T Nation

20-Minute Muscle Builder

Hi CT,

I'm looking to start the 20-Minute Muscle Builder program you wrote about here:
https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/20-minute-muscle-builder

I'm curious if there's anyway to work squats into the program?

Thanks,
Chris

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Hi CT,

I’m looking to start the 20-Minute Muscle Builder program you wrote about here:

I’m curious if there’s anyway to work squats into the program?

Thanks,
Chris [/quote]
Hey you, if you are planning to do the program as written, (not two a day training), I read on Facebook that CT recommends you can add squats to bench day with the same progression. This would extend training time though.

I am planning to do 2 a day training though, and then it gets more complicated. I plan to do this for deadlifts (cause going heavy deadlifts 6 times a week is insane):

And I wonder, can I do the exact same progression for squats? I plan to replace bench with squats, and train some lagging body parts on saturday (a quick 45 min session). I don’t think my body can handle benching and overhead pressing 6times a week and I don’t have time for extended workouts during the weekdays. Or do you have a better plan for training the squat 4 days in a row CT?

[quote]Lifta101 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Hi CT,

Thanks,
Chris [/quote]
Hey you, if you are planning to do the program as written, (not two a day training), I read on Facebook that CT recommends you can add squats to bench day with the same progression. This would extend training time though. [/quote]

Ya, planning to do it as written. So just add squats to bench day, don’t remove anything?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Lifta101 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Hi CT,

Thanks,
Chris [/quote]
Hey you, if you are planning to do the program as written, (not two a day training), I read on Facebook that CT recommends you can add squats to bench day with the same progression. This would extend training time though. [/quote]

Ya, planning to do it as written. So just add squats to bench day, don’t remove anything?
[/quote]
Yep

Really awesome way of lifting this program

I wonder how you guys keep it under 20’ tho

I need at the very least 10’ warming up, more like 15. Was in a hurry on my first day doing deadlifts, tried the 2/3 warmup sets before going heavy and doing the 15+ reps on top of that. Not a good idea.

Personally I do deadlifts like this: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/deadlift_friend_or_foe

Less stressfull for the body and you can get within 10 minutes including warmups aslong as warmups doesn’t take 1 min :). Results may differ though.

Doing 20 reps with 60% (185) was easy and then 60% +20lb (205) felt good too (though the last 2 reps gave me a headache)

But I could not beat my record of 15reps with 60%+40lb (225). I didn’t expect to reach 20reps straight away, and the slight headache had come back during the previous sets so I was feeling like hell after rep 11-12 aha.

I didn’t wanna spend too much time breathing between reps. Stopped trying adding reps after I began pausing for 5+ breathes. Here is the video:

Are sets like that acceptable? Considering overall rhythm, and trying to manage breath/not go too quickly in the beginning etc

[quote]tontongg wrote:
Are sets like that acceptable? [/quote]
Iknow you asked something different, but I couldn’t help myself noticing how forward your knees travel on the way down; when you reach the bottom, your weight is on your tiptoe (not sure, but it looks like your heel come off the floor).

Try pushing your butt back (your torse will bend a bit more, but it’s fine), and keep the weight on your mid-foot.

Wow definitely. Thank you for that critique. For some reason I assume it was magically fixed going from flat shoes to Adidas powers, it might actually highlight it. Now raising the heels with the higher sole I understand why I had this weird new Feeling of going forward on some reps. I didn’t get it.

Only other video I have on my phone is a front squat, heels don’t move, and it’s as high as 95% of my back squat. Guess one is done much better than the other… This explains that

Edit : the more I read it, the more I feel like I would benefit from the 915, hammering those weak points. Today I saw that my deadlift isn’t great from the floor and I should work on it. Same with bench off the chest etc. will probably do 2 more weeks of 20-minutes, and do the switch