20 and Wanting to Gain Muscle Mass

I’m pretty new to lifting, I’ve been going to the gym on/off for a few months now just getting a feel for my new routine. My “diet” isn’t all that great but I think I’m going to stick with it for a few months and see what gains I get. I’m around 5’11-6’0, and weigh about 157-160. My goal weight is around 185-190, so I got A LOT of work ahead of me lol…

Diet: Morning- 4 eggs (w/ yolk)
Carb rich cereal (ie : cream of wheat, rice crispies)
Whole Wheat Toast w/ peanut butter
Protein Shake

(I’ve read that having a lot of carbs in the morning stops the catabolic process and kickstarts the anabolic)

Meal #2- (Usually at work/school)
          1 can of tuna (great source of protein)
          1 Bananna
          Protein Shake

Meal #3- Protein Shake
          Brazil Nuts/Walnuts
          Peanut Butter

Meal #4- Protein Shake
          Portions of Turkey/Chicken(sometimes in a sandwich)

Meal #5- Chicken breast
          Veggies(peas, carrots etc..)
          Protein Shake

Meal #6- (Last meal before bed)
          Cottage Cheese
          Peanut Butter
          Protein Shake (not always)

My total caloric value throughout the day should be anywhere from 3200-3500ish…
I need to to getting 200+ grams of protein with about the same amount in carbs
Note this is only a rough outline of what I eat, it’s usually a bit different

Supplements:

Right now i’m currently taking ON Whey Protein powder (tastes friggin’ fantastic), GNC Micronized Creatine (5g a day, 2.5g before/after workout), and i WAS taking NO XPLODE before workouts until I found out that it’s nothing but creatine monohydrate and caffeine (which can actually cause your body to go catabolic).

I also take 3000mg of salmon oil(omega 3 fatty acids), 1000mg of vitamin C, Vitamin E oil capsules and a couple other things not really related to building muscle. (My mom is a vitamin nut…haha)

Workout Regimen: I’m mainly focusing on building up my arms…

Check out this site, it’s what i’m using for my gym workouts.

I’d really appreciate if you guys could give any suggestions to aid me in my quest of gaining muscle!!

I’ll attach a few pictures in the next couple days when i get my stupid camera working again :,

Until then, Audious!!

[quote]joshmck1387 wrote:
I’m pretty new to lifting, I’ve been going to the gym on/off for a few months now just getting a feel for my new routine. My “diet” isn’t all that great but I think I’m going to stick with it for a few months and see what gains I get. I’m around 5’11-6’0, and weigh about 157-160. My goal weight is around 185-190, so I got A LOT of work ahead of me lol…

Diet: Morning- 4 eggs (w/ yolk)
Carb rich cereal (ie : cream of wheat, rice crispies)
Whole Wheat Toast w/ peanut butter
Protein Shake

(I’ve read that having a lot of carbs in the morning stops the catabolic process and kickstarts the anabolic)

Meal #2- (Usually at work/school)
          1 can of tuna (great source of protein)
          1 Bananna
          Protein Shake

Meal #3- Protein Shake
          Brazil Nuts/Walnuts
          Peanut Butter

Meal #4- Protein Shake
          Portions of Turkey/Chicken(sometimes in a sandwich)

Meal #5- Chicken breast
          Veggies(peas, carrots etc..)
          Protein Shake

Meal #6- (Last meal before bed)
          Cottage Cheese
          Peanut Butter
          Protein Shake (not always)

My total caloric value throughout the day should be anywhere from 3200-3500ish…
I need to to getting 200+ grams of protein with about the same amount in carbs
Note this is only a rough outline of what I eat, it’s usually a bit different

Supplements:

Right now i’m currently taking ON Whey Protein powder (tastes friggin’ fantastic), GNC Micronized Creatine (5g a day, 2.5g before/after workout), and i WAS taking NO XPLODE before workouts until I found out that it’s nothing but creatine monohydrate and caffeine (which can actually cause your body to go catabolic).

I also take 3000mg of salmon oil(omega 3 fatty acids), 1000mg of vitamin C, Vitamin E oil capsules and a couple other things not really related to building muscle. (My mom is a vitamin nut…haha)

Workout Regimen: I’m mainly focusing on building up my arms…

Check out this site, it’s what i’m using for my gym workouts.

I’d really appreciate if you guys could give any suggestions to aid me in my quest of gaining muscle!!

I’ll attach a few pictures in the next couple days when i get my stupid camera working again :,

Until then, Audious!!

[/quote]

Rippetoes, stronglifts, or madcows is for YOU.

Here are a few general comments.

Regarding your training:
-I just checked out the routine (link) you posted and it is an arm specialization routine.

-Specialization routines are intended for those with a decent base who need to work on their weak points.

-As a beginner your entire body is a weak point, therefore you should opt for a basic/general routine. Either create a more balanced routine or use one of the millions provided on the internet.

Regarding your diet:

-Your protein intake should match your weight gain goal.

-Your calorie intake should match your weight gain goal.

-If your body weight isn’t increasing you must make the necessary adjustments to your diet (ie: eat more).

Final note:
-Seeing how you’re a beginner and will most likely come across a lot of new information regarding diet and training in the near future I want to warn you that no matter how well written a training article may sound or how impressive a calorie estimate formula may be that your actual progress or lack thereof should dictate the decisions you make.

Good luck

you wont be satisfied with 185-190. Im 180-185 and im still not satisfied thats why im making it my GOAL this summer to finally be at a good point. I used to be 130 6ft and then i thought 150 would be good, then 160, then 170, then 180, but no lol.

Your diet looks good enough to grow on.

I second Zep about doing Madcows, Stronglifts, or Rippetoe’s programs for beginners for reasons Sewerhooker mentioned.

In the same vein of measuring progress, make sure to keep a workout log. This’ll show if your gaining strength. Also, every week or two, hop on the scale and see if you’re gaining weight. Tracking progress allows for intelligent decisions to be made.

How do you eat banana and tuna in the same meal? That’s disgusting.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I’ll stick with my routine for 2 more weeks then switch to Rippetoe’s program.

One question though…his program only includes 3 compound movements p/ workout…would I be able to add some more stuff to it? Or should i just stick with the normal plan until i grow?

Great, thanks a lot bro.

I’ll make sure to add photos every couple weeks so you guys can watch my progress.

Thanks again!