20 Rep Squats Program Claims

I just added these to my program as I have a helluva a time getting my legs to respond. I did 135 for 20 and it was hard; had to pause at 15 and take a breath, and for each subsequent rep, but I didn’t feel like I had to puke when I was done. I followed this up with two more sets of ten at the same weight. I then did 3 sets of twenty at 360 on the leg press and then light barbell step-ups (on a bench). I definitely was fatigued by the end by did not experience the soreness I expected.

Next leg day I plan to do some heavy box squats early in the week and then do the 20 reppers later in the week. We’ll see how that works.

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
That would be correct. My only question is do you do the twenty-reps once a week, or more than that? I suspect once a week but I would love a confirmation. Also, do you do any other leg exercises along with the program. [/quote]

When I utilized this program I would workout only three times a week. Doing one set of 20 rep breath squats each total body workout. I did not do any other leg exercises,besides being too tired,I did not have to since my legs grew like crazy.

Gojira: Maybe you should add some more weight and see what it takes to kick your own ass. From what I’ve read, if you can do any more than lie on the ground and weep then you haven’t gone hard enough.

[quote]earthshaker wrote:
DooMMOoD wrote:
That would be correct. My only question is do you do the twenty-reps once a week, or more than that? I suspect once a week but I would love a confirmation. Also, do you do any other leg exercises along with the program.

When I utilized this program I would workout only three times a week. Doing one set of 20 rep breath squats each total body workout. I did not do any other leg exercises,besides being too tired,I did not have to since my legs grew like crazy.[/quote]

So then you did 3 sets of 20 rep squats per week?

[quote]chicanerous wrote:

The basic plan is to cause yourself to hyperventilate, increasing your oxygen consumption, etc. and allowing you to get out more reps. For this reason, never do breathing squats with a light weight as the oxygen debt won’t be great enough to compensate for the oxygen you’re taking in, which can cause you to pass out.[/quote]

Hyperventilating does not increase available oxygen in the blood. What it does is that it will lower the amount of carbindioxide. Carbondioxide is the gas that regulates breating, if you hold your breath long enough you get an urge to breath, that is NOT because the oxygen levels are getting low, it’s because the carbondioxide level is getting high.

Hyperventilating will lower the CO2 level so it will take longer to get that urge to breath during breathhold, if hyperventilating too long you can lower the CO2 level so much that it wont come up to a level where it tells the brain that you will need to breath. Then you’ll pass out. Passing out is NOT because you get TOO much oxygen.

A common danger when apnea, do a google search on “shallow water black-out”.

Not that any of this have anything to do with 20 rep squat but I hate to see wrong information passed along on this (and other) forum(s).

Claes

[quote]jacross wrote:
Gojira: Maybe you should add some more weight and see what it takes to kick your own ass. From what I’ve read, if you can do any more than lie on the ground and weep then you haven’t gone hard enough.[/quote]

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I suppose I was being cautious since I don’t have a spotter in the morning. Next time I do them I will go heavier and do them in the afternoon when my husband is there to spot me.

You know, safety first…

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
earthshaker wrote:
DooMMOoD wrote:
That would be correct. My only question is do you do the twenty-reps once a week, or more than that? I suspect once a week but I would love a confirmation. Also, do you do any other leg exercises along with the program.

When I utilized this program I would workout only three times a week. Doing one set of 20 rep breath squats each total body workout. I did not do any other leg exercises,besides being too tired,I did not have to since my legs grew like crazy.

So then you did 3 sets of 20 rep squats per week?
[/quote]

Yes. Plus of course, I increased the weight by 5lbs. each workout(set).

You were increasing the weight 15 pounds per week then?

I figure 20 rep squats and higher might get some more play due to Dan John’s recent article.

I cant get the though of 3 30 rep squats in one session out of my head, and the weight he used! Anyhow, I digress…

I would say that a true 20 rep squat could only be done 2X a week at best with a jump in weight of 5 to 10lbs a session, if any. Those last 10 should be brutal singles, and breathing is is a major issue in those reps over 10.

This looks like more of a bodybuilding thing to me. If you really want to improve your strength, I would rather do something like WSB. I also fear that your form would break down on the last reps which could lead to injury.

