20 y/o About to Start TRT (Self-Managed)

This is not a post about whether or not I should start trt, I have already made this decision, instead it is for opinions on my protocol I have made myself.

I have had trouble with my hormones my whole life despite maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle. I had delayed puberty and was actually put on testosterone for a short period when I was 17 to kickstart me into starting puberty. I believe I have now finished, or at least am near the end of finishing puberty.

I went to the doctors (I am from the UK) 15 months ago as I had all the symptoms of low t, the endo just had me take bloods every two months for a year or so and despite staying at low levels (I would fluctuate between 250 and 350), he was reluctant to treat me or even investigate further. Anyone from the UK knows the struggle with NHS endos, the normal range they quote is 300-1050 and your age is not a factor in this range. We proceeded to fall out so I stopped seeing him altogether. 1 month ago I went to the GP to begin my journey with the NHS yet again, hoping to see a different endo this time, and explained my symptoms and my history to the GP but all I got from that visit was a prescription for anti-depressants, wouldn’t even check my bloods. It was from this point that I decided that the only way I would get better is taking action myself. I have spent the last few weeks researching trt and have come up with a protocol to start with. I will have a weekly dose of 150mg test-e (75mg injected twice a week) and will take 250IUs hcg on injection days (500IUs a week).

The reason for the hcg is maintaining fertility is a top priority for me, telling my parents that I could not give them grandkids because I fucked up my fertility would destroy me (and more importantly them). I currently have the ability to reach climax and produce ejaculate but have zero motivation to do so. I have no intention of having kids for at least 6 or 7 years.

I will also have adex on hand to use if I get symptoms of high e2, if that were the case I would take 0.25mg on injection days (.5mg a week). I will try my best to get bloods done freuently to check my hormone profile but not sure how easy this will be in the UK.

Thank you for your time.

So, I’m assuming you have access to a reliable source? What about needles? You’re going to have to donate blood regularly to keep your hemacrit down. T increases red blood cells which is a two edged sword…you have more energy due to increased oxygen levels in the blood but the increased red blood cells can cause the blood to thicken.

I self administer but I’m in the US and have access to a great domestic source. I also get my bloodwork done thru a private lab which my Health Reimbursement Acct pays for.

Once you start TRT, its pretty much for life.

thanks for your reply, yes I have a reliable source for the gear and the needles. I was not aware of the affect on hemacrit so I will look further into this.

Suggest that you try to get balanced on 100mg T per week. Starting there will have a huge relative benefit. Because you are doing this on your own, you have to be determined to keep your hand out of the cookie jar and not get into high doses.

You have not done labs for LH/FSH or prolactin and thus have no idea about the cause, low-T is the symptom. If LH/FSH are low, prolactin could be a cause, in any case, a HPTA Restart is worth the effort. See the sticky for that. If LH/FSH are high, the problem is the testes and that can be corrected IF there is a surgically correctable vascular problem. Docs examined your testes? Testes every ache?

You may need a private physician for labs:
TT
FT
E2
CBC
hematocrit [HTC]

Diagnostics:
LH/FSH
prolactin if LH/FSH are low

Your goal is to get near E2=80 pmol/L
Suggest that you start low dose anastrozole from the start, then that would enable calculation of a dose to get to E2=80 pmol/L
That cuts the time and lab cost to get E2 managed.
Read the stickies and understand the implications of anastrozole over-responders.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.