20 Year Old, Feeling Suicidal

What exactly were low? Your testosterone is still within normal range

This is awesome advices ! You said it and I think that’s the thing that helped me the most to overcome depression ; trying to be better and starting to love myself back again . Don’t give up you are not alone !

1 Like

My testosterone is only 350 ng/dl at its peak (morning time) which means it probably goes down to low 200’s during the day from what I understand. I am technically within lab normal ranges but I do believe that I am very low for a 20 year old I should be somewhere in the 650-1000 range

650-1000 is the upper echelon with 650 being the mean. So technically there would be a lot of people under 650. It is like an IQ distribution; the mean is 100 and a lot of people are under 100 but you aren’t categorized as someone with intellectual disability if you don’t have an IQ below 70.

I am 22 years old and my result is not far off from yours. I just got my blood test and my testosterone level was 410 ng/dl. The blood was taken at 3:00 pm but I doubt it makes a big difference. I suggest discussing to your family first whether you would better off with TRT or not. But what ever you decide to do I wish you the best man.

Getting your blood drawn at 3 p.m. makes a huge difference, even at 12 noon you’ll be lower than when you start in the morning. Get your blood drawn before 9 a.m. to get a more accurate labs.

1 Like

I didn’t read all the replies but wanted to point something important. SSRIs increase serotonin so they make it difficult for dopamine to be absorbed. That’s how they result in sexual dysfunction. For a man dopamine is more important than serotonin. The latter is affected by estrogen while the former by testosterone. You can try a medicine that affects dopamine like Wellbutrine or even modafinil. You can tale L-Tyrosine too which is a precursor of dopamine.

Can I transition these medications with brintellix? I’m not sure if it’s a good idea if I make a sudden stop with my current meds. So do I just add it on or wait till I get off my current medication?

I don’t know. Talk to your doctor about it.

So how are you?

1 Like

You seriously should seek out drs advice. Life is a precious thing! Psychiatrist etc. all I can say is it’s self-righteous and permanent. Been suicidal myself before but I was a dumb ass and thankful I didn’t or else I wouldn’t have realized my potential. It’s easy to focus on struggles and negativity but focus on one day at a time and SEE a dr! GOod luck

2 Likes

i’m so frustrated with doctors, i’ve taken six blood tests so far and all point to low testosterone and thyroid problems. I’m furious because all doctors want to do is make me spend more money at no end without solving the problem. I understand that they want to find the root of the problem but they don’t understand that at any moment I may decide to start actually giving in to my fucked up thoughts.
New blood test results:
L.H: 2.10 IU/L (no reference for this? but doctor noted it was low)
Prolactin: 339.20 miu/ml (norm = 86-324)
Total Testosterone: 1.26 ng/ml (norm = 2.84-8.0)
FT4: 20.21 pmol/L (12.0-22.0)
TT4: 113.7 nmol/L (66.0-181.0)
TSH: 5.63 uI/ml (0.27-4.20)
FSH 3.98 IU/L (1.5-12.4)

New symptoms:
uncomftrobale twitchy sensation in hands, fingers,and neck
very dry skin
problems with my digestive symptoms and constant belching
unbearable discomfort and irratability
mood swings and feeling very emotional (almost like a girl on her period 24/7).
Also i’m almost 100% sure that all my depression stems from being too anxious to leave
my house and interact with others like I used to be able to in the past with ease.
I’ve come to the conclusion that if it’s not my thyroid and low t causing all these problems
then I have no idea what it could be. I’ve tried to go to a therapist but I just realized that I’m very depressed for no reason which makes it useless because I have nothing to talk about.

You need to find a good doc that will treat you ! Unfortunately I’m not the one who can help you with this since i’m from montreal but others here can help you. I’ve been throught this and I just begin to see the light. You will make it too don’t worry!

1 Like

Thanks, i’ve actually just got in touch with a good doctor and he told me he’s going to put me on HCG instead of testosterone, will this boost my T levels just as effectively?

It should. Need to keep your estrogen in check by taking the estradiol sensitive lab.
If you dont keep it in check you l, estrogen caused emotional rollercoaster which you don’t need. And yes low t and thyroid will def cause depression and anxiety.

You can fix this👍

With all these sides I would def see a new doc and switch up meds ASAP. Have you been given citalopram /celexa yet?

1 Like

You have testosterone levels of a 85 Year old man, that is NOT normal. You may fall in “range” but any doctor who cares about their patients treats symptoms not numbers.

1 Like

I’ve stopped taking any SSRI’s, I want to see whether or not boosting my T levels will just do the trick for me before taking any more stuff.

I think that’s a good idea ! I was on effexor for years and I stopped last summer . I don’t feel any different.

Ok, did you taper off or just stop? a lot of those symptoms like the twitching feelings come from coming off too fast. Expect to feel pretty weird for next couple weeks

2 Likes

I actually still feel depersonalized as if I was still on SSRIs. But that feeling has slowly gone away.