2006 FIFA World Cup Draw

[quote]Freaky Styley wrote:
You’re right. The U.S. only beats weak opposition. Like Mexico.

We wouldn’t want to bring up the results of the Northern Ireland match, would we?[/quote]

Don’t be a cock, we all know on this bgoar dthat the U.S have little to no chance of winning the world cup. England however DO have a chance, as do Italy, Spain, Germany, Brazil, France, Argentina, Holland, Portugal, and MAYBE the czech republic and Mexico.

You beat them once in a pointless qualifier WOW. Fact is that you’re not very good. I can name you many world class players from each of the teams i’ve mentioned, anyone would struggle to do this for the U.S.

As for Northern Island, well every dog has his day and they’ve had it, and who jsut beat Argentina, it was competitive for a friendly.

[quote]alstan90 wrote:
Don’t be a cock, we all know on this bgoar dthat the U.S have little to no chance of winning the world cup. England however DO have a chance, as do Italy, Spain, Germany, Brazil, France, Argentina, Holland, Portugal, and MAYBE the czech republic and Mexico.

You beat them once in a pointless qualifier WOW. Fact is that you’re not very good. I can name you many world class players from each of the teams i’ve mentioned, anyone would struggle to do this for the U.S.

As for Northern Island, well every dog has his day and they’ve had it, and who jsut beat Argentina, it was competitive for a friendly.
[/quote]

We beat Mexico pretty regularly when the game’s not in Mexico City.

No one expected much out of us in '02, either. That’s fine. Ask Portugal about that.

The U.S. team is not full of world-class players. I fully admit that. However, neither was Greece. I think they won something of importance recently.

[quote]Freaky Styley wrote:
alstan90 wrote:

We beat Mexico pretty regularly when the game’s not in Mexico City.

No one expected much out of us in '02, either. That’s fine. Ask Portugal about that.

The U.S. team is not full of world-class players. I fully admit that. However, neither was Greece. I think they won something of importance recently.

[/quote]

And failed to qualify for the world cup :wink:

[quote]alstan90 wrote:
And failed to qualify for the world cup ;-)[/quote]

True :slight_smile: But my point stands. In a one-month tournament, strange things can happen.

All of this banter is amusing to say the least. I love talking with Europeans about U.S. soccer, because they have such an old view of our team. The fact is that the U.S. have several very seasoned international players, including some of the top keepers in the world. Reyna, McBride, O’Brien, Beasley and Donovan have all shown that they can play (although Donovan needs to make the easy shots that he missed in '02).

I think Eddie Johnson is going to turn some heads this summer. Since he plays in MLS, no one abroad has heard of him, yet the guy is good-sized, lightning fast and has a knack for finding the back of the net. I am concerned about the U.S. back line though and the size of the U.S. attackers is still lacking, which really hurts at times as Beasley and Donovan just get pounded on.

The loss of Sanneh from the '02 team will be felt. I haven’t been that impressed with who is left in the back, but I think when Keller is on, he’s as good as anyone. We’ll see.

DB

I think the world is lucky that soccer takes a back seat to virtually (sp?) all other team sports in the US. Cause ya’ll know what happens when the statue of liberty starts shaking her fist :slight_smile:

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
The loss of Sanneh from the '02 team will be felt. I haven’t been that impressed with who is left in the back, but I think when Keller is on, he’s as good as anyone. We’ll see.

DB[/quote]

I’ve been impressed by Gooch on more than one occasion, but it’ll be interesting seeing how he deals with the biggest stage and best players he’s ever seen.

Also, what are the odds that Freddy is named to the World Cup squad? I think it’d take at least a couple of injuries to players in front of him as well as impressive performances in any friendlies he might play, and even then Arena might hesitate to choose a 17-year-old (which he will be for the WC)

I’m happy that most Australians were estatic with just making the world cup for a change, cause I think we are going to get our asses beat badly in our draw. Brazil, Croatia, Japan and us.

Our coach was trying to be positive when he described our chances of making the second round as “statistically possible”.

Kasey Keller, is that who you are on about. As good as anyone? How about Petr Czech, Dida, Robinson, Buffon, Casillas?

You serously think your keepers are in the same league?

Howard can’t get in the Man Utd team and Keller and Friedel arn’t that great.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
chrismcl wrote:
I just hope we get to spank the Mexicans again at some time during the Cup.

