2003 Worlds Strongest Man

Stubob, by “professional strongmen,” that basically just means that they are no longer in the amateur ranks or allowed to compete at that level. I would guess that only a small percentage of pro strongmen live on their winnings exclusively.

I’m much more familiar with the American competitors from a couple of years back when I met a lot of them, but for example: Phil Pfister is a fireman, Brian Schoonveld I believe is a construction worker, Chad Coy owns the Powerhouse Gym in Kokomo,Indiana, Brian Neese owns a company that actually makes equipment for strongman competitions, etc. Even the guy that wins the entire WSM competition only wins a little over 30k. These are guys that not only bust their asses training and competing, most of them also have careers back home.

Yeh the WSM was pretty much a one horse race. Mariusz is awesome. Reminds me of Jouka Aloha, small and explosive and lean for a strongman. Very strong guy and a 4th Kyu Karateka and a decent amateur boxer, scary.

Anyone know whats’ happened to the finns? They were dominant for a while. I know Jouko Aloha retired due to ‘health’ reasons (one too many nose-bleeds) and to pursue a film career but what about Janne Virtanen?

Brits are useless again. We haven’t won it since Gary Taylor in 93. But then the US hasn’t won it since Bill Kazmier in 82.

Man the guy who won is fricking built. His physique and strength blow everyone else out of the water.

They posted the winnings last night during the WSM reruns on espn and 1st place gets $34k, and either 2nd or 3rd get $11k

Thought this years WSM was pretty good, mariusz deserved to win it, he’s by far the best in the field and i reckon he’ll dominate for a while yet. Some of the guy’s competing were professional strongmen, at least according to the stats aired here in the UK, think they said Girard was one, some of the europeans are pro’s, apparently theres a pretty big pro circuit in europe from what the commentator was saying so i guess it is possible to make a living from.

Was watching the semi finals the other day and There was an American that died. Anyone know what happened to him? It was held in Malayasia.

Errr Malaysia was WSM 2002 (Kuala Lumpur) and I think he was buried.

!!!

I think the guy who died was named Johnny Perry. If I remember, he died of a heart attack. I think he was 29. There was a guy I remeber named Whit Baskin who was only 23 and competing in the WSM. He was from Oklahoma and looked to have a ton of potential but I think he got in a car wreck or something and got sidelined.

It was Johnny Perry. I believe he had a heart attack. he was an extremely large human being. There is a powerlifting meet named in his honor.

Perry was like 6’0 and 375lbs. A true animal. I would be scared if I was that big, taking my body to the max in the events, plus the anabolic help these guys take. Was not sure if it was his heart, thought it was a car accident. Must have been confused with Baskin.

Where is Mark Henry when you need him!
JackAss

Someone PLEASE tell me who won th WSW! i got to watch the finals for the men, but i can’t find out who won in the womens-was it heini? jill apparently decided to retire last year. nothing on the anvil, wsm site went down over a year ago, and no one i know can tell me. very upset about missing it.

In the World’s the girls kick ass! they do as much or more than some of the amateur men in the lighter contests! Farmer’s walks with 145 IN EACH HAND-try this sometime guys. i have done contests having to run with 280 each-145’s still get me out of breath! the coolest thing is that while many of the women had “help” and look a little masculine, Heini (finland) manages to waste her competitors, at a bw of about 150-looking Very feminine, no real size to speak of-but makes the events look easy.

WSW results

1. Aneta Florczyk (Polen) (51 ptn), 2. Anna Rosen (Zweden) (47 ptn), 3. Heini Koivuniemi (Finland) (39 ptn), 4. Julie Dunkley (Engeland) (35 ptn), 5. Liane Blyn (USA) (25,5 ptn), 6. Jackie Young (Scotland) (24,5 ptn), 7. Jos?e Morneau (Canada) (15,5 ptn) en 8. Jennifer Aylward (USA) (12,5 ptn).

jill mills decided not to defend her title? what’s she doin these days?

I saw WSM and it was awesome.

THe WSW was also amazing. The winner was obviously the badass from the squat. I think she squated 540 for 18 reps in the Squat for reps event. I particularly remember this one moment during the log press (she cleared all of the logs) and did it using an oly clean and split jerk. Totally awesome.

The 3rd place winner Heini Something is amazingly gorgeous. Shes dating this one Polish guy highlighted in the 2002 WSM. Luck dude.

Heini got introduced to strongman events through Jouko Aloha and is a former Miss Galaxy winner.

Johnny Perry, WSM competitior from S.C., died a year or so ago from a Ketamine overdose. Anabolics are one thing, but like most pro BBer’s, these guys end up taking plenty of “rec drugs”. The body can only take so much. Shame too, he had a bright future in the WSM competitions.

Hrmmm… I know that he died and it was suspected that there was a link to steroid use… and other mitigating factors. Could you please provide a reference to the mention of ketamine and his death for the rest of us?

That is a foolish question. We both know there is no specific reference available. Like everything else in this sport, there is a “veil” covering all. Let’s just say that I have NO agenda on this matter one way or the other. I was merely passing on this info told to me by someone, let’s say, “close to the situation”. Believe what you wish.

I can believe that it was a rec overdose. Its true the body can only take so much. I think he would have been even better if he was around 330lbs. If you look at the majority of the leading guys the are fairly lean, quick, and explosive.