20-Rep Squats

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:
Ah, good luck! I need to pony up and look into a meet and just compete for the hell of it. I’m not at the numbers I want to be at for my weight class, but I suppose competing sooner than later is more beneficial. [/quote]
What is your weight class and what are your numbers?

Will attempt 405 tomorrow. Its been nice knowing you all…

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Will attempt 405 tomorrow. Its been nice knowing you all…[/quote]

overhead?

dammit Storm…id believe it.

I’ve done the Super Squat program quite a few times. You’re doing great with the weight you’re doing. The first time I did the program I would drink about a gallon and a half of milk a day, eat three big meals per day, and have two to three snacks per day, as well as a protein shake following lifting. I went from 175 lbs bodyweight to 195 pounds bodyweight in 6 weeks. My starting squat weight was 225lbs and I ended up with 315 for 20 to conclude. My stiff dead lifts were the same weight as my squats. All my other lifts were moderate weight and they didn’t increase as well as the squats or stiff deads. The Super Squat program is perhaps the ultimate conditioning-strength building bad-ass program there is.
My highest Super Squat 20 rep set was 405lbs which was a killer. The set took me about 8 minutes and my lungs hurt from all the deep, strong breathing between reps.
Get everything you can from Super Squats. The program really teaches you to strain and work through psychological barriers. You only have to go parallel for depth unless you just want to increase the torture, which I often did. Having a little self masochism trait helps. If you add in the milk and eat like a hungry bear you’ll grow and increase your strength better or as good as any other program can promise.

Well I thought I would just go ahead and try 275 today. Got 10 reps then had to rack it. Took maybe a 30 second break then got 3 more reps, racked it, took another 30 second break, got 2 reps, racked it, 30 second break, 3 reps, 30 second break, then finally the last 2 reps. Going to go for 12 or more reps before I have to rack it on Thursday. I would keep the weight on my back and just go to failure, but I just hate having to take all the weight off then put the bar back on the rack then put the weight back on and then go again. I’m probably just being a pussy.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Will attempt 405 tomorrow. Its been nice knowing you all…[/quote]

I did 405x23 a couple weeks ago. I can’t recommend it to anyone.

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:
Ah, good luck! I need to pony up and look into a meet and just compete for the hell of it. I’m not at the numbers I want to be at for my weight class, but I suppose competing sooner than later is more beneficial. [/quote]
What is your weight class and what are your numbers?[/quote]

Currently: DL - 465
Squat - 365
Bench - 285
@198 B/W

[quote]BigDBigD wrote:
Well I thought I would just go ahead and try 275 today. Got 10 reps then had to rack it. Took maybe a 30 second break then got 3 more reps, racked it, took another 30 second break, got 2 reps, racked it, 30 second break, 3 reps, 30 second break, then finally the last 2 reps. Going to go for 12 or more reps before I have to rack it on Thursday. I would keep the weight on my back and just go to failure, but I just hate having to take all the weight off then put the bar back on the rack then put the weight back on and then go again. I’m probably just being a pussy.[/quote]

Are you talking about 20 reps in one set, or allowing the bar to be racked, rest, and start again? Is this how you were doing 225 & 250?

about going too low or not low and health…appparently, tests have shown no difference in knee health between higher and lower squats 70-110 degrees.
I myself feel healthier going low…however it has to be acquired. Gradual depth until the flexibility is there. I just did smolov…the first 4 weeks my knees were sore…after this week (13 weeks) I feel better than at first!!

hey gorilla…did you gain a lot of fat during that 6 weeks? I may try it…just finished smolov…posted a video on the old posts we had last month.

[quote]Reed wrote:

Jesse Rodgers ( SPF President ) was helping me out with my squat and told me more than once if I didn’t squat so low I could easily bring up my squat numbers for a meet[/quote]

Wait. You’re telling me that the president of the SPF told you to squat higher? Color me shocked.

Hit 405x21 a few months back. The fist 10 were pretty easy, the next 5 were OK, the last 6 SUCKED! That was pretty much my entire workout for the day. Did some light stuff then went home. And ate, a LOT.

question!!! when it says…take a weight you can do 10 times and do it 20…dont you find that to be a lie!! if you could do it 20 times in the first place, you should have gone higher originally.,
i want to start it tonight…

for example…last week I did 225 below parallel…10 times barely. I may have squeezed an 11th but it was rough…you mean to tell me do 20!!! like how? and like HOW!!! do you rest for minutes?? what? do tell please.

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Jesse Rodgers ( SPF President ) was helping me out with my squat and told me more than once if I didn’t squat so low I could easily bring up my squat numbers for a meet[/quote]

Wait. You’re telling me that the president of the SPF told you to squat higher? Color me shocked.

[/quote]

Haha yes that is exactly what I am saying.

[quote]steviebeast wrote:
for example…last week I did 225 below parallel…10 times barely. I may have squeezed an 11th but it was rough…you mean to tell me do 20!!! like how? and like HOW!!! do you rest for minutes?? what? do tell please.[/quote]

1: One exclamation point will suffice. Same with question marks.
2: Rest as long as you need to with the bar on your back until you can do another rep.

Did my first 20 rep squat last night…Last week I finished smolov. went from 235 full squat to 300…Then last night I did 215 x20…It took 2 min and 15 seconds!! was breathing hard. I think I could have done 225. But it was very hard. I did deadlifts afterwards…not really hard. And some back. today I am sore for the first time in over 2 months. The smolov is great too. After the first 4 weeks I stopped getting sore. But this 20 rep squat thing…how many days a week is good? 3?

Actually, ! and ? marks are not really needed as often as people think they do…However,its the manner and intent that is being put forth that is important…therefore the ! and ?,!!
haha