Ditto. I find it odd that the Mexican fans look down so much on American soccer despite our owning them the last 10 or so matches. They needed to play at Azteca to beat us…[/quote]

Mexicans are some of the most nationalistic fans you’ll ever meet.

Personally, I think it’s an inferiority complex they have with us. It’s the only thing they can beat us at - (and not that regularly, mind you) so they like to lord it over us.

Considering they copy everything else from us - (don’t believe me? watch Univision sometime and tell me I’m wrong) take it as a complement.

[quote]juninho wrote:
the US have a chance of making it through. Italy and the Czechs are the obvious favourites to go through,[/quote]

Really? says who? The US squad is better than the Czech Republic. They will beat them in a neutral field. Hell, the US squad will give the Italians a run for their money.

[quote]
England should win their group.[/quote]

England is overrated. They haven’t done shit in the WC since that run in Italia’90.

[quote]
I know Sweden are decent but fuck that, we’re talking about being potential world champions here.[/quote]

Dude, I know the English are soccer-mad, but Brazil are the potential world champions. Period.

[quote]
There’s no way their team matches ours on paper.[/quote]

Like Romania beating England in '98? Paper match-ups don’t mean shit. That’s why you play the games.

[quote]
If we don’t win the group it’ll be due to tactical fuck ups by sven or players choking on the big day, neither of which is an acceptable excuse IMO.[/quote]

That’s the story of my team, Spain. Another overrated “power” who lives on the reputation of its domestic league.

[quote]
go to BBC Sport - Scores, Fixtures, News - Live Sport and play their predictor game - it’s minutes of semi-fun. The way I did it I had England beating the Argies in the final. Might not bother watching the tournament now, it’s a foregone conclusion…[/quote]

I was in England during France’98 and Euro 2000. The English are so fanatical about their boys it borders on delusional when they gauge their teams realistic chances. I’m calling a crash out in the quarters.

It will be Brazil v. somebody who is going to get their clock cleaned. Although history favors a European side in a European World Cup - we’ll see. Brazil is hella strong AGAIN.

cheers and good luck with your 3 lions.

[quote]alstan90 wrote:
Kasey Keller, is that who you are on about. As good as anyone? How about Petr Czech, Dida, Robinson, Buffon, Casillas?

Howard can’t get in the Man Utd team and Keller and Friedel arn’t that great.[/quote]

Hmm… although a few of those names were named best keepers in the Premiership over the last few years last time I checked. :wink:

[quote]alstan90 wrote:
It’s also about time spai pulled their weight, although I think it’s fair to say that this isn’t their best chance ever. Shame Raul isn’t the player he was, but thsi could be Torres’ tournament. Still their is some world class their.

Casillas, Torres, Joaquin, Garcia,

alonso, raul?[/quote]

Spain has talent in spades, but they have lacked the three things needed to win the World Cup - luck, consistent play, and the killer instinct to clamp the jugular - they just don’t know how to win the big game (i.e. lack of on-field leadership).

for example, Japan/SK '02 South Korea beating Spain the quarters? Unbelievable bullshit - it should have never come down to a referee’s non-call. Spain should have spanked them up and down the field to set up an epic semi-final with Germany.

France’98: the debacles against Nigeria and Paraguay? Zubizarreta - are you fucking kidding me?

USA '94: quarters against Italy: the non-call on Luis Enrique getting his nose broken by Tassoti (he took an intentional elbow to the face on a corner kick ) should have gotten the penalty. Spain, deflated, gave up a goal to Baggio a few minutes later.

Spain OWNED Italy that day.

Mexico '86: the quarter final choke job against Belgium in the penalty kicks

Euro Cup Finals '84 v. France: the goalie Aranzubia - again what the fuck?

Anyway - as you can see it’s been pretty bleak for ‘la furia roja’ since '64.

Yet their youth squads DOMINATE in international competition. Weird, huh?

[quote]alstan90 wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, I believe that is the point I made. Btw, you left off Kahn.

You make it sound like I was disparaging those guys - far from it. They are great players. I know it’s hard for some Europeans to accept that the U.S. has some world class players (I have this debate constantly with my co-workers who are mostly European), but whether or not you want to admit it, the U.S. has a stable of keepers that is on a par with any country, European or otherwise. In fact, we have some keepers playing in MLS that are unknown in Europe that could play abroad.

