T Nation

20, Low Test, Low SHBG, Low Free Test

Hi All,

Height: 170cm
Waist: 32’
Weight: 81kg
Body/Facial Hair: Average hair growth on face, only a few patches, slightly thinner on one side. Overall a hairy person, hair on my body has been growing a little slower than in my teens. Male pattern baldness is setting in.
Fat carriage/areas: love handles, lower abdomen and inner thigh.
Health conditions:
Multiple shoulder/ankle surgeries
Cyst removal from testicular ventricle
Lumbar spondylosis very far along for my age
Always feel tired/no energy
Very short temper/irritable
Cant remember the last time I had morning wood
Masturbation is now a routine thing, or out of boredom.
No urge to seek out sexual relations
Rx and OTC drugs:
Used painkillers in the past (post surgery)
No previous AAS or peptide usage
Was occasional weed smoker in 2014
Lab results with ranges:
Test - 9.9 nmol/L (6.0-28.0)
SHBG - 14 nmol/L (15-50)
Free Test - 289 pmol/L (200-600)

Total Chol - 5.1 nmol/L (<5.6)
HDL - 1.1 nmol/L (>1)
LDL - 3.5 nmol/L (<2.5)
Non-HDL 4.0 nmol/L (<3.9)

Trigylceride 1.1 nmol/L (<2)

HAEMOGLOBIN - 150 g/L (130-180)
RBC - 4.97
PCV - 0.47 (0.4-0.55)
MCV - 95 (80-90)
MCHC - 318 (310-360)
RDW - 13.2 (11-15)
WCC - 7.5 (4-11)
Neutrophils - 4.3 (2-8)
Lymphocytes - 2.3 (1-4)
Monocytes - 0.7 (<1.1)
Eosinophils - 0.1 (<0.6)
Basophils - 0.0 (<0.3)
Plateletes - 322 (150-450)

Oestradiol - 127 pmol/L (<150)

TSH - 1.27 mIU/L (0.50-5.00)

Sodium - 141 (135-145)
Potassium - 5.2 (3.5-5.2)
Chloride - 104 (95-110)
Bicarbonate - 29 (22-32)
Urea - 5.6 (2.5-8.0)
Creatinine - 110 (60-110)
eGFR - 83 (>59)
T.Protein - 80 (60-82)
Albumin - 46 (35-50)
Globumin - 34 (23-39)
ALP - 90 (30-120)
Bilirubin - 12 (<25)
GGT - 20 (<51)
AST - 38 (<41)
ALT - 29 (<51)

Recently had some bloodwork done, upon getting results, a few alarm bells went off in my head as a few things didn’t look too good. Doc said in my follow up appointment that all my results were ''Perfect" apart from some high LDL Chol.In saying that, I’ll layout my endocrinology results. (Would post picture but unable to).

With all this in mind, was he correct in saying my results are ‘‘Perfect’’, or should I seek out a second opinion. My age and those numbers just doesnt add up to a ‘‘Perfect’’ result in all the research I am doing.

Any help if any would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Our initial profiles are very similar. I’m 36 though. Your at 285 ng/dl. I was at 293 ng/dl. Your shbg is 14. Mine was 17. I’m 8 weeks into my trt therapy and loving it.

You have the hormones levels of most 90 year old men! Your doctor failed to account for age related testosterone levels, this doctor lacks the knowledge to help you. You are at risk for serious life threatening diseases with testosterone this low, heart diseases and cardiovascular diseases!

You need to find a competent doctor who specializes in male hormones, this quack doctor need to be put in his place, at the bottom. Numbers are perfect? Where are those thyroid hormones labs? Most doctors will fail at understanding male hormones.

what kind of regimen you follow with such low SHBG? EOD?

That’s a good start, perhaps ED if EOD proves unsuccessful. If your fT3 thyroid hormones are low that could account for low SHBG, do you get cold easily? Take morning temperatures upon waking and between 12-2 pm using glass thermometer, need to be 97.7 upon waking and 98.6 mid afternoon.

I guess I will be on the hunt for another doctor, also might be worth getting a second set of bloods to confirm everything.

If it did come to it, im not even sure trt could be an option, its not that widely used here in Australia, especially in someone as young as myself.

TRT in Australia is difficult but not impossible, it all depends on how badly you want to live. Young people can’t have hormone problems to? You’re 20 years old, you should be at the peak of your life, but you’re not.

I started with every 3.5 days. Monday morning and Thursday evening. 50 mg each day. I’m still on that protocol. My SHBG came up to 20.6 on my last blood draw. I’m assuming it’s following my estrogen up. It took about three weeks to get used to it and for my plasma levels to stabilize but I feel great on this protocol.

What’s your status boss? Any progress made?

I saw another doctor and was referred to an endocrinologist. I pretty much got told they couldn’t do anything for me at this point in time. It wasn’t quite low enough to take any action, but he did note it was dangerously low for my age. He wants me to get more blood tests, this time covering some of the things the last ones did not show. Bit unfortunate really, kind of wanted something wrong with me, as a means of blaming it on low test, but I guess I just got unlucky. Anyway, hopefully the second round of tests can bring an explanation to the table.

Get those oral body temps as requested above 18 days ago and also below. Do not be selective about things that you pay attention to.

Please also discuss your use of iodized salt. You need the iodine to have decent thyroid function.

MCV=95 [80-90] Do you have digestive problems? Heart burn?

Low SHBG can just be that way, but seen more often in diabetics so you should have fasting glucose and/or A1C lab work.

As a follow up on your low T, you should test:
LH/FSH
prolactin

Free testosterone changes a lot and any one result does not provide strong guidance unless very low or strong. TT is a better indicator.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re Thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab numbers and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.