2 Workouts, Different Rep Ranges

Hmm… I bashed out a 5x5 ‘‘lower’’ workout tonight- squats, sumo DL, single leg leg press, quad extensions, HS curls, calves raises… have to say I really didn’t feel the pump like I normally do. Is this normal when comparing something higher reps/lower weights to a high weight/low reps workout?

[quote]ShutUpAndSquat wrote:
Hmm… I bashed out a 5x5 ‘‘lower’’ workout tonight- squats, sumo DL, single leg leg press, quad extensions, HS curls, calves raises… have to say I really didn’t feel the pump like I normally do. Is this normal when comparing something higher reps/lower weights to a high weight/low reps workout?[/quote]

yes, generally

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Artem wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
245 on heavy days, 205 on medium, and 185 on light days. I’m doing this specifically to bring up my squat as it sucks, and I go until my hamstrings hit my calves.

On heavy days, i’m only getting in like 9-12 reps, so it’s really low volume.

9-12 all sets combined?
I ask because I’ve never heard of bodybuilders squatting heavy so frequently. It’s great for newbie gains.

Like it’s only 3 sets on whatever given day.

heavy day= 3 sets of 1-4 reps
Medium day= 3 sets of 6-9reps
light day= 3 sets of 12-15 reps

This is done before the rest of my workout. Push day is heavy squatting, then chest, shoulders, tris, and abs. Pull day is medium squatting, then back, biceps, and forearms. Leg day is light squatting (warmup purposes really) then quads, hamstrings, and calves.

[/quote]

Thats not really accurate.

Perhaps the “heavy day” is heavy cause of the weight used relating to your 1RPM-but from the perspective of workload,the “heavy day” would be your “light day”(45reps)

Regardeless of that,if you work really “hard” on your ranges there is no really recovery:
If your light day of 3x12-15 is really hard ass squat its not a recovery day after all.
When you use a load which is high for the 3x12-15 rep/set scheme,there is no way to call it a recovery day.

When your heavy day with 3x1-4 with say 90%of 1rpm is your hevy day then your medium day will be 3x1-4 with 80% and your light day will be 3x1-4 with 70%.
A light day with 3x15 or 4x10 with lets say 70-75%1rpm is NO recovery day and will not spur progress.(light would be 4x10 with approx 50%of 1rpm in this case).

Don´t want to be a smartass-just don´t wonder if it quits working-and do it till it does.
science

[quote]science wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Artem wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
245 on heavy days, 205 on medium, and 185 on light days. I’m doing this specifically to bring up my squat as it sucks, and I go until my hamstrings hit my calves.

On heavy days, i’m only getting in like 9-12 reps, so it’s really low volume.

9-12 all sets combined?
I ask because I’ve never heard of bodybuilders squatting heavy so frequently. It’s great for newbie gains.

Like it’s only 3 sets on whatever given day.

heavy day= 3 sets of 1-4 reps
Medium day= 3 sets of 6-9reps
light day= 3 sets of 12-15 reps

This is done before the rest of my workout. Push day is heavy squatting, then chest, shoulders, tris, and abs. Pull day is medium squatting, then back, biceps, and forearms. Leg day is light squatting (warmup purposes really) then quads, hamstrings, and calves.

Thats not really accurate.

Perhaps the “heavy day” is heavy cause of the weight used relating to your 1RPM-but from the perspective of workload,the “heavy day” would be your “light day”(45reps)

Regardeless of that,if you work really “hard” on your ranges there is no really recovery:
If your light day of 3x12-15 is really hard ass squat its not a recovery day after all.
When you use a load which is high for the 3x12-15 rep/set scheme,there is no way to call it a recovery day.

When your heavy day with 3x1-4 with say 90%of 1rpm is your hevy day then your medium day will be 3x1-4 with 80% and your light day will be 3x1-4 with 70%.
A light day with 3x15 or 4x10 with lets say 70-75%1rpm is NO recovery day and will not spur progress.(light would be 4x10 with approx 50%of 1rpm in this case).

Don´t want to be a smartass-just don´t wonder if it quits working-and do it till it does.
science
[/quote]

How about we stop hijacking this thread…and the light day is indeed “light” in that it’s not done to failure. More of a warmup for the rest of leg day. And yes I mean heavy as far as relative intensity of 1RM