T Nation

2005 WSM Pics

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/7/8/781096.1128938323558.gallery_1_31_29626[1].jpg

I am a big fan of Mariusz Pudzianowski, and I knew he was in good shape, but these pics leave me speechless. Obviously Mariusz Pudzianowski is a freak, but in strongman, does extra muscle mass serve a purpose? Or is being good at the events enough?
Thanks
Will42

Freak isn’t the word for it.

I remember watching him the first year he did WSM, and he had just served a 2 year sentence for drink driving (if I remember rightly), and was completely new to strongman. He looked pretty impressive then. Fast forward a year and he looked about 25% bigger and leaner than any WSM competitor I had ever seen.

Amazing stuff.

Well, its not just “being good at the events”, but being good at the “race” style events that WSM has these days.

They were no max effort events at all this year. Marius P. is excellent at any type of “race” style event, but in max effort events he can not compete with the big boys. You replace some of the race events with max 3 or 4 max effort events and Marius will lose the comp.

I guess WSM believes that the average veiwer can not comprehend that a max effort squat, deadlift, or overhead press is fun to watch. So, as long as WSM continues to be veiwer friendly Marius will dominate a more strength endurance based event.

Tangential question #1:

Do strongmen always comptete without shirts?

Tangential question #2:

Wasn’t T-Nation’s own Brad Cardoza competing in this event? How’d he do?

[quote]Miserere wrote:

Wasn’t T-Nation’s own Brad Cardoza competing in this event? How’d he do?[/quote]

No, I think he’s competing in the Worlds in China

I guess there are two associations now. And they’re both competing in China this year (I think)

Look at JP Sigmarsson and Kaz. These 2 were legends, yet they did not look like they just had Micky’s.

beef

What were the events of this contest?

beef

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Tangential question #1:

Do strongmen always comptete without shirts?
[/quote]

Often on the stones, shirts can get caught up with the stone while you’re rolling it up your chest. And it gets pretty hot when you’re a larger land mammal.

[quote]
Tangential question #2:

Wasn’t T-Nation’s own Brad Cardoza competing in this event? How’d he do?[/quote]

Brad’s a lightweight pro, not a heavyweight. He’s bull strong, but I think he’d be the first to admit he’d be giving up a fair bit of ground weighing 100lbs less than some of these guys.

-Dan

All these questions and more can be answered on the Power and Bulk board, click on the Beer Tent and Keg Tossing forum. One of the guys who made it to the finals posted an update thread while it was going on.

-Dan

On the other thread it talks about updates and mentions squat/deadlift contest.

[quote]Viking69 wrote:
Well, its not just “being good at the events”, but being good at the “race” style events that WSM has these days.

They were no max effort events at all this year. Marius P. is excellent at any type of “race” style event, but in max effort events he can not compete with the big boys. You replace some of the race events with max 3 or 4 max effort events and Marius will lose the comp.

I guess WSM believes that the average veiwer can not comprehend that a max effort squat, deadlift, or overhead press is fun to watch. So, as long as WSM continues to be veiwer friendly Marius will dominate a more strength endurance based event.

[/quote]

Mariusz won back in '02 and '03 and they had more static strength events then.

Also, he won the barrel squat this year, which is a static strength event.

I don’t understand people’s problem with certain disciplines that require you to move your feet. This isn’t powerlifting folks. A cool thing about strongman is that the athletes are typically very strong in static strength events yet can also still run circles around you and have endurance.

Do you consider stones to be a “moving” event that favors athletes with “endurance”? Because I don’t, and Mariusz dominates in stones.

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Look at JP Sigmarsson and Kaz. These 2 were legends, yet they did not look like they just had Micky’s.

beef[/quote]

I think this picture of Kaz shows the perfect physique. His musculature is evenly distributed and he is massive all over. I think this physique topples any bodybuilder (my opinion).

From the pictures I saw from the stones this year, it wasn’t a lift and run event, but more of a lift the heavy stone on to the platform.
Will42

im a huge fan of Mariusz Pudzianowski myself maybe its because im polish:) But also a huge fan of KAZ. I met kaz at PHX airport when he was on his way back from vegas one year around the time of the MR. Olympia. Tv never does these guys justice seeing them in person is well incredible to say the least. Can only imagine how impressive PUDZ looks in person.

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:

beef[/quote]

Cool pic! Sigmarsson is by far my all time favourite WSM competitor.

when are they gonna show it on t.v. :frowning:

My brother and I walked into a nutrition store one morning and who did we see??? It was Mariusz!! On tv he reminded me of a mighty mouse type guy because he was so much shorter than the other guys. But in person he was about as tall as us (6 feet). His upper arms were gigantic though… Biggest i’ve ever seen in person. And as we were walking through the store and staring at him, all he was doing was flexing his chest to make his titties bounce up and down!!!

competed with pudz in south africa and china (both in '00). Definitely an animal. Kaz is actually from a diferent planet i think-have some GREAT stories to tell…

[quote]Viking69 wrote:

[/quote]

Fucking TV shows, attempting to deliver what viewers WANT to see. I love powerlifting, but have you EVER seen a powerlifting comp on TV? Powerlifting is boring as shit to watch. And there were still plently of static strength based exercises.

It would be one thing if you were complaining that the sport of Strongest Man was incorporating more events that you did not like. But no (and even then you’d still be a douchebag). You are complaining that the WSM, which you have almost no chance of EVER competing in, offers events that cater to its audience (mostly non powerlifters) rather than you.

And like another poster said, Marius has won plenty of strength based exercises, off the top of my head I know he won the 2003 deadlift comp and the 2004 safe lift.