T Nation

2 Weeks Off. What Do I Do?

After a couple months or so of lifting, my body will not fail to remind me it’s time to take a week or two off. Which I do.

But the thing is, I hate to stop lifting for so long and essentially lose a part of my gains. So what to do during these weeks off?

How about a bit of flexing / posing? Just static or slow-motion contractions, let the antagonists work agains each other (biceps against triceps, etc.).

I don’t know how old you are or the level of activity you can sustain, so this will be difficult.

First, you should always be shifting gears at the gym. Sometimes heavy, sometimes light. Different exercises. Keep things fresh, and you won’t need any time off.

If I felt worn down, I’d go in and do 50% PR for two sets, 15 reps for a couple vital exercises. Really fast, get out in about half an hour. Maybe start thinking about a new variation of my routine. Make something look exciting. Maybe a challenge.

If you can’t go to a gym… mountainbike. Ride your motorcycle. Find a pickup game for 7’s rugby. You can always sharpen your zombie or alien killing skills. Oh, forgot. Have lots of sex. That’s all I got.

[quote]florin wrote:
After a couple months or so of lifting, my body will not fail to remind me it’s time to take a week or two off. Which I do.

But the thing is, I hate to stop lifting for so long and essentially lose a part of my gains. So what to do during these weeks off?

How about a bit of flexing / posing? Just static or slow-motion contractions, let the antagonists work agains each other (biceps against triceps, etc.).[/quote]

If you lose your “gains” in one week you haven’t made much progress.

I agree with what Kroby is saying. It sounds like you need some planned variation in your training. Volume and intensity (% of 1RM) are going to be the biggest factors to adjust. Jack Reape has written a couple of great articles about cycling your training. Check out
Back Off and Grow
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=546953

and

Cycle, Peak, Taper, Dominate
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=741658

[quote]kroby wrote:
I don’t know how old you are or the level of activity you can sustain, so this will be difficult.

First, you should always be shifting gears at the gym. Sometimes heavy, sometimes light. Different exercises. Keep things fresh, and you won’t need any time off.

If I felt worn down, I’d go in and do 50% PR for two sets, 15 reps for a couple vital exercises. Really fast, get out in about half an hour. Maybe start thinking about a new variation of my routine. Make something look exciting. Maybe a challenge.

If you can’t go to a gym… mountainbike. Ride your motorcycle. Find a pickup game for 7’s rugby. You can always sharpen your zombie or alien killing skills. Oh, forgot. Have lots of sex. That’s all I got.[/quote]

Better advice than this with respect to “layoffs” or “down-time” cannot be found.

In general, for me, a change-up of rep ranges and perceived intensity on a regular basis has removed my need for layoffs due to body or nervous system exhaustion.

Excellent response Kroby.

You could always do some bodyweight stuff, and also some light stuff with jumpstretch bands.

Deload completely for 1 week instead of deloading partially for 2 weeks.

Two weeks off sounds like a little too much.