T Nation

20 Rep Squats Strengthen Ligaments?

I’ve been doing the 20 rep squat workout for 3 weeks now, I’ve worked my way up from 225, and today I did 250, so next workout 255. and I’ve put on some good size on my legs and lower and upper back.

But my question is since this is a high rep routine, will this strengthin my ligaments and tendons in my knees?

Any sort of strength training will improve you felxabilty to an extent.

I would guess if the tendons and ligaments don’t get stronger then the muscle around your knee, mainly your quads and calves certainly would.

It’s all about adaptation, the more you load x amount of weight on your body, the sooner your body will begin to think it’s an everyday thing.

Thats why variation is a key in strength training.

[quote]Jason12345 wrote:
I’ve been doing the 20 rep squat workout for 3 weeks now, I’ve worked my way up from 225, and today I did 250, so next workout 255. and I’ve put on some good size on my legs and lower and upper back.

But my question is since this is a high rep routine, will this strengthin my ligaments and tendons in my knees?[/quote]

Not in the most efficient way. the high rep method philosophy of strengthening the tendons has been thoroughly challenged. After the first couple of reps the response rate plummets. There are numerous studies on this.

Quick, partial range of motion movements with heavier weight and lower reps is much more efficient. Isometrics and some plyometrics work well too. just supplement your existing workout with something along those lines