$200 Glute-Ham Raise Brand New?

Hey,

I found a glute-ham raise for $200 that includes shipping. The model is Yukon HYP-156 Hyper Extension. It looks like it’s built solid and comparable to the model I used at the university gym. This is one of the few missing pieces of my home gym and I’m not going to be buying an $800 model from elitefts so my question is does anybody really see any downfall to the model of this piece of equipment .

It looks exactly like the model I used by York or New York BB that really made my hams scream so I don’t really by the pad makes the $600 difference sales pitch, unless your $million sports contract comes down to a 1/4 sec 40 yd dash than I’d spare no dollars, but $600 is chump change to a pro athlete anyways…I’m just a home gym guy.

if it works for you buy it. but the foot plate is too small imo, her toes are hanging all the way off in that pic. and i’ve read about problems with the yukon breaking

From what I’ve heard the pads fall apart, and you need to build a bigger foot plate for it.

I have that same exact model. Works fine and I have had no problems with it yet (had it for a year now). Although, I did have to make the foot plate bigger.

Ok, well it sounds like it’s been checked out…how did you make the foot plate bigger? Any other respectable models that aren’t so expensive as elite?

Pad angle’s different than the EliteFTS models. Tate says it’s makes the difference but I’ve never used any GHR so I couldn’t tell ya

I’ve used this model primarily for hyperextensions for several years now and it works just fine. The pads have no sign of wear or movement and I regularly do hypers with 100 pounds on my back.

I have tried doing glute-ham raises on it and the footpad may be an issue for you (it was for me). A bigger footpad might be helpful.

I also have the reverse hyper they sell and it also has been working fine for well over a year (There is an old thread discussing it if you do a search).

gdm

[quote]AssClown wrote:
Pad angle’s different than the EliteFTS models. Tate says it’s makes the difference but I’ve never used any GHR so I couldn’t tell ya[/quote]

No disrespect to Dave, but he’s in business to sell them. And he’s doing a DAMN good job at it. So obviously he’s gonna be pushing his own line.

I’m still sceptical about the absolute need for a GHR tho. I know far too many people who’ve got brutally strong without to make me think it’s the last word in PC training.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
AssClown wrote:
Pad angle’s different than the EliteFTS models. Tate says it’s makes the difference but I’ve never used any GHR so I couldn’t tell ya

No disrespect to Dave, but he’s in business to sell them. And he’s doing a DAMN good job at it. So obviously he’s gonna be pushing his own line. [/quote]

to me this is really a chicken and an egg question. Is he pushing it because it’s his line, or did he decide to have this particular glute ham made because he saw a need in the market (ie a need for GHRs that aren’t crap)? To me, there is a big difference between the two.

I’ve never used one and have been able to strengthen my PC, but I do know plenty of strong guys who have used it who said it really got them over a plateau. If the shoe were on the other foot, and the OP had asked something like “i’ve always done GHRs for my hammies, but now I’m thinking about adding RDLs, is this a good idea?” we all would’ve replied, ‘of course.’

Bottom line, if the OP has the money to spend, and if his PC training has stagnated, then get a GHR … but not this one it looks like a p.o.s.

[quote]Shaggs wrote:
Ok, well it sounds like it’s been checked out…how did you make the foot plate bigger? Any other respectable models that aren’t so expensive as elite?[/quote]

If you didn’t know how to weld, I could picture lengthening it with some wood bolted together over the piece of metal.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
Pad angle’s different than the EliteFTS models. Tate says it’s makes the difference but I’ve never used any GHR so I couldn’t tell ya[/quote]

If you change your foot angle, couldn’t you make it more difficult even if the pad angle remained constant?

[quote]Shaggs wrote:
Ok, well it sounds like it’s been checked out…how did you make the foot plate bigger? Any other respectable models that aren’t so expensive as elite?[/quote]

I used a piece of board and made a 2x2 hole in the center then bolted to another piece of board on the other side. Ghetto but it gets the job done. Kills my hamstrings.