20 Rep Squats

[quote]zonforce wrote:
The author recommends drinking a gallon of milk thru out the 6 week program.
[/quote]

Thats a gallon of milk a day, big guy. Theres a big difference lol.

This 20 rep squat program must be very intensive, it seems that the volume of other excercises is tiny. A young man such are yourself, RJC, especially one with so many supplements, should be doing a lot more in the gym. IMHO.

I think your about my age. And your taking a whole lot more supps then me. But maybe people just have differeng amounts they can do in the gym.

Barney, I’m 18. I’m also a huge pussy.

My legs IMO need much more work than my upper body. I know my upper body needs plenty of work, but my legs need serious work.

I’m going to do the routine I have posted in the first post, and see how that works out. If I dont feel burnt out, maybe I’ll add in another iso movement for each day. For right now, though, I’m trying to make sure I hit my legs extremely hard.

Just finished my 20 rep squats about 10 min. ago. 225# for 20 not too hard reps, although I had to stop for a few breaths. I believe one of the keys to this routine is all the heavy breathing which should actually be done between each rep. I’m certain that will occur naturally as soon as I near the 300# mark. I didn’t do any follow up work because I’ve been feeling kinda shitty today but my mouth wrote a check so I felt obligated to at least do the squats. Bwt. was 173# this morning and I didn’t eat near enough today. All you guys doing this, keep posting your logs and squattin’ deep!

I recently just completed 20 rep squats and gained roughly 20 lbs. No Joke. I did the same routine from BB.com, and drank a full gallon of skim milk every day. You are going to gain fat even if your diet is very clean, i know i did. Also, dont worry about the volume man, youll do enough. My leg size really improved alot, they were real skinny before. I got to around 300lbs x 17 reps and tapped out. that was as much as my knees could handle.

also im not a newbie by any means, i started this program at about 262lbs and finished almost near 285. you can look at the pics in my profile if you want.

good luck to you and if you have any questions along the way id be happy to answer

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
This 20 rep squat program must be very intensive, it seems that the volume of other excercises is tiny. A young man such are yourself, RJC, especially one with so many supplements, should be doing a lot more in the gym. IMHO.

I think your about my age. And your taking a whole lot more supps then me. But maybe people just have differeng amounts they can do in the gym.[/quote]

the volume does seem low, but it works fine with this program

I have one question, I am deffenetly not going to drink a gallon of milk a day, for financial reasons. One more thing, If i am doing 1x20 squats 2 times a week can i sustitue a deadlift day for 1x20 too, or should i just have a full 3 day workout with the 20 rep squats with the occasional 3x8-12 deadlifts after the squats or what not.

what do u guys think?

I did 20 reppers, supersquat style, last year. I gained about 20lbs bodyweight. I started the squat at 185 and got up to 265.

I personally felt three times a week was too much for the 20 rep squat set. If I were to try it again, I’d probably do the squats once every 3 days, or about twice a week.

As for 20 rep deadlifts, yeah, you can do em. You are probably going to need straps unless you have bear paws for hands.

[quote]mrl179 wrote:
I have one question, I am deffenetly not going to drink a gallon of milk a day, for financial reasons. One more thing, If i am doing 1x20 squats 2 times a week can i sustitue a deadlift day for 1x20 too, or should i just have a full 3 day workout with the 20 rep squats with the occasional 3x8-12 deadlifts after the squats or what not.

what do u guys think?[/quote]

[quote]mrl179 wrote:
I have one question, I am deffenetly not going to drink a gallon of milk a day, for financial reasons.

Let’s see. If you buy a gallon of 1%, organic milk, that’s 5 bucks a day. 5 dollars for about 128 g of protein, and about 1000 calories.

You don’t have the money? Work one eight hour day a week. Or one hour a day. That should take care of that, even on minimum wage.

Dan “wage slave” McVicker

Dude, milk is like the cheapest protein in the grocery store.

[quote]Charged wrote:
Ive seen a video by a guy named Sarge or somthing and he does about 250 for 99 reps.[/quote]

Sarge is (or at least was, don’t know if he still is) Jesse Marunde’s lifting partner. The challenge was to squat bodyweight for 100 reps. He weighed 218 at the time, I think he did 225 for 98 reps. Too bad he didn’t get those last two reps - but still, that is the definition of testosterone.

