20 Rep Squat Low Bar or High Bar?

So I have done 20 rep high bar squat and I love it as much as I hate it, as far as gains go though, I love it. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to switch off low bar (might use belt just so lower back doesn’t get too destroyed on low bar) and high squat to work most of my lower body. or should I just stick to high bar for 20 reps, and low bar for low reps.

The book “Super Squats” originally prescribed low bar, so you should be fine. Ultimately, it’s just bar placement. It really doesn’t matter.

Thanks for the response but i was wondering if i did 20 reps 2 days a week and did low bar one day and high bar the next time that week would that be better than just doing one style

As I said; it’s just bat placement. It really doesn’t matter one way or the other. Do what you like.

I have never done a high bar squats in my life and I get along fine. Some folks can say the same about low bar.

Odds are you’re stronger with one style over the other, which means you’d be using two different weights throughout the week, which makes progress trickier than the standard “add 10 pounds each workout”. So alternating styles each session wouldn’t be the best call.

what’s this high bar/low bar stuff everybody’s talking about?

I actually prefer a very low bar position. I set the weights on the ground in front of meinstead of putting the bar on my back. Then I reach down and grab the bar, and squat up to a standing position. I call it an extra-low-bar-knee-bending-front-squat-thrust. It’s a new thing.

I always knew those as “reverse hack squats” myself.

At least, it’s what I called them when the gym I was training at banned deadlifts.

2 Likes

I would probably only increase by 5 lbs. a workout. I am Just thinking that i would want to work my glutes/hams hard one day and quads hard the next workout. This is just kind of my “expirement” so i guess we’ll see how it works

What dumbass gym bans deadlifts

College gym that wasn’t really equipped for them. Considering it was free (well…it came with the tuition), it wasn’t really my place to complain.

a whole lot of gyms ban deadlifts. Most commercial gyms do, from my experience. I believe I’ve left 4 gyms because they stopped letting me deadlift.

The reasoning, generally, is that they don’t want people being hard on equipment, and the general membership as a whole does not appreciate the dude who deadlifts. Since he’s in the minority, gym owners/managers often see fit to remove this person. You have to remember, most gyms, especially commercial gyms, are more business-oriented that they are fitness-oriented. Maximizing profit is the only thing that truly matters.

I was talking to a dude who manages a very big and very expensive gym. It’s a really popular commercial chain here, and the gyms are awesome. Heated outdoor pools, 15 tennis courts type thing.

He was saying the chain are planning on having no dumbbells over 30k, banning deadlifts, and just generally making the place really bodybuilder unfriendly.

The reasoning is that bodybuilders just aren’t cost effective. They use the gym more than any other type of member but spend the least money when they’re there.

Makes sense from a business standpoint but kind of a bummer for us jacked and tan folks