2 Years Progress

Fantastic progress. How did you train?

Now that’s something to be proud of. Fucking incredible…

Your commitment and accomplishments here will improve all aspects of your life.

What did your Dad say?

I did mostly 5x5 on the big lifts, and 4x10-12 or 5x12-15 for all accessory lifts. Usually followed a p/p/l split or threw in an extra day for shoulders.

My dad’s been blown away by my progress, especially after I found these old photos.

Now this is exactly what’s called a bulk. THIS IS HOW YOU FUCKING DO IT!

Hard work, genetics and common sense.

Nice work! And you’ve set a great example for others.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Now this is exactly what’s called a bulk. THIS IS HOW YOU FUCKING DO IT!

Hard work, genetics and common sense.

Nice work! And you’ve set a great example for others. [/quote]

Wow! Thanks a lot!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster over here.

That is fantastic progress, good job! I’m impressed, so much that I actually bothered to finally make an account to post this. I’m currently shooting for similar results. I have to tell you, as someone who grew up being morbidly obese, the idea of the traditional “bulk” is honestly rather intimidating. I’d rather have slow and steady, and it’s motivating to see it’s worked out so well for you.

And not that it -really- matters, but what do you estimate your BF % at?

[quote]Mikebox wrote:
the idea of the traditional “bulk” is honestly rather intimidating. [/quote]

That’s because you have a flawed preconception of what a “traditional bulk” is.

The goal is to gain muscle while gaining MINIMAL fat. If you are gaining too much fat, simply lower calories. This is where common sense must be used. And the OP has used it well.

There is not much possiblity of anyone without above average genetics not gaining fat while gaining muscle no matter how little weight you gain per week. Muscle does not grow linearly. It grows in spurts.

If you are in a caloric surplus, you will gain fat. If you stay at the same bodyfat percentage after gaining 40lbs, you would still have gained fat. The idea is to keep it minimal.

Unless you wish to become a mass monster, which would be a different discussion involving a lot of other factors, just use common sense when gaining.

The intent should not be to gain fast and reckless, nor slow and steady, but to gain at the speed YOUR genetics allow you to.

[quote]Mikebox wrote:
Long-time lurker, first-time poster over here.

That is fantastic progress, good job! I’m impressed, so much that I actually bothered to finally make an account to post this. I’m currently shooting for similar results. I have to tell you, as someone who grew up being morbidly obese, the idea of the traditional “bulk” is honestly rather intimidating. I’d rather have slow and steady, and it’s motivating to see it’s worked out so well for you.

And not that it -really- matters, but what do you estimate your BF % at? [/quote]

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I had many of the same qualms about bulking because I didn’t want to gain a lot of fat. But my estimations around around 15% body fat. I’m in the period where it’s fairly difficult to tell how much I have without an official test.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Mikebox wrote:

The goal is to gain muscle while gaining MINIMAL fat. If you are gaining too much fat, simply lower calories. This is where common sense must be used. And the OP has used it well.

The intent should not be to gain fast and reckless, nor slow and steady, but to gain at the speed YOUR genetics allow you to.
[/quote]

Very good points, you two :smiley: thank you!
I’ll see where the bulk takes me. I guess I’m vaguely afraid of being “the fat kid” again. Again, great results and thanks for the input.

[quote]Mikebox wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Mikebox wrote:

[/quote]

Very good points, you two :smiley: thank you!
I’ll see where the bulk takes me. I guess I’m vaguely afraid of being “the fat kid” again. Again, great results and thanks for the input. [/quote]
Good luck with it man.

Seems like this thread has died. I have appreciated all the kind words and compliments, they have definitely made me want to continue this process and I’m glad to be a part of this community.

Awesome work. May I ask you what kind of routine and diet you followed?

[quote]OZJ wrote:
Awesome work. May I ask you what kind of routine and diet you followed? [/quote]

Pretty much just 5x5, and adding in my own assistance work, usually for 4x8-12.

Diet was pretty much eating what I wanted within reason. I avoided crappy foods, but I wasn’t scraping seasoning off of my chicken breasts or anything like that.

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:

[quote]OZJ wrote:
Awesome work. May I ask you what kind of routine and diet you followed? [/quote]

Diet was pretty much eating what I wanted within reason. I avoided crappy foods, but I wasn’t scraping seasoning off of my chicken breasts or anything like that. [/quote]
Which exercises did you add?

[quote]OZJ wrote:

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:

[quote]OZJ wrote:

Diet was pretty much eating what I wanted within reason. I avoided crappy foods, but I wasn’t scraping seasoning off of my chicken breasts or anything like that. [/quote]
Which exercises did you add?[/quote]

Nothing super fancy, tricep extensions and close grip bench, pull ups and rows, leg extensions and Romanian deadlifts, front squats and lunges, lateral raises and military presses. Basic stuff mostly.

Just posting to say great job.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Just posting to say great job.[/quote]

Appreciate it!

Fucking fantastic job! Keep doing what you’re doing and maybe lower the calories to maintenance to keep the right weight for whatever you wanna do. You’re a beast.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Unless you wish to become a mass monster, which would be a different discussion involving a lot of other factors, just use common sense when gaining.
[/quote]

What if one wants to become a mass monster?

[quote]jgreene wrote:
Fucking fantastic job! Keep doing what you’re doing and maybe lower the calories to maintenance to keep the right weight for whatever you wanna do. You’re a beast.[/quote]

Thanks a lot man, I spent the last few weeks keeping track of calories and protein intake, and I’m usually eating 3400-3500 calories and well over 150 grams of protein. I think I’ve actually leaned out a little this past month or two as well.