To the guys doing 20 rep squats - keep it up. You’ve got some freakin’ cajones.

[quote]mrl179 wrote:

no offense man, but this progam is often called SQUATS and MILK. you really want to not drink as much milk as recommended and not squat as much as recommended. that kind of defeats the entire purpose of this program. milk costs 2.50 at stop n shop for a gallon. suck itup, its only a 6 week program

yea i guess u guys right, i gonna buy the milk and not be a cheap ass bastard.

So, I just got back from the gym.

First of all, note that you shouldnt drink a half a gallon of milk unless you’re going to have access to a bathroom for the following hour or two.

I did the 20 squats with 150lbs. Seemed much harder than 145 despite it being only 5lbs heavier. Could be my legs are still sore as shit.

The Spike Shooters are the shit, by the way. I’ve drank a little more than half in the morning, then the rest about 10 minutes before my workout. I cant imagine doing these squats without them.

One thing I found that help me prepare for the 20 rep set was after my last warmup set, I would visualize the whole set. It would ever go so far as to go through each rep, holding my breath while visualizing the rep and then taking my planned breaths in between reps. The I would go do the real set just like I rehearsed in my mind.

Did you have the same warmup as before? A few reps with the bar and then go to 150? I think it would be less of a shock to your system to do 5 or so reps with the bar and then 3-4 reps with either 95 or 115 before your 20 rep set. Then the 155 next time won’t be as much of a shock.

Good luck.

This is retarded.

Why only one set of 20?

I’ve done these before and they kick ass! If and only if you do at least 3 sets. if your getting worked over after only 1 set of 20 then you need to kick up the GPP and stop kidding yourself because you are obviously out of shape.

yea fuck the 1x20 deadlift, sry about the language but the bar was really hard to hold on too, and i did get one great feeling after i was done.

anyeway i just gonna stick to like 3x8-12…just do what i can baby.

[quote]bonzi50 wrote:
This is retarded.

Why only one set of 20?

I’ve done these before and they kick ass! If and only if you do at least 3 sets. if your getting worked over after only 1 set of 20 then you need to kick up the GPP and stop kidding yourself because you are obviously out of shape.
[/quote]

Retarded? You call a training protocol that’s routinely proven to add 15-20 lbs. of bodyweight in just a few weeks retarded? I seriously doubt that you performed them with any significant poundage since it took you 3 sets to feel like you had done any work.

How about you try doing 1x20 with 50 lbs. more than your bwt. and then come back and say you needed 3 sets. That’s rock bottom squats, not merely parallel and not in a smith machine with a bench under your butt. I think you’ll find that your own GPP isn’t as good as you think. I squat 315 for 10 reps and 405 for for 3 reps (ATG) and the 230x20 I did today still made me light headed and out of breath.

[quote]bonzi50 wrote:
This is retarded.

Why only one set of 20?

[/quote]

If you’re doing it right, there’s no chance in hell of doing a second set. I guess you missed the crucial part of the program that says you do 20 reps with your 10 rep max. When I was doing them, it would be 5 minutes before I could even crawl to the bench. No way I was going to try some more squats. Do it right and then try telling people they should do 3x as much. Not going to happen.

[quote]TornadoTommy wrote:
Retarded? You call a training protocol that’s routinely proven to add 15-20 lbs. of bodyweight in just a few weeks retarded? I seriously doubt that you performed them with any significant poundage since it took you 3 sets to feel like you had done any work.

How about you try doing 1x20 with 50 lbs. more than your bwt. and then come back and say you needed 3 sets. That’s rock bottom squats, not merely parallel and not in a smith machine with a bench under your butt. I think you’ll find that your own GPP isn’t as good as you think. I squat 315 for 10 reps and 405 for for 3 reps (ATG) and the 230x20 I did today still made me light headed and out of breath.[/quote]

You’re using 85 lbs less than you should be. I doubt the set is as hard as you think it is. Throw 315 on the bar if that’s your 10RM, and keep the bar on your back until you get all 20 reps. You won’t simply be “light headed and out of breath” if you do 20 rep squats the right way. You’ll wish you were dead.

Take as much time as you need between reps (after 8-10), breathe hard, and go for another rep. A set may take as long as 3-4 minutes. See if you can find the video of Jesse Marunde doing 407x20 and you’ll see what I mean.