20-Rep Squats For Conditioning?

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Scrotus wrote:
Old Dax wrote:
How can anyone do 20 rep squats with their 10 rep max??

YOu do like 5-6, stop without racking the weight, take a few breaths and continue, stop every couple of reps when you need to, to take a few breaths, dont rack the weight till you are done. towards the end you might need to take a few breaths after every rep. That is why it is also called Breathing Squats.

It doesn’t say breathing squats, anyway I’ve heard this kind of crap before; in my opinion you’d be likely to pause for a few breaths when you perform a 10RM.

Its basically BS, or a way of getting people to really try, as what they think is their 10RM isn’t cause they give up.

If you can do 20 reps with it it ain’t your 10 RM![/quote]

thank you for saying it. im surprised no one else has a problem with that. i guess they’re afraid of not sounding “hardcore”. gotta go. i deadlift today. My 1 rep max is 460. so my workout today is going to be 10x10 at 600 lbs. im gonna have to breathe a lot i guess.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Scrotus wrote:
Old Dax wrote:
How can anyone do 20 rep squats with their 10 rep max??

YOu do like 5-6, stop without racking the weight, take a few breaths and continue, stop every couple of reps when you need to, to take a few breaths, dont rack the weight till you are done. towards the end you might need to take a few breaths after every rep. That is why it is also called Breathing Squats.

It doesn’t say breathing squats, anyway I’ve heard this kind of crap before; in my opinion you’d be likely to pause for a few breaths when you perform a 10RM.

Its basically BS, or a way of getting people to really try, as what they think is their 10RM isn’t cause they give up.

If you can do 20 reps with it it ain’t your 10 RM![/quote]

Actually, it IS breathing squats.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
What I saw was unbelievable. This was the first time I saw a coach who did an entire workout with his athletes. Since his athletes were doubtful of the workout, he decided to join them and show them it’s possible. I watched the whole thing out of curiosity.

First, he 20-rep squatted 315. Since he succeeded, the others were inspired to follow. They all did 135, and the 2 basketball guys and a soccer guy fainted. Amazingly, the table tennis guy didn’t faint.

In any case, after 10 minutes of rest and encouragement, coach was able to get everybody (even those who fainted) to do the ASET with him. I didn’t count the reps they did, but they were barely moving by minute 10. Coach seemed to be consistent the whole time, although he was visibly tired.

After another 10 minutes of rest were the sprints. Coach could sprint 50m in less than 7 seconds. The athletes managed times under 10 seconds for all 12 rounds. They rested 2 minutes between each round.

Finally, they hit the treadmill. I noticed they were in pain.

The whole thing lasted 2 hours. Apparently, they’ll be doing this every M-W-F. Afterwards, coach drank his protein and nutrient shake and shared some with his athletes. Then he sent them home to sleep.

Nice guy, but I still think he’s insane.[/quote]

That’s pretty cool. I stand corrected.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
What I saw was unbelievable. This was the first time I saw a coach who did an entire workout with his athletes. Since his athletes were doubtful of the workout, he decided to join them and show them it’s possible. I watched the whole thing out of curiosity.

First, he 20-rep squatted 315. Since he succeeded, the others were inspired to follow. They all did 135, and the 2 basketball guys and a soccer guy fainted. Amazingly, the table tennis guy didn’t faint.

In any case, after 10 minutes of rest and encouragement, coach was able to get everybody (even those who fainted) to do the ASET with him. I didn’t count the reps they did, but they were barely moving by minute 10. Coach seemed to be consistent the whole time, although he was visibly tired.

After another 10 minutes of rest were the sprints. Coach could sprint 50m in less than 7 seconds. The athletes managed times under 10 seconds for all 12 rounds. They rested 2 minutes between each round.

Finally, they hit the treadmill. I noticed they were in pain.

The whole thing lasted 2 hours. Apparently, they’ll be doing this every M-W-F. Afterwards, coach drank his protein and nutrient shake and shared some with his athletes. Then he sent them home to sleep.

Nice guy, but I still think he’s insane.[/quote]

Wow, that’s pretty intense. Two of those workouts a day is pretty intense, let alone all four. Props for the coach and his athletes. The coaching doing 20 rep squats with 315 is awesome!

On the ASET (burpees/pullups), were they alternating groups of reps (5 burpees, 5 pullups, 5 burpees, etc.) or using straight sets for a period of time (one minute each, two minutes each, etc)?

They alternated. They did the same thing EDT would recommend.

Hello,I am a HS football coach.We do Tough 20’s once per week.Each week the player adds 5lbs from the week before if he got all 20 reps.The racks are pre set and you go to your rack.This saves time from changing weight.If they do not go low enough the rep does not count.Great team builder and it builds mental toughness as well.I got this from a book called"Super Squat".The tough 20’s are fast and it helpds build other areas of growth that come with squatting.I had a player do 350 lb’s for 20 reps.He is now a first year Marine.It gets heavy quick once you find the starting point.We usually go with a weight a player can do for 10 reps as a warmup and adjust from there.Thanks GC

Hello again. Yesterday, the athletes trained again. Nobody fainted this time, but they didn’t increase their 20-rep squat poundages. However, their conditioning noticeably improved.

So I decided to do the entire workout myself minus the ASET. The 3 things I did were a lot easier than I expected.

I did yesterday’s workout again today, and I must say that there was a noticeable improvement in my conditioning as well. Later that day, I watched the athletes do it again, and they seem to be getting used to it.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Incidentally, he’s a former sprinter-turned-bodybuilder who loves 20-rep squats (his legs are huge). I think he walked the walk, but he’s insane for letting some college athletes do that.[/quote]

I’d agree. 20 reps squats are good for hypertrophy, but not that great for strength. And yes, I did try the program.

Get a prowler, they work very well.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
How can anyone do 20 rep squats with their 10 rep max??[/quote]

Basically you rest pause it. What you think you can do for 10, you do pause reps and suck in extra breaths of air between reps. so it’s not really a ten rep max, but whatever.

I tried them after I was training awhile and saw my 20 rep weight increase, but my top end didn’t and it did nothing for my speed.