2003 MR OLYMPIA

Right side up: Flex magazine online listed him at 287. He looked it.

does anyone know his measurements, like chest/waist/neck/calves/arms etc?

After I get over the initial amazement about their freakish size, I start to get all sick looking at the tans those guys have. All splotchy and nasty, they look like they’re about to die from a flesh-eating virus or something

did somebody use the word “sport” when describing bodybuilding?
that’s funny.

I had the chance to actually look at all the pics today more closely, and I have no idea what I was thinking yesterday. Jay really was off wasn’t he? Especially in chest thickness and the fact that he REALLY smoothed out between pre-judging and the show. His glutes/hams/low back all got really smooth. I can’t believe Ronnie can do a friggin split while being that huge. I bet he still can’t wipe his ass though. I know that Flex usually pumps up the bodyweights a little, but I’d say that Ronnie definitely put on a few pounds. 287?! Holy #%$&.

Josh - his hair or his body? :slight_smile: Most likely both. Mullet + poor condition = Joe Dirt II starring role.

I agree with the statements of many that Ronnie has taken his body to a new level of development unseen (or even imagined possible) up to date. He HAS set the new standard in bodybuilding in much the same way Yates did 10 years ago. It makes me wonder what we will see in another 10 years!

I think it is fine that many people here don’t like the “look” of most current bodybuilders but to put them down is unnecessary. This probably isn’t the best place to be defending bodybuilders but I think that anyone that can excel at what they do deserve respect if not admiration.

Plook: you don’t think Ronnie could walk up a flight of stairs? I bet he could do it with 500lbs across his back! He can do deep walking lunges with over 300 lbs. His muscles certainly aren’t just for show; if you’d seen his training video you would realize the unbelievable strength of the man. He uses poundages that approach powerlifter figures.

Bob A: like your post.

Dougy: that’s not a “tan”, you’re seein’ the skin coloring that is slapped on. Granted, this is considered to be the PRIMO bb’ing show and these guys should be professional enough to know how to apply that skin color correctly. What you see is a result of laziness.

Thanks BobA for your post. And Patricia…your point is well made also.
I was surprised at Dougy’s remarks considering this is a “bodybuilding/physique enhancement” website.
I know there is an undercurrent of disdain of bodybuilders and pro’s in particular on this here website. I am not quite sure if its jealousy…envy or exactly where the hostility comes from. Its not natural to be as big as Ronnie and the other guys…and neither is going 200 mph in a race car…doing circles around a racetrack then crashing and dying…like what happened recently in the pro race car circuit.
The accusation…although true…of drug use…coming from members of this site smacks of hypocrisy. Part of the substance of this here website is steroid related. A host of the authors of the articles here have experiemented with them steeeroids also!

Bottom line: if pics of the pros offend you…don’t look at them!!!..what a concept! Amazing…

Jeez! That photo of Ronnie on stage looks like it was drawn by a cartoonist! Do any of you remember that goofy cartoon that used to be in Muscle Media 2000? With the gigantic guys with little bee-bee heads? Ronnie looks just like them now, only maybe a little bigger and a bit more cut.

I met Ronnie about 6 years ago in Miami, and we did a “mock pose-down” for some photographers (it was a joke). I was able to literally hide my entire head behind his flexed arm! Those guys look amazing and freaky on stage, but get them away from other freaks and you begin to realize just how massive they really are. Ronnie is only about 5’10", and when I met him he was off season pushing 300. At 200 pounds (and (at the time under 10% bf) I have always considered myself pretty athletic and muscular, but this guy outweighed me by 100 pounds, and even off season was probably leaner than I.

I’ll tell you who was scary was his agent/“girl” friend, a competitive bodybuilder "her"self. She literally looked like a huge, muscular, ripped man (and sounded like one), with balloons placed under “her” skin. Come to think of it, “she” probably has a bigger package than most guys! EWWW!

Pete, back to the old “bodybuilding-really-is-a-sport” again I see. Well, I can say that on one level I admire the drive it takes to look like that, but I would be lying. I think those guys are seriously INSANE! I have seen pictures of you, and I consider you to have ten times the physique of one of those monstrosities! Put you in street clothes and you simply look very athletic (but still human). Then you get to go to the beach, rip off the shirt and put us all to shame. Ronnie simply can’t wear normal clothes. He needs military issue tents, and I think he may have even outgrown those! I truly hope you don’t desire or aspire to look like that, because you will have to become a walking pharmacy to achieve it.

I wonder if RC will live to see 50. Who cares if that look CAN be achieved. The bigger question should be WHY would anyone want that?

ptdr, the reason people talk crap about them is because they look like total idiots…

Don’t get me wrong, Ronnie has taken it to a new level and those traps amaze me, its the spray-on tans they have that are gross. Like Patricia said, these guys are pros and they can’t put on a good tan for the main event? One dude had black abs, and the rest of him was all patchy, didn’t look good at all.

hahahahahaha lol!
seriously, what a monkey.

for those of us who know nothing about bodybuilding…What is prejudging?

beetle juice, beetle juice, beetle juice…

i don’t think i was putting these guys down, it is just that they seem to be excelling in one area of bodybuilding (mass and definition) at the extreme expense of other areas (balance, proportion and asthetics). it seems all it is about today is getting as big and ripped as possible. that may seem like a really obvious and dumb comment to some people. I just admire the physiques of guys like arnold, zane, sergio, and haney. it seems that many times when they competed that they sacrificed size so that they could maintain proportion. I don’t question ronnies strength or work ethic in that monitoring his drug use must take more time than my entire workout. it seems bodybuilding has turned into a total freak show, look at that last picture, that guy doesn’t look normal. he looks like a monster, what person would want to look like that. these guys seem like reverse anorexics. it seriously looks like they must have psychological diseases to want to look that big. the mr olympia is now about a decade into being completely out of hand. Comparing arnold to coleman would be like comparing michangelo’s david to the worlds largest block of stone, just cause the stone is bigger doesn’t make it better. I am sorry if I am getting this thing completely wrong, but these guys are sick looking. Unfortunately I wonder which one will die first.

jpfitness…your point is well taken. Someone Ronnie’s size is an extreme for sure. Some of the other guys aren’t that crazy big though. I remember sitting in a Bally’s total fitness personal training office back in 1996 with a friend of mine who was very tight with Troy Alves. At that time…Troy as about to take the Arizona Championships and qualify for the nationals again. I was actually explaining to Troy the best way to use insulin and how to avoid any kind of negative effect from using it. Troy was probably twenty pounds lighter then than now …about 198 cut…but he still looked like a jacked/beefed up track runner. Very aesthetic. Not all of the guys have gone overboard in other words…in terms of freakiness…the way Ronnie has been able to do…again because of unbelieveable genetics! Remember…all these guys are using the same gear…the same stuff the guys on this websites steroid forum use.

Pro sport taken to the extremes…from Nascar…to football…to bodybuilding…is about riding the crest of the envelope.

Keiran…would you have the balls to call Jay Cutler a monkey to his face?..right there at the Olympia??

Its easy to talk big behind a color monitor and while you clack away on your keyboard…

I agree that these guys are definitely in the freak zone, and I most certainly would not want to look like a side-show exhibit. However, I still marvel at how insanely huge modern training, nutrition and massive amounts of pharmaceuticals can make someone who has superhuman genetics to begin with. I mean truthfully—did anyone here who saw Haney or Dorian in their prime honestly imagine that a guy could get any bigger? Ronnie sure as hell has. It’s a freak show to be sure—but it’s cool to watch.

Is it possible to purchase a video of the event online or otherwise?