T Nation

20 Pound Challenge

In the city where I work a local radio station began holding 3-month contest with the focus on who can lose the most weight in that time-frame. If you lose the most weight you get a huge prize, free memberships etc. to the sponsoring gym. If you hit the 20lb mark you also win a free 3-month membership. It’s a good way of getting the community motivated, but:

1. The guy that won this round lost 48.7 lbs in 3-months. The round before it he lost another 40. So in 6-months this guy has lost almost 90lbs.

2. He has been training 2x a day, 6 days a week. He does 1hr of cardio in the morning and then lifts after work. He also works with the PT during each workout especially during his lifting.

There have been other contestants who have done the same kind of thing. It’s a great idea but this rate of weight loss cannot be good on the body. I’m sure his nutrition. The cals this guy said he is taking in are maybe 1500-2000 per day. This doesn’t support his activity level at all. The majority of his cals are carbs.

It just seems ridiculous to me. If they are going to do this, they should do it right.

[quote]winchell_j wrote:
In the city where I work a local radio station began holding 3-month contest with the focus on who can lose the most weight in that time-frame. If you lose the most weight you get a huge prize, free memberships etc. to the sponsoring gym. If you hit the 20lb mark you also win a free 3-month membership. It’s a good way of getting the community motivated, but:

1. The guy that won this round lost 48.7 lbs in 3-months. The round before it he lost another 40. So in 6-months this guy has lost almost 90lbs.

2. He has been training 2x a day, 6 days a week. He does 1hr of cardio in the morning and then lifts after work. He also works with the PT during each workout especially during his lifting.

There have been other contestants who have done the same kind of thing. It’s a great idea but this rate of weight loss cannot be good on the body. I’m sure his nutrition. The cals this guy said he is taking in are maybe 1500-2000 per day. This doesn’t support his activity level at all. The majority of his cals are carbs.

It just seems ridiculous to me. If they are going to do this, they should do it right.[/quote]

I think you are jumping the gun. If the guy was extremely obese, it is very common for them to see massive weight loss that someone much smaller wouldn’t be able to tolerate once they quit eating so much junk and start training. To start, if the guy had 90lbs to lose in the first place, he was obviously pretty damn heavy if not in life threatening condition in the first place.

The rules do not apply the same to all people.

Prof X -

I probably did jump the gun on this one. I’m not sure what the guys stats were before and after, but I’ll see if I can find more info on him. I still give him props for being so dedicated at making a life change like he did and sticking with it.

I probably stated my opinion a little too boldly. I wasn’t trying to knock the guy down or his trainer because obviously they were doing something right. Everything just sounded too extreme to healthy for this guy, even if he was heavy to begin with.

I’ll think things through a little more before I post something like this again just to make sure I don’t sound like an a** like I do in this post.