T Nation

2009 Worlds

No talk yet? Can’t wait myself. Starts tomorrow - will Long officially beat Mutlu’s ridiculous 1994 performance? Will the Iranian beast live up to the hype, or will Scerbatihs annihilate him? Will Rybakou snatch another WR? Will Vysniauskas do more than 2/6? Will Dabaya bottle his final C&J yet again and lose the gold to another Chinese freak? Will Boevski’s records go?

Go Dabaya!!! Hopefully he beats the chinese. Too bad Chigisev is not in Korea. I can even watch the competition from Eurosport.

I think Long already did that last year at the Olympics, but I don’t see him beating Mutlu’s current 56 WRs this year. He’s so young though so he has plenty of time.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
ninearms wrote:will Long officially beat Mutlu’s ridiculous 1994 performance?

I think Long already did that last year at the Olympics, but I don’t see him beating Mutlu’s current 56 WRs this year. He’s so young though so he has plenty of time.[/quote]

Didn’t get the C&J in Beijing. You’re right though, he has plenty of time, unless some other schoolage superhuman comes along and replaces him.

Is there some place where it will be viewable online? Or will it not be televised?

If you’re in Europe then it’s being shown on Eurosport, otherwise you’ll have to wait for bits to crop up on youtube.

It will be fun to watch. One of my former training partners is on the US world team.

I’m looking forward to seeing Aramnau compete again, I’d like to see him set a few new world records. I’d say he’s got it in him provided he hasn’t been doing too much drinking and driving.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
I’m looking forward to seeing Aramnau compete again, I’d like to see him set a few new world records. I’d say he’s got it in him provided he hasn’t been doing too much drinking and driving.[/quote]

I’d be surprised. I think he’ll be pushed very hard by Lapikov. Since the drink driving incident Aramnau’s been training back at home with his personal coach because his funding has been withdrawn. He did 180/220 last month and looked fat(ter). Lapikov’s got a 200kg snatch in him, Dolega’s got the strength just not the consistency.

[quote]ninearms wrote:
TheJonty wrote:
I’m looking forward to seeing Aramnau compete again, I’d like to see him set a few new world records. I’d say he’s got it in him provided he hasn’t been doing too much drinking and driving.

I’d be surprised. I think he’ll be pushed very hard by Lapikov. Since the drink driving incident Aramnau’s been training back at home with his personal coach because his funding has been withdrawn. He did 180/220 last month and looked fat(ter). Lapikov’s got a 200kg snatch in him, Dolega’s got the strength just not the consistency.[/quote]

Well if his funding has been withdrawn I guess you could say he has been doing too much drinking and driving. I did not know that, changes the perspective quite a bit.

And in all honesty I was more excited to see Klokov lift, and then found out he was injured and is not competing. Actually a few of the guys I wanted to see lift aren’t competing; Chigishev (I think), Steiner, last time I checked I didn’t see Rybakou or Ilin on the start lists either.

I don’t tink Dabaya will be able to out do the Chinese at the Worlds…

I’ll be recording all of this shizzle :smiley:

Hopefully they’ll be series linked!

Koing

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
ninearms wrote:
TheJonty wrote:
I’m looking forward to seeing Aramnau compete again, I’d like to see him set a few new world records. I’d say he’s got it in him provided he hasn’t been doing too much drinking and driving.

I’d be surprised. I think he’ll be pushed very hard by Lapikov. Since the drink driving incident Aramnau’s been training back at home with his personal coach because his funding has been withdrawn. He did 180/220 last month and looked fat(ter). Lapikov’s got a 200kg snatch in him, Dolega’s got the strength just not the consistency.

Well if his funding has been withdrawn I guess you could say he has been doing too much drinking and driving. I did not know that, changes the perspective quite a bit.

And in all honesty I was more excited to see Klokov lift, and then found out he was injured and is not competing. Actually a few of the guys I wanted to see lift aren’t competing; Chigishev (I think), Steiner, last time I checked I didn’t see Rybakou or Ilin on the start lists either.[/quote]

Rybakou was entered at 370 (Lu Yong’s entered at 395…), but isn’t anymore - there’s another guy from Belarus instead entered at 377. Ilin isn’t (similar situation to Aramnau re money issues, except he claims he isn’t being paid his stipend, the fed says he is, and his bosses aren’t happy that he wants to take the rest of the year off for family reasons).

Here’s fat Aramnau: http://news.tut.by/149594.html

Long just missed a WR attempt in the C&J with 169kg - made the clean but didn’t have enough to fix the jerk. Both Chinese lifters looked like they were having a lot of fun though, no pressure, laughing and smiling between attempts. Wu beat Long in the snatch (Long’s 3rd was turned down for pressout, 2nd was a tough save that he was very pleased with), but Long took the C&J and total. Alvarez was rock solid and took the bronze with 5/6. Italian team being coached by Gardev.

f0ck!!!

Missed the 56’s already! I read that ‘tomorrow’ as in Saturday and didn’t realise yourp ost was from yesterda! Doh!

Koing

Ah bummer. Randy Strossen was commentating too - hopefully we’ll get him for the whole comp.

Some great pics and commentary from the worlds at http://www.robmacklem.com/

Rybakou is out?! He was on the first entry list posted with 375. Lu Yong world standard entry total?!!

[quote]EB2012 wrote:
Rybakou is out?! He was on the first entry list posted with 375. Lu Yong world standard entry total?!! [/quote]

I thought Lu’s entry total was 385 . . . ?

[quote]ninearms wrote:
TheJonty wrote:
ninearms wrote:
TheJonty wrote:
… Alvarez was rock solid and took the bronze with 5/6.[/quote]

Good to see him Medal. He didn’t do well in the Olympics.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
EB2012 wrote:
Rybakou is out?! He was on the first entry list posted with 375. Lu Yong world standard entry total?!!

I thought Lu’s entry total was 385 . . . ?[/quote]

It is now, but it was 395 on the earlier lists.

Chinese lifters scraped by in the 62s by virtue of better snatching, but got beaten in the C&J by the Indonesian Irawan who took the C&J gold (very fast feet) and the Taipei lifter in the B group who took silver. Ding ended up taking the overall gold (146/170), Irawan silver (140/175) and Yang the bronze (144/170). Both Chinese lifters opened up very heavy and that was pretty much the limit for them. Ding struggled to recover his opening clean and the jerk was ragged, couldn’t stand with his second, then stood up with the same weight for his 3rd but it took too much out of him and he missed the jerk.

Highlights of the 56s on the IWF site now, don’t know how long they’ll be up before they change to the 62s or 48s.