20, Male, European - Low T

-height
6’2-6’3

-waist
92cm (36.2 inches)

-weight
~85kg (187lbs)

-describe body and facial hair
My neck is of a normal size, as are my ankles. Shoulder width is I would say normal, to probably a bit above average, as is my chest. My forearms however are genetically quite bad and thin. Wrists are thin at approximately 7 inches. I was underweight and very skinny before I start lifting weights, which is probably a result of a fast metabolism and low T (naturally low amounts of muscle mass). The only exception to this is that I’ve tended to have decent sized legs in terms of mass and strength, although I believe that’s likely to be more the result of sport.

At 20 years old, turning 21 soon, I really don’t have much facial hair at all. I reached puberty late and then had a “second puberty” where I grew a lot more when I was about 17-18. I hair about my upper lip, a small amount under my bottom lip, some near my side burns (but not much), and a little bit near my chin.

I’ve also got pubertal gyno (puffy nipples) and got bad acne at 17, before going on accutane. Shit was all over my back and face, out of no where. Like I said, a second, worse puberty. I don’t believe I can fix the gyno now without an operation. Some thoughts on this too would be good. I have always felt my gyno and acne showed signs of some kind of hormonal imbalance.

-describe where you carry fat and how changed
Mostly just around my waist and stomach, however also a bit around my legs I think.

-health conditions, symptoms [history]
Constantly feel pretty tired, even after a good night’s sleep. Poor concentration. Slow gains in the gym despite excellent diet and sleeping patterns.

-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever
– real dangers! see this http://propeciahelp.com/overvi
Accutane, and then finasteride to deal with sides from Accutane.

-lab results with ranges
I haven’t done enough tests so far, in my opinion. This is just what the doctor did when I asked to have my hormones checked. I’ll probably go in for another based on the recommendations of this website and the stickies.

Prolactin (Roche ECLIA) - 7,1ug/l (4-15)
Testosterone - 3,3ug/l (2,49-8,36)
Sex hormone-binding globulin - 28nmol/l (16,5-55,9)
“Quotient Testo” / SHBG (FAI) - 40% (35-93)

Androstenedione - 1,7ug/l (1,36-4,35)
Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate - 2,1mg/l (2,1-4,9)
Free Thyroxine, FT4 - 16pmol/l (12-22)
Free Triiodothyronine, FT3 - 4,98pmol/l (3,1-6,8)
Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) - 1,66mlU/l (0,4-3,8)
Immunoglobulin E (IgE, FEIA) - 8,5kU/l

-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets]

Generally plenty of meat, fruit, I take AOR Ortho-Core multis and fish oil, salad most nights at dinner and some vegetables. Sorry if this is too vague, I’m not too sure what to write. I would say it’s in order though. I don’t drink sugary drinks, chocolates or any of that. Though I do love English Breakfasts, French toast, and Omelettes. Plenty of water too.

-describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training]

Four day split: Back, Chest, Legs, Arms & Shoulders.
Stretching and foam rolling once a week.

-testes ache, ever, with a fever?

No

-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed

I’ve never really had them, to be honest. I remember getting them when I was a lot younger, but not so much since my teens. Could this be related to fapping? I don’t do it much, but I’d be willing to go on a long no fap to test the theory.

Read the advice for new guys sticky.

No tests for E2/estrodiol ?? <<< this could be the problem. Read estrodiol why it matters sticky. You could be estrogen dominant

Post more labs, in the stickies it tells you what to test

DHEA-s is low. Read this. DheA is precursor the sex hormones http://www.buzzle.com/articles/low-dhea-causes-and-symptoms.html

sounds like your stressed, try to manage this and get control of it…
Adrenals fatigue or some sort of adrenal problem could be a factor… So could many things :slight_smile:

There is a lot to learn here just by reading other threads and doing searches.

Peace

Thank you for the fast response. I have read the stickies, this was just the very first test I got from my doctor, and when I saw some of the values (particularly overall T), I thought something wasn’t right. The point of my that post was to have someone identify whether something -could- be wrong, and if there is a reasonable suspicion of that, then to go ahead and get more of the recommended tests done. I just don’t want to waste my money for nothing!

It’s interesting what you posted about DHEA, as I do seem to suffer from quite a few of those symptoms. I get the impression from your response that you’d recommend getting more tests done?

By the way, I should say that I’m not stressed at all. In fact, I’m the total opposite. Nothing seems to stress or annoy me.

I do plan on doing more research on this, as the stickies really are just the beginning and I hope to be very informed before I (possibly) go shooting up with all sorts of hormones.

And regarding all of the various hormones listed in the stickies, is it possible to just go and get all of them tested if I bring a big list? Or is there some kind of limit? Sorry for all the questions.

Where are you from? Is money a factor?

And no problem :slight_smile: I am a regular guy with problems of my own so I get it.

You are right not to jump into anything, if one doctor won’t hep you figure out the problem find another one…

If money isn’t an issue and can pay out of pocket get what you can from the doc and pay for labs at lef.org

It would be good to test LH and FSH to see if you have primary or secondary hypogonadism.

Do need E2, a needed diagnostic to try to identify your low T status

Check your body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormones look quite good. If body temperatures are low, we can suspect that rT3 is elevated and the other typical associations. This might also explain your lack of energy and feeling tired. Your feeling tired could also be from low cortisol. You should have AM cortisol tested, at 8 AM after a normal nights sleep. No coffee prior to that lab or training.

Your low DHEA at your age suggests adrenal insufficiency. That could also relate to elevated rT3 and possible adrenal fatigue.

You may have 5-alpha reductase inhibitor syndrome on top of whatever else.

Do you have dry skin, brittle nails or hair? Feel cold easily?

Basic labs such as CBC, fasting glucose, cholesterol, liver markers AST/ALT would be useful.

Do you have cholesterol data. Low cholesterol is a problem. Suggested reading: