T Nation

2008 Beijing Olympics Weightlifting Thread

I’m a powerlifter not an oly lifter, I don’t know a whole lot about the sport, nor do I claim too. But I thought this thread would be useful over the next few weeks as we follow the Beijing Olympics, all related content could be posted and discussed in here.
http://en.beijing2008.cn/sports/weightlifting/

Lots to talk about already with Greece and Bulgaria out of the ranks, and Hossain Rezazadeh opting out.

Heres a video I fell across of some of China’s best in training, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5LMZSM_4NM

Iraqi Athletes �??Unlikely�?? to Be at Olympics

The International Olympic Committee said Thursday that it was �??very unlikely�?? that Iraqi athletes would compete at the Beijing Games because the Iraqi government refused to reinstate the country�??s official Olympic committee in time to officially submit most of their names…

With bulgaria and greece out of olympics, the chinese could do some serious damage in weightlifting. The chinese in general are great to watch since they all have such great technique and many are built for the sport.

Does any olympic lifter no why they are doing those hand stands?

this is actually the first olympics that i’ve looked forward too. i cant wait. I want to watch all the weight lifting, track and other events. I just hope the time difference doesnt suck for aus

[quote]shizen wrote:

Does any olympic lifter no why they are doing those hand stands? [/quote]

not sure what you are referring to, but after my last meet I wat told I need to do handstand pushups to help fix problems with my jerk. Maybe they do it for something like that.

Don’t they realize they’ll never get anywhere with all that slow jogging and wearing straps?

[quote]shizen wrote:
[…]

To decompress the spine.

These are not actual hand stands, they are hanging upside-down from a rope (or something similar) attached to their feet.

[quote]shizen wrote:
With bulgaria and greece out of olympics, the chinese could do some serious damage in weightlifting. The chinese in general are great to watch since they all have such great technique and many are built for the sport.

sorry, but greece wasn’t a huge threat to China this year, Bulgaria, maybe w/ Ivan Stoitsov in the 77’s but its not a big deal. China wants a gold in each weightclass they entered and I don’t think they will get it in the 77’s, and the 85’s. Taner Sagir and Andrei Rybakou are going to destroy their competition at the Games!

Why are greece and bulgaria out? Drugs again?

[quote]M.I.C wrote:
Why are greece and bulgaria out? Drugs again? [/quote]

Yup. Funny thing is that both countries had stories about them several months prior vowing to prove to the world that they’re clean programs.

Greece is still sending 5 lifters - 4 men and 1 woman, although only Kourtidis is a real contender for a top 5 spot (assuming he’s put on a few more kilos since Chiang Mai).

Why is Rezazedeh out?

[quote]isr wrote:
Why is Rezazedeh out?[/quote]

By the sounds of things it’s because he knew he wasn’t gonna win.

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
this is actually the first olympics that i’ve looked forward too. i cant wait. I want to watch all the weight lifting, track and other events. I just hope the time difference doesnt suck for aus[/quote]

It won’t be as bad as the 12 hour difference for us in the U.S. My DVR is definitely going to get a workout.

I’ll be there. If you guys are interested, I’ll post my pictures up here (when/if I can find a computer over there).

Hell yes we’re interested!!

awesome~! Post pics!!

How did you manage to get tickets for it?

I’m going with my brother, and his good friend is from China, so his family invited us to stay with them for our visit and treat us. His parents are well-off and work for the government and they bought the tickets awhile ago. All we’re paying for is our plane tickets.

I still can’t believe how lucky we are, this trip is pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me.

ok, so this is the first time i have ever been interested in the olympics since I am new to this sport. Anyway, anyone wiht a suggestion as to find out when this stuff is going to hit the tv at a time I can watch it? I only have the internet at work so most websites are blocked…actually surprised they havent blocked T-Nation.