20 Rep Set Squats

You’ll only be able to add five pounds each time for a limited time. But, yeah, you can really add a lot of weight. I’ve done it with the deadlift and went from 225 to 390.

[quote]dl- wrote:
wait wait wait…I can do 195lbs for 25 reps and its not that bad, but like…as someone said before if you do 185lbs for 20 reps, over 6 weeks when you add 5-10lbs to the bar over then by the 6th week you’ll have 240lbs for 20 reps. I dont wanna say. THAT’LL NEVER WORK…but I’m a bit skeptical as if it would…because if it will work…then holy god damn I’m doing that…but I still do doubt that you would increase it by that much because thats like…ultimate strength right there lol

dl-[/quote]

If you’re doing the classic breathing method, then 1. If you can even think of doing another, you didn’t do the first one right.

[quote]Myosin wrote:
how many sets of 20 would be effective? 2, 3?
[/quote]

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
You’ll only be able to add five pounds each time for a limited time. But, yeah, you can really add a lot of weight. I’ve done it with the deadlift and went from 225 to 390.

dl- wrote:
wait wait wait…I can do 195lbs for 25 reps and its not that bad, but like…as someone said before if you do 185lbs for 20 reps, over 6 weeks when you add 5-10lbs to the bar over then by the 6th week you’ll have 240lbs for 20 reps. I dont wanna say. THAT’LL NEVER WORK…but I’m a bit skeptical as if it would…because if it will work…then holy god damn I’m doing that…but I still do doubt that you would increase it by that much because thats like…ultimate strength right there lol

dl-

[/quote]

Alright so wait…naturalnate went from 225 to 390 just from using that method!!!..How long did it take you to get that number using that method nate? Also what other increase in numbers over a period/cycle of using the 20 rep squat method??

dl-

I can’t get the specific date but it took me roughly two years. I cycled the old fashioned way. I started with 225 and kept adding 5 pounds week after week until I burned out. Then I’d drop 30 or so pounds and start over, getting a higher peak every time.

I think 10 sets of 3 is a better idea and I’ll be using that an a week or so. With the amount of rest I was taking between reps, the 20-rep “set” I was doing and the 10x3 method are actually quite similar.

[quote]dl- wrote:

Alright so wait…naturalnate went from 225 to 390 just from using that method!!!..How long did it take you to get that number using that method nate? Also what other increase in numbers over a period/cycle of using the 20 rep squat method??

dl-[/quote]

[quote]rholdnr wrote:
ipjunkie wrote:
I wonder how well this would work using front squats instead of back squats?

Anyone tried it before?

I have and it’s a whole other animal. Instead of your lower back quiting on you, it’s your abs and obliques. And the amount of meat it puts on your vastus medialis is insane. Try it :)[/quote]

I just may. I’ve been doing Front Squats instead of back squats as I find them easier on my lower back. My quads are growing like crazy too.

[quote]Myosin wrote:
[/quote]
Just ONE!!! (1)

I do it sometimes after some lay off…
I start concervatively and do it, depending on the split,1-2x week.
When I reach 20 reps with 150-150 kg (220-232 lb) with no breathing, just straight 20 movements, it’s time to change it! :slight_smile:

Do not stay onm it for longer than 6 weeks MAX

[quote]FairDo wrote:
Myosin wrote:

Just ONE!!! (1)

When I reach 20 reps with 150-150 kg (220-232 lb) with no breathing, just straight 20 movements, it’s time to change it! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

First of all I think you meant 100-150 kg (220-330 lbs). And second, Randall Strossen told me that if your still making progress on the program than no one can tell you when to stop (even if by some freak of physics you can keep going for, oh, let’s say, 4 months).

First of all I think you meant 100-150 kg (220-330 lbs). And second, Randall Strossen told me that if your still making progress on the program than no one can tell you when to stop (even if by some freak of physics you can keep going for, oh, let’s say, 4 months).[/quote]

actually some time past already…

thanks for that… I made some boobu there… I go by Kgs, so stick to it without trying to make it look better in lbs…
I meant 140-150 kg - that’s 4 plates on each side (+ a little bit on a good day) for 20 reps.