T Nation

2 Rep Max vs 1 Rep Max

i find that in the ramp portion of the layer, the 2 RM is more demanding than the 1 rm.
when i start getting into the higher weights, i’m effectively doing more reps at the 80% and above category. pushing to do 1 rep is a heck of lot easier than pushing to do that second one.

[quote]domcib wrote:
i find that in the ramp portion of the layer, the 2 RM is more demanding than the 1 rm.
when i start getting into the higher weights, i’m effectively doing more reps at the 80% and above category. pushing to do 1 rep is a heck of lot easier than pushing to do that second one. [/quote]

I’m the same way. I’m very good at ones and moderately acceptable at 2 and 3 :slight_smile:

But the body adapts to it, don’t worry.

One method I’m liking right now for strength is:

Ramp to a 1RM in a longer range of motion (e.g. bench press 3" from chest)
Drop down to 70% and ramp back up to a 1RM in a moderate range (e.g. bench press from mid-point)
Drop down to 70% and ramp back up to a 1RM in a short range of motion (e.g. bench press lockout from pins)
1 or 2 cluster sets of the initial range of motion with about 80%

Interesting, how would you adapt this for snatch grip high pulls? Ramp to a 1RM in a high pull? Drop down to 70% and ramp back up to moderate range via Chinese high pull? Then drop down to 70% in a low pull back up to a 1RM. Then do 1 to 2 sets of clusters with 80% of weight achieved in 1RM of high pull?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
when i start getting into the higher weights, i’m effectively doing more reps at the 80% and above category. pushing to do 1 rep is a heck of lot easier than pushing to do that second one. [/quote]

I’m the same way. I’m very good at ones and moderately acceptable at 2 and 3 :slight_smile:

But the body adapts to it, don’t worry.

One method I’m liking right now for strength is:

Ramp to a 1RM in a longer range of motion (e.g. bench press 3" from chest)
Drop down to 70% and ramp back up to a 1RM in a moderate range (e.g. bench press from mid-point)
Drop down to 70% and ramp back up to a 1RM in a short range of motion (e.g. bench press lockout from pins)
1 or 2 cluster sets of the initial range of motion with about 80%
[/quote]
that really sounds awesome!
you’re killin me here.
im going to be starting that phase 3 you recommended next week, for 4 weeks.
now you’re throwin at me something that sounds like tons of fun.
i dont know if being behind you 4 weeks or so is motivational or frustrating… lol.