2 Wks Out of a K1 Tournament

wanted to give a short update. i lost somebody from my family and the funeral will be the day of the fight. So starting is no longer an option for. the tournament seemes to be cursed…

Dispite that i recovered pretty well . additionally i got a cold last week but i think that was just because the body was recovering.

@rasturai: My doctor said they would be able to diagnose that and would hinder a fighter starting. but ist is only possible to do that if the fighter tells about his reduced performance and all the other symptoms. If you go to med check and do not tell anything they would just recognize the messed up blood pressure and changes are the would let you start.

[quote]Brisks wrote:

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
I’m frowning at this right now. [/quote]

why is that? he made the right decision.[/quote]

Not really, feeling a bit tired and not mentally being in the right place doesn’t make it right to pull out. No one feels 100% going into a fight. It’s not fair to the people he would have fought to pull out so late.[/quote]

Exactly.

This may come down to inexperience though. I believe he’s only had a handful of fights and is over protective of himself.

There is a certain element of lack of care one needs to make it as a fighter and this is a hard thing to develop. It’s something that’s usually inbuilt and not all of us can have it.

With all due respect, the OP thought about it too much. Thinking does that to you. You will rationalize a million and one ways and reasons to pull out of a fight. Fact is you have to fight those demons and carry on.

I was in your situation a couple of months back feeling the sickest I ever have before a fight. I was asked to dog the fight and take a fall which made me mad so I still fought (although the fight was sloppy) but rather I be knocked out than taking a dive.

I won the fight but went into shock the same night, caught a fever for 6 days at 39 degree Celsius and ended up with pneumonia.

Some may thing that’s excessive but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I healed and fought 4 weeks later with a partially torn hamstring.

I dominated first round but come second round he hit the mark with one leg kick which made me wince and he capitalized on it and belted the hell out of it.

Again, so much trauma sent me into shock and I passed out 3 times after the fight.
2 weeks later, I’m still walking around with the attached picture injury.

Again, wouldn’t have it any other way.

Fighters who go into fights claiming to be 100% are full of shit or haven’t trained hard enough.

Sure you have to hide it to not give your opponent and advantage but if you don’t want to fight no matter what condition you’re in, I suggest you find another sport that doesn’t demand so much of you

[quote]humble wrote:

[quote]Brisks wrote:

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
I’m frowning at this right now. [/quote]

why is that? he made the right decision.[/quote]

Not really, feeling a bit tired and not mentally being in the right place doesn’t make it right to pull out. No one feels 100% going into a fight. It’s not fair to the people he would have fought to pull out so late.[/quote]

Exactly.

This may come down to inexperience though. I believe he’s only had a handful of fights and is over protective of himself.

There is a certain element of lack of care one needs to make it as a fighter and this is a hard thing to develop. It’s something that’s usually inbuilt and not all of us can have it.

With all due respect, the OP thought about it too much. Thinking does that to you. You will rationalize a million and one ways and reasons to pull out of a fight. Fact is you have to fight those demons and carry on.

I was in your situation a couple of months back feeling the sickest I ever have before a fight. I was asked to dog the fight and take a fall which made me mad so I still fought (although the fight was sloppy) but rather I be knocked out than taking a dive.

I won the fight but went into shock the same night, caught a fever for 6 days at 39 degree Celsius and ended up with pneumonia.

Some may thing that’s excessive but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I healed and fought 4 weeks later with a partially torn hamstring.

I dominated first round but come second round he hit the mark with one leg kick which made me wince and he capitalized on it and belted the hell out of it.

Again, so much trauma sent me into shock and I passed out 3 times after the fight.
2 weeks later, I’m still walking around with the attached picture injury.

Again, wouldn’t have it any other way.

Fighters who go into fights claiming to be 100% are full of shit or haven’t trained hard enough.

Sure you have to hide it to not give your opponent and advantage but if you don’t want to fight no matter what condition you’re in, I suggest you find another sport that doesn’t demand so much of you

[/quote]

here’s a recent article that kinda builds on what you’re saying here…

â??Fighters are like strippers: They ainâ??t paying their way through college,â?? Leben said. â??If you donâ??t understand what that means, you have to realize that there is always something underlying with all of us. Nobody in their right mind, no normal, sane person, goes â??F— college, screw my guidance counselor. Iâ??m going to put all my chips in one basket to become a cage fighter so I can get the crap kicked out of me in front of other people.â?? Obviously, there is something wrong going on there.

