T Nation

20 Rep FRONT Squats

Has anyone ever tried this? Is it safe? Do you think it would be effective? What are your thoughts on this?

I don’t think it would be as effective as doing it the other way. The weight used would be less, and it would mean less spinal loading.

People were doing this back around 2005-2006ish or so when front squats became in vogue around the internet. I also remember someone doing a front squat smolov.

Okay. I thought it might work the arms a little more. That was my only thinking.

DEAR GOD WHY!?

[quote]dj20 wrote:
Okay. I thought it might work the arms a little more. That was my only thinking.[/quote]

Using front squats to work the arms seems really inefficient. Honestly, the arm work comes later in the program, the squats themselves are more just to facilitate growth, since it’s INSANE time under tension for the entire body.

I guess my wrists would hurt if I were gonna do 20 reps of front squats, but why not try and tell us how it works. Sounds pretty tough lol.

[quote]dj20 wrote:
Okay. I thought it might work the arms a little more. That was my only thinking.[/quote]

Where did you get that any rep scheme of front squats would work the arms??

20-rep front squats would not really do anything for you as far as I’m concerned!!!

I wasn’t sure if they worked the arms or not. That’s why I asked.

sounds like a powerful way to get a massive back

The ability to keep a strong rack position would be deciding factor here. I know my legs and core could easily do high reps (105kg x31 back squat was fun), but i couldn’t hold the front squat rack for that.

Sounds brutal. I’m not so sure it would do a lot for your total… but it sure would fry your upper back and touch upon your legs a little. Why not give it a try. I mean with any luck you’re going to have plenty of time to train in the future for specializaion if you want to be really competitive. Hell, take a vid and tell us how it goes if you want.

Just make sure your wrist, elbows, and shoulders stay health which in part means making sure their all mobile.

It sounds like a slow and painful death of your rhomboids/traps. Do it and come back to us in a few weeks.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
The ability to keep a strong rack position would be deciding factor here. I know my legs and core could easily do high reps (105kg x31 back squat was fun), but i couldn’t hold the front squat rack for that. [/quote]

Ya the upper back would probably be the inhibiting factor way before your core and legs got anything out of it.

Look, just about anything you do which kills you will help something…it all depends upon what your goals are. For overall body strength back squats over front.

It’s hard enough to breathe front squatting for 8 reps… 20 sounds like torture.

IMO the only good high rep front squat option is the Tabata method, ie 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, for 8 rounds.

In a true 20-rep set, where you start rest pausing around rep 10 - 12, your rhomboids and upper back musculature are going to fatigue before your legs. This is why Poliquin recommends staying under 8 reps per set on front squats.

the reason why this isn’t an issue when employing the Tabata method is because you are using a very light load so your upper back isn’t going to fail.