defensive players from last year [Perkins, and Tony Allen]. The two guys replacing Perkins role are asscheeks. And they have to get by New York, and Miami–who at least have shown in their last match up that they will play rough too, and the Celtics didn’t know how to handle it that night. I think they’ll get past those teams, but they’ll be tired by the time the Bulls [who have it much easier] will face them.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

No, it’s actually pretty weak. There are supposedly some intriguing Euro prospects but those guys are so hit-or-miss that I really don’t put any stock in their scouting reports until I can see 'em against serious comp. [/quote]

Colangelo probably has a semi already FML.

btw, there are rumours that at the end of his deal with the Raptors Colangelo might go to New York as GM. He’s got a lot of former players and his old coach there.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
Old: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/20102011_nba_season_20?id=4306550&pageNo=45

Should I just change this to the playoff thread? Anyway, so my last post doesn’t get lost:

While we’re on the topic of Kobe–his numbers may be down but he’s leading the league in points per 48 minutes. I can’t tell if his reduced minutes are to save energy for the playoffs or because of wear and tear forcing him to take it easy, but if it’s the former than look for his numbers to go up to where they were in years prior when the playoffs start.

[/quote]

To answer a different part of your post - generally the less minutes a player plays, the more efficient he is. So that is part of the equation, but Kobe is still really damn good.[/quote]

True, I didn’t look at it that way.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
Old: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/20102011_nba_season_20?id=4306550&pageNo=45

Should I just change this to the playoff thread? Anyway, so my last post doesn’t get lost:

While we’re on the topic of Kobe–his numbers may be down but he’s leading the league in points per 48 minutes. I can’t tell if his reduced minutes are to save energy for the playoffs or because of wear and tear forcing him to take it easy, but if it’s the former than look for his numbers to go up to where they were in years prior when the playoffs start.

[/quote]

Last I checked this was the fewest mpg Bryant’s played since his second year, and he’s still putting up 25/5/5. That’s crazy. I think part of it is sto conserve him for the playoffs and part of it is to just give his body a rest. He’s put a lot of miles on his body and he’s dealt with some pretty gnarley inuries the last few years. I will say that this season he’s been jumping better than he has in the last 2 years. He’s gotten a lot more dunks [especially in traffic] that he didn’t get the last 2 seasons.[/quote]

That’s good news that he’s seemed more athletic than the last few years.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]randman wrote:

Ofcourse you don’t like Hollinger. He represents a threat to the Laker fan way of thinking. “Hey look at us we got Kobe and size down low, we’re unstoppable!”[/quote]

Leave him alone man he’s had a rough week. You would be grouchy too if you were a Lakers and Red Sox fan. :}

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

No, it’s actually pretty weak. There are supposedly some intriguing Euro prospects but those guys are so hit-or-miss that I really don’t put any stock in their scouting reports until I can see 'em against serious comp. I do think Harrison Barnes will eventually be a pretty good player, but not sure he’s coming out this year.[/quote]

Euro prospects are right up Colangelo’s alley.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

No, it’s actually pretty weak. There are supposedly some intriguing Euro prospects but those guys are so hit-or-miss that I really don’t put any stock in their scouting reports until I can see 'em against serious comp. [/quote]

btw, there are rumours that at the end of his deal with the Raptors Colangelo might go to New York as GM. He’s got a lot of former players and his old coach there. [/quote]

Not sure what was “has a semi already FML” means.

I always thought FML = fuck my life.

I heard that rumour and really can’t see it happening.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

btw, there are rumours that at the end of his deal with the Raptors Colangelo might go to New York as GM. He’s got a lot of former players and his old coach there. [/quote]

I heard that rumour and really can’t see it happening.[/quote]

He has one about the European prospects. You’re right about FML.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I heard that rumour and really can’t see it happening.[/quote]

He has one about the European prospects. You’re right about FML. [/quote]

Paul Jones said something interesting in the Raptors post game yesterday. He said once you get into the lottery it generally takes 7 years to get out.

Also someone called in to bitch about the price of Raptors season tickets, and Jones mentioned that he has to buy season tickets every year. Apparently the radio commentators have to buy tickets to raptors games to do their jobs??

^Pretty much. A player special enough to carry a team out of mediocrity when he’s drafted is rare. Every few years maybe one, and only one team gets him.

That’s crazy that the play-by-play have to pay for tickets. You would think the organization wouldn’t be so cheap.

Im pretty excited for the Knicks to be back in the playoffs, 2004 does not count, I dont expect them to win but I do believe we are gonna be a tough out…Celtics in 6, but we are gonna make em sweat…KG DICK!