2004 Olympics Clean and Jerk

[quote]shizen wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
shizen wrote:
lol almost everyone on this site has known about reza for a long time. He is just a strength/power freak, one of the best ever look for him to win this year also if he is healthy.

Well you should feel special for spending so much time on a forum. I’ll send the cookie in the mail. ; )

I am not a huge PW fan, but I have seen a couple of live meets, and a few YT video’s, but nothing like this guy. WOW, again.

you don’t have to spend time on the forum to know that guy, if you have been lifting for much at all you will know the big names in the sport. [/quote]

Guy? Like I mentioned not into PL or OL. Couldn’t name you more than three guys in either sport. Though my wife’s uncle still competes at over 50 (PL). He won a DL contest and guess I was inspired, and came across this guy.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
Look up a guy named Pyrros Dimas. I hear he’s an up-and-coming talent. He could be huge some day![/quote]

Oh yeah, that’s tht Greek POWERLIFTER, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
Dang dude u killed it with the title “Olympic Powerlifting”. ouch

[/quote]

Oops. Yea I do know the difference, not sure what I was thinking. Edited.

[quote]Shammy wrote:
Always impressed by Rezazadeh’s performances.

However I am always flat out leveled by the performance of the smaller weight classes.

I like to judge the awesomeness of an Olympic lifter by his Total divided by his Body weight.

Rez’s Olympic ratio: (472.5kg / 156.6kg) = 3.02

Compared to the Gold Medalist of the 77kg weight class Tener Sagir

Sagir’s Olympic ratio: (375/77) = 4.87

So pound for pound you get diminishing returns on lift numbers as you go up in weight. Which athlete is called “Strongest man in the world” Rezazadeh obviously, but which am I more impressed with? Sagir.

Just some food for thought.[/quote]

Hmm. Interesting. I will check him out.

[quote]SquatDr wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
Wow. I don’t thing I have ever seen anyone do this lift as smoothly as this guy, and with as much weight. Amazing.

everytime i see that video i am just amazed. i know strong guys that cant deadlift that much, and he just picks it up and front squats it up like nothing. i have always been curious as to what reza can max clean because its evident that he had much more in the tank for the clean.

AC

[/quote]

Yea really, there could have been at least another 50 pounds on the bar before it would even appear he was trying.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:

Thanks for the vid.[/quote]

ND

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
A little late…about 4 years. I look forward to watching your 2008 Beijing Olympic Powerlifting videos in 2012. [/quote]

Yes, I’ll keep you posted right here on T, stay tuned.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Cut him some slack. He is probably from Texas and calls all soda “Coke”.[/quote]

What the hell is ‘soda’?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
NeoSpartan wrote:
Dang dude u killed it with the title “Olympic Powerlifting”. ouch

Cut him some slack. He is probably from Texas and calls all soda “Coke”.[/quote]

LOL. Not from Texas but at least I don’t call it pop.

Aw, man!
He made it look almost elegant!

But I do agree with Shammy, regarding ratios.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
superscience wrote:
Rezazadeh has the ability to clean and jerk 280kg he just needs to master the technique. His jerk is more like a push press.

Aren’t you the same “genius” who argued for 20 pages that if Rezazadeh lost weight he would be stronger?[/quote]

Gravity and biomechanics.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
superscience wrote:
Rezazadeh has the ability to clean and jerk 280kg he just needs to master the technique. His jerk is more like a push press.

Lol where are your Olympic medals?[/quote]

You disagree?

[quote]superscience wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
superscience wrote:

Aren’t you the same “genius” who argued for 20 pages that if Rezazadeh lost weight he would be stronger?

Gravity and biomechanics. [/quote]

[quote]Shammy wrote:
Always impressed by Rezazadeh’s performances.

However I am always flat out leveled by the performance of the smaller weight classes.

I like to judge the awesomeness of an Olympic lifter by his Total divided by his Body weight.

Rez’s Olympic ratio: (472.5kg / 156.6kg) = 3.02

Compared to the Gold Medalist of the 77kg weight class Tener Sagir

Sagir’s Olympic ratio: (375/77) = 4.87

So pound for pound you get diminishing returns on lift numbers as you go up in weight. Which athlete is called “Strongest man in the world” Rezazadeh obviously, but which am I more impressed with? Sagir.

Just some food for thought.[/quote]

I think more often than not the term “pound for pound” is over-rated. Lighter class strength athletes lifting more over their bodyweight compared to the heavier weight classes tends to be the norm.

Yeah but would you rather look like Rez? Or a world class 77kg?

[quote]Shammy wrote:
Yeah but would you rather look like Rez? Or a world class 77kg?[/quote]

I’d rather look like a bodybuilder

Heavier athletes are at a similar level as the lighter ones, studies show that their limb angular velocity is as fast as the shorter and lighter athletes. Heavier athletes have to overcome their longer limbs, greater distance and heavier bodyweight also.

For example a 150kg athlete would have to lift his own body weight and the weight of the bar, athletes at around 70kg have less than half bodyweight to lift.

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/news/nv006.html

An article for anyone interested in the science behind weight class differences.

Rezazadeh still needs another 3kgs to beat Taranenkos old record: Taranenko 265.5 Clean & Jerk - YouTube

[quote]Shammy wrote:
Yeah but would you rather look like Rez? Or a world class 77kg?[/quote]

The body of Sagir but the pretty face of Rezazadeh

Not only can he lift, but he can dance:

Yes, this was posted before, but for those who aren’t familiar with him, this will be new.