T Nation

20 Minute Muscle Progression Tweaks

First off this is neat little program youve come up with. I'm sure you're tired of hearing ideas for modifications to it, but this one straightforward.

For my purposes, I think its best to train the lifts with technique that gives me the biggest mechanical disadvantage and go a little lighter. SO, i've been using Snatch Grip deadlifts, deadstop barbell rows, close-grip incline bench (focusing on pressing the bar from as low on the chest as possible.

As a consequence, my starting weights are relatively low, but I am also progressing quickly. So, my 20 rep set is looking to overtake the weights on the 5-rep set for some lifts within a few more cycles.

My idea was every time I hit 20 reps on the last set, I would adjust the weights in two successive segments. First I would adjust the 80%+ sets while continuing to hit 20 reps on the last set in the next session. The when I feel comfortable with the next step, adjust all the weights as prescribed by the program. So the net increase on all sets would be equal

For example:
Monday
215 x 5
235 x 1
245 x 1
185 x 20
Wednesday
225 x 5
245 x 1
255 x 1
185 x 20 (if i don't get all 20 this time, the wednesday workout would be repeated again friday)
Friday (if possible)
235 x 5
255 x 1
265 x 1
205 x 15-20

As long as my progress is still limited by the 20 rep set, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?