2008 Beijing Olympics Weightlifting Thread

Can`t wait to see the lifting events. Especially the 69 and 77k. China will do some major damage in all events though. They want to show the world what they can do in terms of athletics on their own turf.

Olympic weightlifting features foreign coaches in three teams

Special report: 2008 Olympic Games

BEIJING, Aug. 4 (Xinhua) -- Language barrier, different lifestyles and homesick -- three coaches working overseas weightlifting teams face the similar scenes. However, after clearing the obstacles, their hard work paid off with the improvement of world weightlifting. 

Chen Xian has been working in Mexico for five years since 2003 when he was sent by China to help Mexico in weightlifting. 

Despite a three-month training of Spanish, Chen still admitted that the biggest obstacle was the language barrier when he first arrived in Mexico. He learned from the lifters and gradually deepened communication with them. 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/04/content_8946107.htm

"Let the Doping Suspensions Begin As if the recent news that Maria Sharapova is doubtful for the Games wasn�??t bad enough for Russia�??s Olympic ambitions, the IAAF today announced the suspensions of seven Russian athletes from international competition for doping violations, including five who were bound for Beijing.

And if you think that�??s bad, consider the fact that the Olympic weightlifting competition hasn�??t even started yet. You know the old Vince Lomardi saying, �??Show me a good loser and I�??ll show you a loser�??? Well, show me a clean weightlifter and I�??ll show you, well, a weightlifter who will probably win an Olympic medal but only after all of the other drugged-up weightlifters have been disqualified."

DPRK weightlifting team keeps secret of its gold prospect at Beijing Olympics

Special report: 2008 Olympic Games

BEIJING, Aug. 3 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) lifters and coaches visited Olympic weightlifting events competition and training venues in the Beijing University ofAeronautics and Astronautics (BUAA) Sunday morning but refused to disclose their gold prospect at Beijing Olympics. 

Coach Kim Kwang Dok first said the team has aimed at three goldsbut immediately denied it. 

"I was joking," he said, adding that the team will try to make breakthroughs in light bodyweight classes. 

The DPRK weightlifting team arrived in Beijing on Saturday. The lifters will take their first training sessions Sunday afternoon from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., according to the coach

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/03/content_8927480.htm

2008 Beijing Olympics
Before Guests Arrive, Beijing Hides Some Messes

By JAKE HOOKER
Published: July 29, 2008

BEIJING �?? Tourists leaving the west gate of the Temple of Heaven next month will probably not notice Song Wei�??s home across the street. Nor are spectators along the Olympic marathon route likely to stop by Sun Ruonan�??s restaurant nearby.

Here are the TV listings from the NBC site. You can customize it to your time zone and cable provider:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/index.html

Supposedly they’re going to host the full footage online (like they do for sitcoms) since most of the weightlifting is supposed to be aired at 3 am.

I’m living in Beijing for the summer, got a bunch of tickets to other events, but have super heavyweight mens final tickets for August 19. New to the sport, who should I watch for? I know Hossein is out, but who’re the favorites?

I’m rooting for Chigishev, it doesn’t get more badass than being stabbed in a barfight (and your teammate getting killed) and coming back to being one of the top supers in the world

Yep, Chigishev is one to watch. Also keep your eye on Steiner and Scerbahtis. The SHW class is likely to be a very close battle between those three guys.

The first bit of weightlifting is over with the womens 48kg taking place tonight.

Rank Name NOC Date of Birth Group Body
Weight Snatch Clean & Jerk Total
1 2 3 Results 1 2 3 Results
1 CHEN Xiexia China Jan 08 1983 A 47.46 90 93 95 95 113 115 117 117 212
2 OZKAN Sibel Turkey Mar 03 1988 A 47.80 86 88 88 88 108 108 111 111 199
3 CHEN Wei-Ling Chinese Taipei Jan 04 1982 A 47.11 84 87 87 84 108 112 115 112 196

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/WL/C73/WLW048000.shtml#WLW048A01

Favorite Xiexia Chen of China took the first Chinese gold with a OR 117kg clean and a OR 212kg total.

all i want to know if these 2 chicks are participating-

Without even clicking on the link I can safely assume you’re talking about Julia Rohde and Maria de la Puente.

The answer is Julia Rohde is lifting, but Maria de la Puente isn’t.

I don’t know about you guys, but I am gonna be cheering on Melanie Roach. She competes in the 53kg and she is HOT!!!

She’ll be lifting tomorrow…

Chen Wei-Ling took a serious tumble with her 3rd clean and jerk attempt today. I really thought she had it!!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/zone=CT/sport=WL/online.html You can watch here. All sessions are archived as well allowing viewing whenever you want.

It seemed like it was a rough night (day?) for some of the 48kg women yesterday. Lots of dropped weights. Some didn’t get any good lifts on the snatch.

Fun to watch. I’m looking forward to this.

Nurcan Taylan bombed. Everybody knew she wasn’t in the form needed for the gold, but she was capable of medaling.

Who do you think can break a World Record, apart from Rybakou?

can someone pm me a zip code and tv provider to put into the above link about watching the weightlifting online.

cheers
Scott

97401, KMTR if you need to insert a zip code and tv provider.

KMTR? can’t seem to find it in the list?