20 Yr Old. Just Started Lifting Seriously

I can’t understand why people post here when they just started a month ago like you. I started training about a year ago, EVERYONE noticed the change and I went from 150 to 170 at 5’7, but not even near posting my picture here. I took pictures, I’m honestly proud of my progress but it’s nothing that would be worth showing on the Internet, YET.

You have nice arms, but since you have trained for such a short time, I’m assuming you were born with them, just like I was born with big calves and arms.

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys.

im using Mike Mahler’s Combination Training article http://www.T-Nation.com/article/most_recent/combination_training_8212_for_the_best_of_both_worlds

I think that by mixing it up and trying different training methods at first will make it easier for me to see which methods work best for me. Then i’ll go and switch my program up.

Yea i feel i my pecs are definetly in need of some work. I’ll have a search for touch training and perhaps put in an extra session to work my pecs.

To CPerfringens: I think newbies like me post here cause they want some advice from experienced lifters. You guys have been through this beginning stage and can best inform us on what to improve and where we’re going wrong.

For example, I use to think I had to cut, as i thought by reducing the small amount of belly fat my abs would show. But thanks to peoples advice, reading other posts etc, ive realised at my BF % i should be bulking instead, and that increase body weight does not equal to added body fat

Well, you’re deadlifting. So you’re on the right path.

[quote]Poacher1632 wrote:
Nice arms and thats about it…[/quote]

Yeah, those 11 inchers will get you every time.

At this stage of your training career, I don’t see much sense in talking about “lagging body parts”. Don’t take this as a flame, but your whole body is “lagging”.

I’d stick to a balanced program of heavy lifting, plenty of food and sleep and concentrate on gaining muscle mass all over. Once your frame fills out, perceived “imbalances” in your development often will disappear by themselves.

If you still want to put a special focus on bringing up your chest, incorporate a few sets of exercises like incline dumbbell presses or Gironda dips. I wouldn’t waste much thought and effort on specific body parts, though, when overall development should be your priority.

Ok bro firstly check out the beginner’s forum for really good advice: a strong foundation yields excellent growth. You need to focus on total body workouts like michael2507says, with a strong emphasis on compound movements like the squat, deadlift and powerclean. incorporate those exercises into a regimen that allows you to hit every muscle in your body. If you focus too soon, you promote muscle imbalance even further like those dudes in the gym that slouch forward because their arms are overdeveloped and attached to a shitty torso.

Functional training is also a good thing to ponder. You use more of your body’s muscles to perform proper shoulder press standing up as opposed to sitting for example, use lots of free weights and keep up with the calisthenics. Single Muscle specific exercises should be incorporated as you progress over the next couple of months.

Take it easy and know its a long road with good benefits. Keep the faith bro

[quote]AquilaV wrote:
You need to focus on total body workouts like michael2507says, with a strong emphasis on compound movements like the squat, deadlift and powerclean.
[/quote]
To clarify: I did not necessarily recommend full body workout, although that is an option of course. My post was more about gaining mass all over, be it with a body part split, an upper/lower split, a push/pull split or full body workouts.

I definitely second the emphasis on compound exercises, though.

[quote]lamach wrote:
so anything wrong with my ratio of 40%p 30%c and 30%f for my build?[/quote]

Yes, the problem is that you are actually worrying about something like this when you shouldn’t be. Just eat your momma’s cooking and have some snacks in between.

Sweet, take my advice.

Quit.

Why would i quit?

I agree with alot of these posts here. You really should focus more on eating and lifting heavy (good form and without hurting yourself). I think you have very good progress for just a month and I can’t wait to see your further progression. Just take the critcism with open arms and don’t get discouraged if someone says you should quit. These next few months are going to put you through a total physique change entirely. So put on a good 80’s movie like Bloodsport or Rocky 3 or 4 and let the inspiration guide you.