2006: What Have You Learned?

1. Chad Waterbury: good for gym numbers, bad for buying new clothes on a student budget.

2. The more I learn, the less I realise I know.

3. If Dave Tate can do it with all he has to fit in, we can all do it.

4. A pint of PVA glue is not a clever idea to drink for a bet however funny.

5. Soft tissue work REALLY hurts.

6. I sometimes wonder if I will ever have the flexibility for overhead squats!!!

1. It’s way easier to lose strength than gain it.

2. Eat big = gain weight.

Yes, I am serious, this is what I have learned. You can also bet I won’t find myself pulling a “#1” again.

1. Training with partners make a HUGE difference.
  2. Bands are great !
  3. Dive bomb full squats are the devil, right knee is fucked up but still able to squat low bar and wide stance with no pain, front squats, oly squats, bulgarian SS… are out of the equation for a while.
  4. You never have enough chalk.

2006 was my first year lifting (I started just after turning 30). I’ve read a ton and learned a ton about the right way to lift (ie, compound lifts instead of machines, periodization, etc), and most importantly, I’m getting in shape and having a lot of fun.

I look forward to an even better 2007.

I learned that a lot of what I had believed about some family members for 30 years was not just wrong, but 180 degrees out of whack.

I learned that even a 35 year old secret can be figured out by the right person.

I learned that I am not the person I always thought I was.

I learned that it is still possible to go through major personality changes in middle age.

I used to laugh at guys my age that would do the stereotypical middle age shit - buy a Corvette, cheat on the wife with a younger woman, try to hang with younger people party-wise, etc.
Now I understand exactly what is going on, and why they do it.

I learned that nothing lasts forever. Nothing.

I learned that at 50 you can completely change your body in just a few months. All you have to do is Cosgrove / Berardi.

I learned that Yoga is the real thing. Not some hippy bullshit.

I learned that one reason most people don’t get rich is that they spend all their time just making a living.

I learned that you can have money running out of your ass and still be unhappy.

I learned that everything I thought I knew about women is at least partly wrong, even though almost all of my friends are female. Now they seem like complete cyphers to me. Is there a single one that ever says exactly what she really thinks?

Mostly, I learned what the Hour of the Wolf is really like.

I hope 2007 is easier on my nerves.

I learned that I still have a lot to learn!

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
I learned NEVER EVER TRUST MUTUAL FRIENDS WITH INTIMATE ISSUES, they will rat in a heartbeat and destroy everything.[/quote]

BTW, When is the trial?

1 the body is a machine. under certain conditions it cant help but to grow.
2 there is such a thing as working too hard (i used to burn out on every set whith 2 or 3 forced reps)
3 droping body weight is really easy

I learned I didn’t know anything about training before I came to T-Nation.

I learned to trust my gut. I also learned to make sure I lower the pins in the squat rack before I warmup on the front squat with an unloaded bar, that one hurt!