And I believe that the accolades of Keller, Friedel and Howard speak for themselves. And just so you know, Friedel has retired from the national squad and I would not be surprised if Howard is left off the WC roster. He had a total loss of confidence last year playing behind a weak ManU defense that allowed their keepers to get peppered routinely.

DB

[quote]stumpy wrote:
I think the world is lucky that soccer takes a back seat to virtually (sp?) all other team sports in the US. Cause ya’ll know what happens when the statue of liberty starts shaking her fist :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Lmao, that’s the American excuse whenever they lose.

It’s a good thing basketball takes a backseat to most sports in the US…oh wait it doesn’t, and they still lost at the Olympics. :slight_smile:

ManU weak defense?? What are you talking about man, Kasey Keller and Brad Friedel never played in front of such a good defense and they didn’t use that as an excuse for a loss of confidence. They finished second in the league.

Oh and to the guy who says the Czech Republic don’t have a better squad than the US, you have no clue at all what you are talking about. 1 maybe two Americans might make it onto the Czech first XI. Seriously go back and look at a list of names and repeat that statement.

The english media, well you’d think they have it in the bag already. Always inflating the own importance. Germany are the opposite, always downplaying their chances. Who wins more? The Germans certainly haven’t been any more talented throughout history.

My tip is the Dutch. THis isn’t the best Dutch squad seen for a while but for some reason I get the feeling they will quietly go about their business, come out of the toughest group in the competition by a stretch and go on to win. That said, its almot impossible to predict as any one of 7 or 8 teams could realistically win it, and theres always room for an upset.

[quote]stumpy wrote:
[/quote]

Not really, fact is the U.S doesn’t play ANY sport that the rest of the world does apart form Tennis. To show that your point is a load of BOLLOX. The EU has a smaller population than the U.S yet over 50 of the top 100 players in world tennis are ALL from the EU. Whereas only a pitiful 7 are from the U.S. Considering your population is larger than the EU this is pitiful. So your comment is blatantly a load of shit.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
alstan90 wrote:

Yeah, I believe that is the point I made. Btw, you left off Kahn.

You make it sound like I was disparaging those guys - far from it. They are great players. I know it’s hard for some Europeans to accept that the U.S. has some world class players (I have this debate constantly with my co-workers who are mostly European), but whether or not you want to admit it, the U.S. has a stable of keepers that is on a par with any country, European or otherwise. In fact, we have some keepers playing in MLS that are unknown in Europe that could play abroad.

And I believe that the accolades of Keller, Friedel and Howard speak for themselves. And just so you know, Friedel has retired from the national squad and I would not be surprised if Howard is left off the WC roster. He had a total loss of confidence last year playing behind a weak ManU defense that allowed their keepers to get peppered routinely.

DB[/quote]

I left Khan off because he was great but he isn’t anymore, his carrers coming to a sad end like that of Seaman and shilton. I thought about putting him on though.

[quote]Massif wrote:
I’m happy that most Australians were estatic with just making the world cup for a change, cause I think we are going to get our asses beat badly in our draw. Brazil, Croatia, Japan and us.

Our coach was trying to be positive when he described our chances of making the second round as “statistically possible”.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s fantastic to finally get into the finals and we have a tough group, however I think we can make it through. Actually getting into the finals has been a huge mental stumbling block in the past and now that we are through that drama I reckon the team has the belief in itself to actually play at such a high standard required to progress through.

Croatia are not as strong as in '98 when they got 3rd. I’m more worried about Japan, they have caused problems in the last few games we have played them and their speed against the bigger Aussie players could be a problem. Plus being the first World Cup game in 30 years for us means the boys will be feeling the pressure. However, Japan being away from their hometown support is going to help us, plus the Aussies mostly play in Europe anyway and are used to the conditions.

IF we can hold Brazil to a draw it will make a big difference to our chances.

However the main thing I am really annoyed about is not being able to play England unless we get the final (almost impossible). Forget the Rugby World Cup in 2003, forget the cricket Ashes test series this year, if we could beat England in the World Cup then Aussies will have the bragging rights for years to come, this would have been the event that REALLY hurt England’s pride if Australia won, and would never be able to live down.

Oh well, we might have to settle for possibly the US in the second round, we have a score to settle with their coach after his comments last week.

Cheers,
Ben