20 Rep Squats: Eating Question

Besides the Gallon of Milk how many calories should I be taking in from other sources… I only weigh 145-150 lbs ( at 6’2" ), and the milk alone would be enough to maintain me… Should I shoot for 2500 calories from food, plus the 2500 ish from milk? That would have me taking in 5000 calories a day… Also… is gaining 20-30 lbs of relatively lean bodyweight really feasible over the course of 6 weeks on this program?.

20-30 lbs in 6 weeks? No, not possible. Everybody is different so you’re gonna have to figure out how many calories you need. Personally, I gain weight easily so I don’t need a lot of excess calories to gain weight.

Pick a number to start with, say 3500 calories total daily intake. Eat that for a couple weeks and see what happens. If you gain weight then you’re good. If you get fat then cut the calories a bit. If you don’t gain weight then up the calories to say 4000 and give it another two weeks. repeat.

I would suggest to gauge your gains by strength rather then weight.

If you’ve had trouble gaining weight in the past, which I’m assuming is why you’re doing this program, eat what you would normally eat, plus the gallon of milk.

Im starting this program to I just got the super sguats book and have been reading it.PM me about your gains and I will do the same.

[quote]The-Protector wrote:
Besides the Gallon of Milk how many calories should I be taking in from other sources… I only weigh 145-150 lbs ( at 6’2" ), and the milk alone would be enough to maintain me… Should I shoot for 2500 calories from food, plus the 2500 ish from milk? That would have me taking in 5000 calories a day… Also… is gaining 20-30 lbs of relatively lean bodyweight really feasible over the course of 6 weeks on this program?.[/quote]

slow down there bud… first off, congratz on realizing that its nice to have something between your skin and your bone. second, i personally believe its not worth downing a gallon of milk a day until you gain weight. it’ll most def put some lbs on, but its not the right way to go.

start with 500 calories over your RMR. start eating meals more frequently. train hard. and as the weeks progress, start piling on the cold cuts and grilled meats and veggies etc etc etc. you’ll just naturally feel yourself feeling hungry more often.

I would suggest about 3,500 calories as a foundation, then go up or down(probably up) from there

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
The-Protector wrote:
Besides the Gallon of Milk how many calories should I be taking in from other sources… I only weigh 145-150 lbs ( at 6’2" ), and the milk alone would be enough to maintain me… Should I shoot for 2500 calories from food, plus the 2500 ish from milk? That would have me taking in 5000 calories a day… Also… is gaining 20-30 lbs of relatively lean bodyweight really feasible over the course of 6 weeks on this program?.

slow down there bud… first off, congratz on realizing that its nice to have something between your skin and your bone. second, i personally believe its not worth downing a gallon of milk a day until you gain weight. it’ll most def put some lbs on, but its not the right way to go.

start with 500 calories over your RMR. start eating meals more frequently. train hard. and as the weeks progress, start piling on the cold cuts and grilled meats and veggies etc etc etc. you’ll just naturally feel yourself feeling hungry more often.

[/quote]

LOL this dude knows what he is talking about. 20-30 lbs can be gained but most likely if it’s done fast it will be a lot of fat. downing a gallon of milk a day is a great way to develop a milk allergy. get more calories from healthy fat (nuts, olive/canola oil, eggs, lean(er) cuts of meat). also do what he said and start with 500 cals over rmr. don’t know what your rmr is? just search for a calc on google. good luck. and try not throw up after 20 rep squats.

I’ve been drinking a gallon a day for about a year and a half and have no milk allergies.

I won’t deny that i put on some fat but thats partly because of the mountains of pasta and the chocolate syrup.
I no longer do this, I now eat mostly meat cheese veggies fruit and peanut butter, and still drink about a half gallon a day… I’m losing fat.

If the OP is one of those people, like I used to be, who thinks he already eats a ton, and “just can’t gain weight.” something extreme like a gallon of milk a day is what he needs to rewire his brain into learning to eat.

just my two cents

Also, milk has been shown to increase appetite, some chemical in there.

At 6’2 150lbs I think this guy needs to eat a shitload even if his goal is to walk around at normal BMI.

Eat what you normally eat, but add the gallon as extra. With the effort that the 20-rep squats demand, you will NEED the extra calories anyway. Also, the 20-reps thing is a 6-week shocker, you need a plan afterwards.

It’s pretty much up to you, but try to find/make up a BASIC plan. The only thing I can really suggest here is to buy a book (like Starting Strength, for example) or find a crew/mentor and follow or read NOTHING ELSE for the next 6 months.

The advice that comes from a good book or real, experienced people is much more valuable than that from us, random forum people.

After that you should be sitting at around 200 pounds, a much more normal weight for you. And with the added experience you should also have a better idea of what you have and want to do.

At any rate, good luck!

I added a good 8 pounds in 4 weeks of 20-rep squats by drinking a gallon of milk per day and eating whatever for the rest of my food intake.

Went from about 165 at 5’11 to 173.

I suggest something like Westside or WS4SB once you are done with 20 rep squats.

Question:
What’s with the gallon of milk?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Question:
What’s with the gallon of milk?[/quote]

Easy and cheap calories, lots of protein, increases appetite, for people who think they eat a lot, its a good way of getting in a hell of a lot more calories without feeling like they’ve drastically increased their food intake.

Its basically the cure for the common hardgainer.

Any side/negative effects?

I drink about 2+ gallons a week and would be hard pressed to drink more… its a good filler but wow… 1 gal a day? yeesh.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Any side/negative effects?[/quote]

If you are or if you become allergic to it.

I’m not advocating this year round, just as something for people first learning to take in extra calories. Because it is difficult when one is used to eating like a bird to suddenly increase calories to the amount necessary to put on weight. Milk makes it a lot easier. Then once your appetite catches up, you can replace it with solid food.

Would eating 4-5000 calories of solid food be better than eating 2500 of solid plus a gallon of milk, probably, in fact, almost definately. But when you’re used to eating 1500 calories cuz you’re a scrawny 120 pounder at six feet, its a lot easier do drink most of your new calories than to eat them.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Any side/negative effects?[/quote]

I should also add stinky milk breath.

And milk farts.

And milk shits…

[quote]DoubleSidedTape wrote:
And milk farts.
[/quote]
Yes.

[quote]
And milk shits…[/quote]
I’m sorry to hear that.