T Nation

20-Rep Squats w/o Back Squats?

I have no squat rack and want to do 20-rep squats. Can I do bb hack squats or clean the bar and do front squats?

Or do those not work properly with the 20-rep breathing techniques? I think with hack squats I’d probably have to let go of the bar and stand up between reps to breathe.

I think front squats should be fine, as long as you can clean your 20 rep squat weight.

I’ve never really tried hack squats.

If you hold your front squat with a clean grip - which is the only way you could hold the bar without a squat rack - I would think that front squats for 20 reps would put a lot of stress on the wrists. I would advise against doing them for that reason.

Your profile lists your goals as “size, power, health and looks.” The 20 rep squat has achieved a type of mythical status, but there are many better ways to achieve these goals other than the 20 rep squat. For instance, deadlifts for 10 sets of 3 reps using abou 80% of your max are an excellent choice for strength and size.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
If you hold your front squat with a clean grip - which is the only way you could hold the bar without a squat rack - I would think that front squats for 20 reps would put a lot of stress on the wrists. I would advise against doing them for that reason.[/quote]

Good point, but I can clean the bar then switch to the arms crossed position. Then I’ll be pushing it into my throat, though…

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Your profile lists your goals as “size, power, health and looks.” The 20 rep squat has achieved a type of mythical status, but there are many better ways to achieve these goals other than the 20 rep squat. For instance, deadlifts for 10 sets of 3 reps using abou 80% of your max are an excellent choice for strength and size.[/quote]

I wanted to try 20-rep squats for variety and see what they do. I’ve been doing hack squats with low reps for what, four months now? But I haven’t done 10x3 deadlifts yet so I can do those as well.

OK, maybe the best answer is to get a pair of sawhorses and do heavy front squats…

It’s good to add variaty to your workout. If you can do it try it, try to make it as injury free as possible. If it works then you know you can do it the next workout. If necessary try a light set to test then go heavy first. There’s no perfect exercise, the key is go hard!!!

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
OK, maybe the best answer is to get a pair of sawhorses and do heavy front squats…[/quote]

I was going to suggest this. This is a good idea.