T Nation

2006 F1 Season

I was glad to hear Fernando Alonso say that the best defense is to attack this year, because I was quite annoyed last season when he led in points and drove safe…

It was quite enjoyable to watch him run away with the win at Silverstone…But I think he fcuked up by selling his soul to McLaren?

Anywho, as a Lexus enthusiast, I was intrigued by this news:

[quote]xjayx300 wrote:
I was glad to hear Fernando Alonso say that the best defense is to attack this year, because I was quite annoyed last season when he led in points and drove safe…

It was quite enjoyable to watch him run away with the win at Silverstone…But I think he fcuked up by selling his soul to McLaren?

Anywho, as a Lexus enthusiast, I was intrigued by this news:

Lexus to race in F1 in 2007
Despite massive investment, Toyota?s Formula 1 efforts have so far failed to yield significant results. This could all be about to change as Toyota is to supply a second team with its powerful and reliable 2.4 liter V8 in 2007. The new team is Williams, which is no stranger to Formula 1 success having powered a succession of Grand Prix greats to championship victories. The breaking news is that the engines will be badged Lexus.

The deal is understood to be only for engine supply, not full sponsorship. Frank Williams, the team owner and principal, has, however, signed a new title sponsor: Philips, which will bring the financial muscle the team needs to get back into contention.

One of the most consistently successful teams of the F1 grid, Williams has notched-up a string of constructor titles as well as driver championships for a succession of legendary drivers including Alan Jones, Keke Rosberg, Nelson Piquet, Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve.

After BMW split from Williams to set up its own team for 2006 with Sauber, Williams was left without a major engine manufacturer supplier. But, after what initially appeared as if it would be a lean year for the veteran F1 team, the boys from Grove are still in the groove and presently lying 6th in the Constructors? standings ? behind Sauber and Toyota arch-rival Honda. Meanwhile, Toyota?s own team is languishing in 8th place ? an unimpressive position given it has the largest budget in F1 and two excellent drivers.

The Lexus engine deal with Williams will certainly put pressure on Toyota?s own team to raise its game. But if Williams start achieving the kind of results Toyota bosses want, full team sponsorship for Williams-Lexus is likely to follow.

Expect an official announcement around June 25, at the Canadian Grand Prix. So far, there?s no word on Williams 2007 driver line-up.
[/quote]

I personally cannot stand Alonso and I am glad he sold his soul. Maybe now that he drives a below par car people will see that he really isn’t that great. Put Kimi in the Renault and he will clean house unless the Ferrari’s are up to par then we will see one hell of a battle for 1st.

As for Lexus coming into F1 I think it’s cool. Im quite surprised being that Toyota already spent some huge money and is still waiting on good results.

TR

Why Alonzo is going to McLaren is beyond me. It’s obvious Renault has the best performance right now, even Fisichella is fast every week. To say McLaren has reliability issues would be an understatement.

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:
Why Alonzo is going to McLaren is beyond me. It’s obvious Renault has the best performance right now, even Fisichella is fast every week. To say McLaren has reliability issues would be an understatement.[/quote]

if you had alonso’s godzilla-sized ego, you’d think you were king midas too.

Alonso is going to run away with the championship, I don’t see how Schumacher can possibly catch him. I prefer MotoGP to F1 racing anyway. Hope Valentino Rossi can turn things around this season and come back to win the championship. The kid is just magical on 2 wheels.