20 Grams of Protein Per Sitting

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Not shenanigans, but drawing conclusions that in fact do not follow.[/quote]

Probably much more appropriate…I just wanted to use the word “shenanigans.”

Honestly, how many times do you get to say it? Like once every 6 months?

Some moms may find daily use, I suppose. But for example, I might never have used it. Certainly rarely if ever.

i wonder if there are any large bodybuilders well in the 200+lbs range that had relatively small protein intake as suggested here like ~200g.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
I swear to God, I’ll pistol whip the next guy that says ‘shenanigans!’[/quote]

Man I love that movie.
Once I was having sex with this girl and the movie came on, so I stopped and watched the whole thing. She was confused. She thought she did something wrong or something, so after the movie she put double the effort. Yeah, that night was pretty awesome.

i wonder if there are any large bodybuilders well in the 200+lbs range that had relatively small protein intake as suggested here like ~200g.

just finished a snack with 60g of protein… this better not be true.

Yeah, I definitely don’t buy any of this. I noticed anazing difference even between 1 gram/lbd and moving itup to 1.5, and bigger still staying between 1.5 and 2 grams/lbs.

Like Dante Trudell has said, if all scientists claimed something didnt work but 300 huge, jacked bodybuilders swear by it, I’ll take their word over a guy in a lab who’s never been in the trenches.

And yes, agreed with the guys earlier on G-Flux also. Huge difference there!

Kubo

how did they define anabolic response? only new tissue growth? tissue repair? its easy to go from 1% anabolic response to 2000% depending on how you define it.

the .3g per lb of body weight was for keeping positive nitrogen balance, key for dieting.

1g per lb of lean mass or at least 1g per lb of lean mass goal always worked well for me get things going one way or the other.

[quote]MikeKubo wrote:

Like Dante Trudell has said, if all scientists claimed something didnt work but 300 huge, jacked bodybuilders swear by it, I’ll take their word over a guy in a lab who’s never been in the trenches.

[/quote]

Sage words.

assuming a majority of those are juiced, they have the advantage of protein synthesis over the rest though.

I dont think the problem lies in the actuel utilization, but in the absorbtion. I am fairly sure that a liquid whey shake on a relatively empty stomach will only be partly digested, and the remainder will be used to feed colonic bacteria. A whole meal with fiber and fat is probably different.

It wouldnt matter if you are a huge juiced bodybuilder or not - gaining 10 inches on your guns doesnt give you an extra foot of small intestine.

-mikael
i’m not sure what you’re getting at, probably because i am missing some information here. care to explain?

i’ve been eating anywhere from 200-350g of protein for the past year every day. and i’ve gained from 198-215 lbs (with a long 'maintenance phase) so I don’t get how some can get bigger and stronger on less protein. but at the same time i have also read a bunch about pulsing your protein intake. I’m going on vacation in a few week and plan to eat less and mainly carbs (grains and fruit) and then come back and see how that translates into my new ‘mass phase’ after vacation.

[quote]MikeKubo wrote:
Yeah, I definitely don’t buy any of this. I noticed anazing difference even between 1 gram/lbd and moving itup to 1.5, and bigger still staying between 1.5 and 2 grams/lbs.

And yes, agreed with the guys earlier on G-Flux also. Huge difference there!

Kubo[/quote]

x2

Those doggcrap guys take in tons of protein and bust ass in the gym, and the results speak for themselves.

Ive been eating 8-10 eggs at a time and meals with an average of 60 grams of protien a sitting…which comes out to 300-350 depending on the day…

Its simply impossible for me to eat 20 grams a meal and get my protein in.

Thats 17 and a half meals a day…If I sleep 8 hours, thats eating MORE than once an hour, in which case the protien absorption thing is a moot point, it takes longer than an hour for protein to be digested anyways.

Completely impossible to do anything else.

People worry too much about this shit, when Im on cycle Ill eat about 400+grams a day in the same number of meals…which is 80-90 grams a meal…

As long as your still gaining, stop trying to optimize all that shit.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
-mikael
i’m not sure what you’re getting at, probably because i am missing some information here. care to explain?[/quote]

Which part? Im basically questioning the notion that all dietary protein is absorbed, because i think there is some evidence that it is not. It could explain why the research show no advantage of anything but a very modest protein intake post workout (like ten grams or so).

Of course, as mentioned already, not all protein is absorbed. There is competition with bacteria.

The errors fall in assuming things such as:

A) Not measuring a higher protein synthesis rate in muscle in the few hours after consuming one amount of protein vs a lesser amount proves that the balance was not absorbed

B) Not measuring a higher protein synthesis rate in muscle in the few hours after consuming one amount of protein vs a lesser amount proves that there no benefit of any kind would be seen long-term with the higher protein consumption

C) Assuming that there is a sharp cutoff such as that while the first 20 g are absorbed efficiently, anything after that is poorly absorbed.

Or going back to the previously-mentioned Darden:

D) Assuming that if the body is in nitrogen balance over a short period of time as closely as can be measured (which is not terribly closely) with a given moderate protein intake, therefore anything past that must have no long-term benefits.

[quote]Joelsopher wrote:
they say the best intake of protein is 20 grams 8 to 10 times a day depending on what your goals are.

thus bringing you to 160+ grams of protein each day…

then again you can eat more than 20 grams of protein in each sitting, some people eat 50 per sitting.[/quote]

They?

Jesus Christ.

There are no FURTHER increases in rate of synthesis. That doesn’t mean that any protein you ingest WON"T be absorbed!

Protein is utilized with near 100% efficiency no matter HOW much you ingest at once. You could ingest 100g in a sitting and it will digest eventually.

The only relevance of this study and a handful of others are the following conclusions:

(1) ingesting <20g of protein in any meal may not make sense if the goal is maximal muscle gain (lol who does this anyway?)
(2) The body may respond better to a “pulse” of aminos vs. , and the amount of protein to maximize synthesis is 20g.

My old coach had some conclusions apparent in his methods months ago related to the above. Having over 20g protein for a meal is good and fine. However, between meals, either BCAAs or 20g whey protein were to be ingested- the idea being that the protein spike would increase the rate of protein synthesis (keep in mind the previous meal is still digesting and that protein is available so as long as total protein requirements are met BCAAs are just as good), which may net additional muscle gain. Or not. There isn’t conclusive evidence either way at this point.