â??This guy (McGee) right here is the perfect example. Itâ??s that obsessive energy that we have that makes us different. Itâ??s that obsessive energy that, yeah, makes me cause a lot of problems for myself in my life. But look, look at where heâ??s at now, willing to do whatever it is. Most fighters I know do whatever they do 110 percent.

For me, itâ??s all or nothing,â?? he said. â??Itâ??s either full throttle or nothing. Either Iâ??m eating ice cream and candy or Iâ??m dieting 100 percent. Iâ??m yin and yang. If I go out and have a drink, Iâ??m going to go out and get [expletive] trashed. I know that. Thatâ??s why Iâ??m not going to do that tonight. Itâ??s the same thing in the ring and itâ??s that type of personality that makes all of us up here in front of you, itâ??s what got us here. We all have something like that in us.â??

haha, funny thing. my leg looked exactly the same after my last fight…

after 1 week the blood started running down in my leg and i had a dark track on my shinebone.
my food darkened then - it looked really awkward. the pictures were taken before the blessings got really dark on the second day.

i know what you mean and you are right i only train for 3 years and have about five fights. so i do not posses a lot of experience. But i got leg kicked hard about 20 times and i still didnt give up although i could not move anymore.

i am used to have pain and i have nothing against fighting under pain. But doing something that hard when have you feel sick is something different. and entering a tournament with that in you head. man i dont know it doesnt seem to bee that honorable to enter a fight and know about a great chance of loosing and get your ass whooped…

but i recovered well i would start if my grandmother has not passed away. what i regret is not thinking about taking the fight. i regret whining in the internet. This site is a great source of information and i was looking for another option

[quote]dnbjoe wrote:
i know what you mean and you are right i only train for 3 years and have about five fights. so i do not posses a lot of experience. But i got leg kicked hard about 20 times and i still didnt give up although i could not move anymore.

i am used to have pain and i have nothing against fighting under pain. But doing something that hard when have you feel sick is something different. and entering a tournament with that in you head. man i dont know it doesnt seem to bee that honorable to enter a fight and know about a great chance of loosing and get your ass whooped…

but i recovered well i would start if my grandmother has not passed away. what i regret is not thinking about taking the fight. i regret whining in the internet. This site is a great source of information and i was looking for another option[/quote]

for what it’s worth, i agree with your decision, and with your family’s loss, even more so.

i think every time you get ready to fight, you should be chomping at the bit, raring to go…if you’re not, something’s wrong. either you’re tired of juggling a career and a fighter’s lifestyle (and you’re jsut done with fighting for a while, or even permanenetly), or something like you had, severe overtraining (or illness).

i think you’ll prolly be good to go next time you fight, and will manage your time better. it’s just not your time right now, and at least you didn’t sustain a severe injury… it’s a learning experience, and even if we couldn’t really help ya, i think your situation made me a little more aware for down the road…

^ I want to reiterate that by what I said, I didn’t mean to judge you or your decision if it came across that way.

Each person deals with things differently and some people need totally clear minds before engaging in a fight.

Others just have an inbuilt hyperactive fight or flight system geared towards fight.

Like you, one night before the fight I also got news my father in law was dying of a rare type of brain cancer… just like that, out of the blue. It buckled my mind no doubt as I was weeping for him the night before. All of this has an effect on you physical well being and each person deals with it differently.

Good luck with your future fights though and I hope you do well.

Hard sparring cures everything. Mike Tyson would FIGHT everyday…no one day on one day off crap…everyday YOU HAVE TO FIGHT. That’s what Kevin Rooney had Mike Tyson doing…and guess what…when you HAVE to FIGHT everyday you learn a lot about yourself and you learn to fight feeling like shit. I felt like absolute shit tonight I got a lot of shit on my mind but I still went to class…takes an hour drive, and sparred and you know after I felt great. And like Mike said…you gotta fight each time you get in there…fight for your life…it doesnt matter…older, younger…just fight for your life everytime.

i honestly have to say thanks for that great discussion. did not expect that in the internet.
guess we combat athletes are a little bit different compared to internet heroes.

so we discussed a lot of different things and everybody said something right. especially rasturai. that was a good statement to close the thread :slight_smile:

for me it indeed was a learning experience. did not expect that training and working hard can do more damage to your body than making your muscles sore. but doubling your reaction time is a funny experience.

i recovered pretty well… ate like shit but gained all the muscle back and look leaner too. already started training an sparring again. hopefully i can fight soon although there is a bit of a summer break in austria.

thanks for all the advice