20 Reps Squat Challenge

Edit: We have a leader:

Blenderate 210kg x 20 reps.

183.87kg/405lbs x 26 reps:

Approx 173kg x 20 reps:

Can anyone outlift us?

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to leave your comfort zone and bust your ass!

The rules are:

• no belt
  • spotters allowed (powerrack ok)
  • legal IPF-depth on every rep (top of tigh muscle lower than knee cap in lower position)
  • video to prove your accomplishment

Example:

http://www.southernpowerliftingclub.com/Photos/squat.gif

You should at least go as low as in figure 4, but preferably a little bit deeper, so as to leave no doubt.

There are few other exercises that can compare to squat and deadlifts, and high rep squats are something that really will make your wheels burn, and your lungs work hard.

In the thousands of gyms around the world people are training biceps and benchpress each and every day, alas many of these people never feel the awesome power of the squat, and the out of this world experience of a high rep squat set.

It always feels the worst the first time you try, after a few sessions your body will adapat, but it is still a matter of willpower to make the whole set.

Comrades, let’s embrace the pain and enter the game.

My application can be seen here:

I expect that there are many strong people on this site. And now is the time to get to the gym and do 20 reps of heavy squats!

Good luck everyone!

Wow you did that so easily compared to your first couple tries at 20 reps.

Whats your max back squat?

[quote]shizen wrote:
Wow you did that so easily compared to your first couple tries at 20 reps.

Whats your max back squat? [/quote]

Shizen, the body adapt quickly, and I have had a layoff and working back into heavy weights. I am not sure about what my max is now. But I have at least done 220kg with only a belt a while ago. Hard to say what it is now. Before the layoff I did an easy 180kg front squat with only a belt…

But the real question is: Are you in for the challenge? 20 reps ? Film it and post it on youtube! :smiley:

No spotters is dumb!
No help of course but don’t compromise safety.

Very very very very VERY nice my friend.
Pretty much ass to ground too.

How much are you weighing right now.
I’m going to give 100kg a try in a few weeks for 1x20, when I get to 10x10 on 100 I will give this a go the next session.

Cant imagine the pump you must get in the hammies and quads, must be crazy.

Oh and what is in the buckets? Paint? Concrete powder? Or did you put something else in there yourself.

I had planned on working towards 140+ x20 soon enough after my comp this month so I guess you can count me in. 160x12 is my best so far, so I guess ultimately I’d like to hit that for 20!

Not sure what is in the buckets, but it is heavy enough so each bucket is about 20kg, but they are unevenly balanced, so I have put a 2.5kg plate on one side to balance it all out. The reason for the buckets is that I do not have enough weight-plates in my home gym. The bucket was already in the basement when I set up the gym, so it was very convenient, I tried to look in one of the buckets, and it is some kind of white mass that is pretty solid. Not sure what it is, but never really bothered about it. Lol. I have also read that sandbags filled with sand could be a cheap alternative to weight-plates!

Well, I tought of that as well - spotters can be allowed, security of course must not be compromised, but the spotters are not allowed to help. The reason that I originally choose to say that no spotters were allowed is that it is harder to do it without spotters (ie. no safety net). But I do not want anybody to get hurt, so spotters are okay!

shuddupNsquat: The pump is pretty awesome, actually I was more pumped when i did 150kg x 20, 162.5kg x 20 was actually easier, but after a lot of high rep squatting I have been acustomed to it. The hardest part is just cranking out the reps when every reps starts to get really hard!

But PEOPLE! Get in on the challenge! I don’t care if you squat with 80kg, the point is to do 20 reps! It is a nice experience. An journey into pain! You get headstrong as well from it!

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I had planned on working towards 140+ x20 soon enough after my comp this month so I guess you can count me in. 160x12 is my best so far, so I guess ultimately I’d like to hit that for 20![/quote]

Yes! Thank you brother! Finally a man with balls! :smiley:

you can do 160kg x 20! When it gets really hard, just do one and one rep. It is a matter of the brain defeating the body. I look forward to it and will keep this thread alive.

My next goal is 165kg x 20, but today I only did 10 reps with that weight!

I forgot to say. My bodyweight is 101kg.

How will we know if the the weight you used is your true 20 rep squat weight? You could claim you’re weaker than you really are and 20 rep squat a really light weight.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
How will we know if the the weight you used is your true 20 rep squat weight? You could claim you’re weaker than you really are and 20 rep squat a really light weight.[/quote]

Who, Stallion…??

Cos that guy has no credibility… :S

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
How will we know if the the weight you used is your true 20 rep squat weight? You could claim you’re weaker than you really are and 20 rep squat a really light weight.[/quote]

The challenge is to do 20 reps of squats. If someone lifts 200kg x 20, I am happy, and if someone lifts 80kg x 20 i am happy. The point is to challenge yourself! :smiley: If you beat some others, it is an added bonus.

You get mad extra points for using BUCKETS at weights.

I did these about 3 months back with 315, but I used a box for touch and go to ensure depth, and wore a belt. Regardless, I hobbled for a couple of days afterwards.

If I hadn’t already gone through the pain, I probably would have been foolish enough to do them for this challenge. I’m sure some day I will forget how hard the were and try them again…maybe when I can put 405 on the bar for 20.

I wore a belt and breifs and got 420 for 18 reps… it totally sucked.

20 rep squats are killer.

If I can do 405 x20 before 2010 I’ll be happy!

Stallion, very impressive lift!!

I have never squatted anywhere near that many reps at any weight, sounds painful but what the hell, I’m in. The problem is where to start, 315 seems like a good starting point. I think that I have only done 315 for a max of 10-12 reps. I will get a starting point either Friday or Mondayto see how many reps I can get at 315 and post results.

Stallion, how did you train for twenty reps? Frequency, sets, etc?

[quote]shawnhavoc wrote:

I have never squatted anywhere near that many reps at any weight, sounds painful but what the hell, I’m in. The problem is where to start, 315 seems like a good starting point. I think that I have only done 315 for a max of 10-12 reps. I will get a starting point either Friday or Mondayto see how many reps I can get at 315 and post results.

Stallion, how did you train for twenty reps? Frequency, sets, etc?[/quote]

Excellent, are you going to post videos as well ? Just pick a weight and see how many reps you can do. If you don’t reach 20 reps, then try again the next day, or if you prefer one day or a few days later.

How I train for the high reps? My method is this:

I pick a weight, then I do as many reps as I am comfortable with. The next time around I try to do more reps, and the next time even more, so when I reach 20 reps, I increase the weight and repeat the procedure.

I am lucky enough to have a home gym, and train the squat every day (not many sets a day tough), and lately I am experimenting training the squat two or three times a day, just working up to a top set, and that is it.

Looking forward to see your videos. Also interesting to hear what all the others have posted! :smiley:

[quote]shawnhavoc wrote:

Stallion, how did you train for twenty reps? Frequency, sets, etc?[/quote]

If you can already get 10-12 then you are probably a lot closer than you think. At that range, you just try to shut out the pain and breath between reps. If you slow down and just grind them out, you are capable of a lot more than you think.

[quote]Frank.S wrote:
I wore a belt and breifs and got 420 for 18 reps… it totally sucked.

20 rep squats are killer.[/quote]

That is very good! Did you do it for the 20-rep challenge?