I did a few sets of these today. Got through set number 1 and went to my knees for the first time ever. Had to lower the weight on the 3rd set (decided to try a Dan John and go for 3 sets of breathers).

If you are just starting ,underestimate your poundage.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
You were increasing the weight 15 pounds per week then?[/quote]

Yes, for the most part. It helped though that I took a week off every 4-5 weeks. In about three months my 20RM doubled from 135 to 270.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
This looks like more of a bodybuilding thing to me. If you really want to improve your strength, I would rather do something like WSB. I also fear that your form would break down on the last reps which could lead to injury.[/quote]

Just as a counter point to what you said, is it not true that having a larger muscle will give a greater potential for strength gains when you switch back to a lower rep PL style workout (ie you could use the 20 rep squat program to give your body a break from lower rep stuff and when you return to it you should theorethically (sp) be caple of getting even stronger).

I second the “not O2 deprivation but CO2 accumulaiton” statement. It’s for real. When your (sic) an athsmatic (sp?) you learn these things fast.

Strangely enough I was just about to try this program. And as far as strength goes i’d say after a while of low rep ME training something like this come prevent or bust a plateau and also helps build capilaries in the muscle tissue. Working through varied rep ranges allows for continual development. It seems like this would strip fat off you if you didn’t drink a ton of milk. Since im milk allergy and lacto-intolerant I’ll see if it does. I’m sure steak will be a fine replacement.

Good topic

-chris

Running the numbers here…

A gallon of milk has ~ 2400 calories, and 144 g of protein. Multiply that by 42 days, gives you 100800 surplus calories. Or, lets be realistic here and assume that people are going to eat a little less than they usually do, say 500 calories less. 500 calories x 6 x 7 = 79800.

You need somewhere between 2500-4000 surplus calories to synthesize a pound of muscle tissue. This would put you in the ballpark area of 20-30lbs of muscle.

So it is theoretically possible, I suppose. And judging by the extraordinary results of some people that have tried this, well… .

I bet the caloric surplus + extreme training program is key here. Maybe Smolov Squat + Milk would work equally well.

I’ve done the program before. Twice actually.

The first time (as a young newb) I did 3 sets of 20 MWF. I went for a whopping 45lbs to 115lbs. I added 5lbs per workout. Remember though, I had just started weight training.

The second time around was about 3 months after I finished the 3x20. I started with 135 x 20 and ended at 225 x 20 by adding 5lbs per workout (or 15lbs per week). I gained about 15lbs of weight (muscle and fat)during that time.

The only reason I stopped was because once I hit 230 I was only able to get 14 reps. So I decided to switch to something else.

Other work I did along with is was dumbbell pullovers with 25lbs for 20 reps, and just random upper body work. I also added in the Breathing Hise Shrug for 1x20 and worked up to 250lbs during that time.

I’ve just recently added high rep Hise Shrugs into my workouts again.

So…if you’re going to try it:

Warm-up
Behind the Neck Press 3 x 12-15
Bench Press 2-3 x 8-12
Bent-over Row 2-3 x 8-12
Breathing Squat 1 x 20
Pullover 1 x 20 (only use 25lbs to “expand the rib cage”)
Straight Legged Deadlift 1 x 15
Arm Curls, Extensions, Abs, Calves, Neck, etc (your choice)

Good Luck.

-ton

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
This looks like more of a bodybuilding thing to me. If you really want to improve your strength, I would rather do something like WSB. I also fear that your form would break down on the last reps which could lead to injury.[/quote]

That is a real danger. When I did a 20-rep squat program a few years back, I blew out my lower back about 5 or 6 weeks in trying to get two final reps. My spotter was an idiot, but it was basically my own fault for putting ego before common sense. Couldn’t squat again for almost six months.

Still, program has a lot to be said for it.

Experiencing serious DOMS 2 days later… Which I usually consider to be a decent sign that I at least challenged my body in some way.

[quote]Willus wrote:

AI bet the caloric surplus + extreme training program is key here. Maybe Smolov Squat + Milk would work equally well.[/quote]

that’s A thought!!

[quote]FairDo wrote:
Willus wrote:

AI bet the caloric surplus + extreme training program is key here. Maybe Smolov Squat + Milk would work equally well.

that’s A thought!! [/quote]

I bet that would increase the 1 RM even more.