2 Year Plateau?

I’m looking for some help on a new training routine for the fall. For the past two years it seems I’ve been stuck in the same routine of bulking and cutting only find myslf gaining 1 or 2 pounds of muscle at the end of it all. I’ve been training for almost 8 years now, and really want to step it up to the next level.

Over the years I have made decent (slow) gains using split routines, volume training, supersets, etc. Never really got into the full body routine, however most of my exercises in my later years were heavy compound movements. Usually on my mass phases I’m gaining 25 pounds and cutting phases dropping about a pound a week.

I’m looking to gain 10-15 pounds this year without having to cut 30 pounds of fat in doing so. Can I get some love here on what my next move is? Here’s the tale of the tape: 29 yrs old. 5’9 165lbs 8% bf. The pics are from last year, as I’m a little leaner now. Also, ideas on weak point training based on the pics would be helpful.

I’ll leave the advice on your routine up to the others as they may have more insightful information, but I do think pics of your legs will be asked for, so just a heads up. Best of luck.

More pics would definitely be helpful.
What are your current stats?
What are your long term goals?
If you are having a hard time getting bigger, then maybe nutrition should be looked into more than your workout.
It’s going to be hard for anyone on here to critique your workout or anything if we dont’ know what it currently is.

eat. lift heavy. sleep.

Tell us more about how you bulk and cut, sounds like that’s where the problem is.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
Tell us more about how you bulk and cut, sounds like that’s where the problem is.[/quote]

You can look at him and tell that. For 8 years worth of training, I am sure he bulks up over a very short period of time and is back to cutting within months. Otherwise, he would have made more progress.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
blue9steel wrote:
You can look at him and tell that. For 8 years worth of training, I am sure he bulks up over a very short period of time and is back to cutting within months. Otherwise, he would have made more progress.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking I did the dsame thing for 4 years or so and little to know progress. Now been going straight about two years and progress is Silly good.

Im betting he bulks and just gets to the point where he’s gaining good gets uncomfortable with the BF level and cuts. Id say get to that level and Hold there keep gaining slower now and add some good mass over time.

Just my 2cc

Phill

My advice is to find out what your dominant muscles fibers are in the Bench Press, Barbell Row, and the Squat & Deadlift. Once you figure that part out, you need to find out how to target your dominant fibers. It makes sense right?

Yea, fast can acted like slow and slow can act like fast. However, I still recommend testing your fiber make-up as accurate as possible and targeting your dominant fibers.

**This might just be ONE of your problems

Forget about “bulking and cutting” for a while. A long while.

Am I the only one who thinks that at his level of upper body muscularity and a height of 5’9" a weight of 165 means he must have no legs whatsoever?!

I would have guessed about 15-20lbs heavier from that pic and knowing his height.

of course i could be stupid.

[quote]Stuey wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that at his level of upper body muscularity and a height of 5’9" a weight of 165 means he must have no legs whatsoever?!

I would have guessed about 15-20lbs heavier from that pic and knowing his height.

of course i could be stupid.[/quote]

No, your point is very valid.

To the OP:

Stop fucking cutting. You have been doing this for 8 years with little gains. Take a look at Professor X’s profile. That is the result of 10 years or so of bulking.

How?

Easy. Don’t get caught in the cut/bulk bullshit. Just bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk. Are you at the size you want to be? Good, then bulk somemore!.. Do this for a couple of years. See where you are. Then see whether you should cut.

Also, the way you say you have a tub of lard around the stomach makes me think you should probably get your diet in order. I put on loads of weight with minimal BF gains…

Also… Bodyweight/heigh suggests no legs. Training your legs. Quads/hams. Big muscles. Big muscles = big GH release = more overall growth. Plus, no one wants to look like they are sitting on a chicken!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
blue9steel wrote:
Tell us more about how you bulk and cut, sounds like that’s where the problem is.

You can look at him and tell that. For 8 years worth of training, I am sure he bulks up over a very short period of time and is back to cutting within months. Otherwise, he would have made more progress.[/quote]

It sounds like he’s overdoing his bulks and gaining double the fat-to-muscle and then counter-productively cutting afte a short bulk where he puts on a lot of fat. Losing muscle in the process. You need to eat less on your bulk and bulk for longer.