The wife will be entering a teacher residency program this coming school year. It basically allows her to do her student teaching (kind of like a year long training program) and get a normal teacher salary.
The down side is that she has to do a 5-week summer course (8am-4pm) every day. There is a possibility of a stipend (no idea how much) at the end of it, though itâ??s not guaranteed. This would basically leave her without a paycheck for 2 months. We both currently make about the same pay, so that would be a huge hit.
We are/were planning on a buying a house in a few months, and obviously might need to rethink that, or make sure we have plenty saved to hold us over.
By the summer she would have a few weeks worth of vacation time saved up, that she could possibly take â??vacationâ?? for 2 weeks and then quit, which would provide us with at least one more paycheck over the summer. I highly doubt they would allow her to put in her 2 weeks notice, and then take vacation during that period. So, how bad would this idea be? I realize professional courtesy would say not to, but I highly doubt she would or even could return to this job even if she did give a real 2 weeks notice.
It’s obviously really early to have to make a decision here, just thinking of different scenarios.